• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Alder Lake-S leaks

Associate
Is there any chart that confirms that?

Would be pretty ass to buy during Raptor Lake's release and then find out you can't even upgrade to Meteor Lake.

No official chart as such but I am certain that Raprtor lake will be LGA 1700 considering the last lot have had a socket change every 2 years , what is not set in concrete is weather meteor lake will still use lga 1700 but as I put above I have read a few things couple months ago on videocardz website stating intel wanted to move away from the 2 year cycle and be at least 3 kinda like what amd have done in the past... time will tell but its safe to sat raptor lake is lga1700:)

Man of Honour
So standoffs/mounting kit would need to be included in the box if that's the case I guess. I've asked Asus via tweet to confirm as it logically makes sense for something to be in the box since they have both sets of holes. Otherwise why include 1200 mounting on a board range that won't take a 1200 CPU.

Associate
Will that only be for the DDR5 boards though? as I can't imagine Intel going with the dual memory controller for 3 generations?

If they do stick with lga 1700 for 3 generations then I imagine it will be with some caveat in that states yeah it will fit the lga 1700 socket but is incompatible with ddr4 and can only be used with ddr5 boards.

Soldato
OP
If they do stick with lga 1700 for 3 generations then I imagine it will be with some caveat in that states yeah it will fit the lga 1700 socket but is incompatible with ddr4 and can only be used with ddr5 boards.

thats why I don't like this idea of inter operability- maybe it works for some but you can't future proof a motherboard for tech that doesn't exist - rule of thumb is to use the board that was designed for your cpu

Soldato
Are all these cpu's water cooled exclusively ? Just seems like another expensive requirement.

I'd really like to upgrade my i7 4790 to either a 12700 or 12900 but this is getting silly.
The i9 12900k is 241 watts which is out of spec for a lot of dual rad AIO's so yes your looking at high end triple rad AIO's or custom water for the 12900K bad boy but the 12700 at 190 watts should be ok for most dual radiator AIO's.

Associate
I think the Noctua NH-D15 would still suffice for the 12900k, on a compatible board. Its too bad it doesn't work with Asus ROG Strix boards so if you are on one of those, yes only water cooling can be used

How does it not work with the Asus ROG boards? I thought there was even more compatibility with Asus boards.

Associate
The i9 12900k is 241 watts which is out of spec for a lot of dual rad AIO's so yes your looking at high end triple rad AIO's or custom water for the 12900K bad boy but the 12700 at 190 watts should be ok for most dual radiator AIO's.
240w for a desktop CPU is obscence. IMHO more states / countries should adopt the rules introduced in California.

Associate
Depends on the use-case. For gaming it will never reach 241w, so a good 240MM rad should work.
How does it not work with the Asus ROG boards? I thought there was even more compatibility with Asus boards.
See their motherboard compatibility chart. None of the ROG Strix DDR4 boards are compatible with NH-D15 due to the height of the VRM heatsink.

https://ncc.noctua.at/motherboards/model/ASUS-ROG-Strix-Z690-A-Gaming-WiFi-D4-5375
https://ncc.noctua.at/motherboards/model/ASUS-ROG-Strix-Z690-I-Gaming-WiFi-D4-5377

Associate
240w for a desktop CPU is obscence. IMHO more states / countries should adopt the rules introduced in California.

This is nothing. NVIDIA is launching a 450W RTX 3090 Ti in early 2022. Imagine this being used with the 12900k. I imagine the whole room will become an oven.

Man of Honour
Thought the whole point of modern tech was to run cooler, not hotter :/

Hell even Intel themselves in their presentation said Alder Lake runs cooler than last gen!

We will just have to wait for actual reviews to get an understanding of thermals regardless of what the TDP max values are on paper as I think there is much more to it than just a spec figure.

Associate
Exactly - total system power needs to be cut and IMHO will be.

It will be interesting to see how the 5950x compares with the 12900k in gaming as it seems Intel have pushed it to the absolute limit to eke out that ~15% win over it, with that Win 11 L3 cache issue no less. If the 5950X is like 95% of the way there while running at 140W, that makes it a better buy IMO. I am not getting a 360MM rad just to game on a 12900k.

Man of Honour
If it's purely for gaming then why even bother with the 12900K though when arguably the 12700 has the same P cores which games care about more? Slight drop in L3 cache and frequency aside, can't see there being a £££ gain in performance between the two at high res gaming?

Associate
Depends on the use-case. For gaming it will never reach 241w, so a good 240MM rad should work.

See their motherboard compatibility chart. None of the ROG Strix DDR4 boards are compatible with NH-D15 due to the height of the VRM heatsink.

https://ncc.noctua.at/motherboards/model/ASUS-ROG-Strix-Z690-A-Gaming-WiFi-D4-5375
https://ncc.noctua.at/motherboards/model/ASUS-ROG-Strix-Z690-I-Gaming-WiFi-D4-5377

Damn cheers for that I've just cancelled the Noctua kit, What the hell Asus!? A mainstream cooler not compatible with their layout is such an oversight.

Associate
It will be interesting to see how the 5950x compares with the 12900k in gaming as it seems Intel have pushed it to the absolute limit to eke out that ~15% win over it, with that Win 11 L3 cache issue no less. If the 5950X is like 95% of the way there while running at 140W, that makes it a better buy IMO. I am not getting a 360MM rad just to game on a 12900k.
IMHO, in this day and age there is no excuse to waste power to that degree. Intel says it expects to ship 2m this Qrt. 240w+ water cooler for exactly what. SFA.

Back
Top Bottom