• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Alder Lake-S leaks

Soldato
If the E cores were that good, why haven't Intel just released a 32 E-Core part? (or however many would fit in the same space) :)
I've said similar. Intel's stagnation aside, Skylake isn't exactly rubbish even now. If Gracemont is supposedly on par with Skylake without Hyperthreading, how monstrous would 32 Gracemont cores be on desktop?

But Intel have woeful interconnect technologies, so that kills the idea stone dead.

Soldato
I've said similar. Intel's stagnation aside, Skylake isn't exactly rubbish even now. If Gracemont is supposedly on par with Skylake without Hyperthreading, how monstrous would 32 Gracemont cores be on desktop?

But Intel have woeful interconnect technologies, so that kills the idea stone dead.

It might be on par until a point. Ie the cache isn’t being pushed hard and the latency from the mesh NUMA arrangement is suitable to the work load.

V F

V F

Soldato
You can thank AMD for this.

Without them, the 12700 would still have only four cores!

Imagine 4 cores was still a thing today. Horrible thought. Remember you had to spend a lot from Intel to get the Hex core platform.

Associate
Thinking of getting the 12900k. Will the Artic Liquid Freezer II 240MM with the lga 1700 bracket be sufficient to cool it? Don’t really have the case clearance for >240.

Soldato
Soldato
Soldato
OP
Permabanned
Do you know what the difference in power draw is chip vs chip in gaming? Is it vastly different? Not sure, just asking as curious.

Around 80-100W also. So you estimate these pull the same wattage?

The games stress quite lightly the CPU during gaming sessions. Gaming is generally a light workload.
So, even 60-80-watt is possible, especially at 3840x2160 4K UHD.

Caporegime
What benchmarks? Definitely not games as I mentioned I've never had a CPU need over 130w for a game I'll give you a thousand pounds if the 12900k draws 240w in any of those games they tested
I'm wondering if it is double the power usage vs the 5950X in games? It is in all core workloads i guess, but what about gaming loads?

Associate
Newegg seems to have accidentally shipped the i9 12900k to some customers ahead of release. Heres hoping we get some benchmarks before the 4th.

Soldato
If the E cores were that good, why haven't Intel just released a 32 E-Core part? (or however many would fit in the same space) :)

It wouldn't be good enough, you'd get less than Comet Lake performance with E-cores only, due to the lower clocks.

Games and many other applications still benefit from powerful cores, much less so from over 8 cores.

In theory, they could have a 40 E-core Alder Lake CPU, but you'd run into power limits pretty quickly, and it would be slower than modern CPUs in many tasks.

It seems clear that the small cores are purely designed to boost multithreading benchmarks (but might offer some additional performance when the large cores are being fully utilized)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom