• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Alder Lake-S leaks

12900k is still clocked higher and has more L3 cache so it should be faster in gaming. Games don’t care about core counts so 12700k has that covered.

But that's my point though! The 12900 will be faster for games yeah for sure, but will it be that much faster to warrant the extra cost? Not so sure, hence why there must be a reason why Intel left it out of their slides knowing that if it was in there, most sales would go to that instead and also why there's this whole embargo going on because reviewers will no doubt mention the 12700K even though press kits don't include it.

Alderlakes "quad channel" is 4 32bit channels vs 2 64bit channels on Z590 isn't it? Not really the same as current quad channel implementations.

I recently heard about this and you are correct. I suppose what I meant about quad channel memory, is transferring data between the motherboard and all 4 RAM modules simultaneously, with dual channel memory only 2 of the modules can be accessed at any time.

So, with 4 modules, the total memory bandwidth would be double that of a dual channel motherboard.

Z690 motherboards are still referred to as dual channel, in the specification.

Last edited:
Ok so did some benches on the 6700k and timings just for kicks in anticipation of when the 12700K is up and running. Any predictions on what I will be looking at? :p

First up a Lightroom export batch of 50 processed RAW images to JPEG 100% - Export location is an NVMe drive.

50 processed RAW .cr2 files export to NVMe

6700K stock:
3m 03s (181s)

Projected time for full batch of 1000 RAWs (typical):
60m 60s (3636s)

The full batch time is the key thing for me. If that can be slashed to half that then I would be over the moon. Given that even a current gen i3 beats my 6700K in ST/MT by a small amount, I would fully expect this to be better than half the time to export the same images.

Shadow of the Tomb Raider:

3440x1440:
6700k_3440x1440.jpg

2560x1080:
6700k_2560x1080.jpg

In terms of gaming, my native res is 3440x1440 so I don't actually know what to expect here as I don't game at 2560x1080 much any more as most games I do play have DLSS. This bench was done at Ultra settings with DLSS enabled so I guess maybe I'd see a half decent boost at 2560x1080 since the game says I'm GPU bound by only 57% there whereas at native res I'm GPU bound at 98% .

Last edited:
Hard to tell, from what I viewed on Youtube of people running Shadow with DLSS on 21:9 with Ryzen 9 5900x they were getting roughly 80fps minimum. Shadow hits the systems hard on 21:9 all cranked out.

Ok so did some benches on the 6700k and timings just for kicks in anticipation of when the 12700K is up and running. Any predictions on what I will be looking at? :p

First up a Lightroom export batch of 50 processed RAW images to JPEG 100% - Export location is an NVMe drive.

50 processed RAW .cr2 files export to NVMe

6700K stock:
3m 03s (181s)

Projected time for full batch of 1000 RAWs (typical):
60m 60s (3636s)

The full batch time is the key thing for me. If that can be slashed to half that then I would be over the moon. Given that even a current gen i3 beats my 6700K in ST/MT by a small amount, I would fully expect this to be better than half the time to export the same images.

Shadow of the Tomb Raider:

3440x1440:
6700k_3440x1440.jpg

2560x1080:
6700k_2560x1080.jpg

In terms of gaming, my native res is 3440x1440 so I don't actually know what to expect here as I don't game at 2560x1080 much any more as most games I do play have DLSS. This bench was done at Ultra settings with DLSS enabled so I guess maybe I'd see a half decent boost at 2560x1080 since the game says I'm GPU bound by only 57% there whereas at native res I'm GPU bound at 98% .

that game is very sensitive to ram, so it will be interesting to see what affect DDR5 has

Quick question, For the 12900k will the 2 8 Pin 12v CPU power cables have to be connected or just one again?

Coming from a 9700k clocked to 5ghz all core at 1.35v only used 1 8 pin plug I've already downloaded the Strix Z690 Gaming A manual but still doesn't go into detail whether both need connecting or not.

And just 1 more thing this board seems to have an overvolt jumper again no detail whatsoever in the manual just enabled or disabled, If this jumper is on the enabled side will it set like a higher fixed voltage or does it just allow more voltage control in the bios for tuning? Reason I ask on that is because they couldn't have placed that jumper in the most stupidest position right at the top of the board on the edge so once my build is done I won't have access to it because of the AIO.

Thanks in advance.

After seeing people pay over 3k for the 3090 nothing supprises me anymore.

Worth considering how much inflation has devalud the currency also. £1000 today is effectively so much less than £1000 two years ago.

There's still a deluge of currency wanting to find it's way to be spent, bumper dividends, massively inflated portfolios, all thanks to the Bank of England/treasuries quantatative easing march to the great unknown.

Worth considering how much inflation has devalud the currency also. £1000 today is effectively so much less than £1000 two years ago.

There's still a deluge of currency wanting to find it's way to be spent, bumper dividends, massively inflated portfolios, all thanks to the Bank of England/treasuries quantatative easing march to the great unknown.
Inflation hasn't gone up by 300% in the past 2 years though.

Quick question, For the 12900k will the 2 8 Pin 12v CPU power cables have to be connected or just one again?

Coming from a 9700k clocked to 5ghz all core at 1.35v only used 1 8 pin plug I've already downloaded the Strix Z690 Gaming A manual but still doesn't go into detail whether both need connecting or not.

And just 1 more thing this board seems to have an overvolt jumper again no detail whatsoever in the manual just enabled or disabled, If this jumper is on the enabled side will it set like a higher fixed voltage or does it just allow more voltage control in the bios for tuning? Reason I ask on that is because they couldn't have placed that jumper in the most stupidest position right at the top of the board on the edge so once my build is done I won't have access to it because of the AIO.

Thanks in advance.

Just plug both in. The 12900k will draw a lot more power than your 9700k and transients will be greater as well. Having both connected would be ideal.

I would enabler the jumper and manually set your vcore. You'll be thermally limited with an AIO anyway.

The more I read about the things that "could" cause issues the more I leaning going for an AMD 5900x.
Yeah. I am not happy with the pricing of some of these boards, which coupled with the beta testing of the hybrid architecture for gaming is making me wary of it. If the 12900k doesn’t convincingly beat the 5950x in gaming, I think I would rather go for the more mature platform and wait out the DDR5 era until pricing becomes reasonable.

Intel also didn’t test the latest CPU intensive AAA titles like Cyberpunk, WD Legion, Crysis Remastered trilogy which makes me suspicious that it doesn’t quite beat Ryzen there. Cyberounk should have been there at a minimum. At max crowd density, that area behind Tom’s diner with a crowd of NPCs maxes out my 9900K even at 4K and bottlenecks my 3080 Ti with 85% usage.

Back
Top Bottom