Alex Albon joins Max Verstappen at Red Bull

Soldato
Also again, Kvyat wouldn't have ever come close to F1 without their backing, he owes his entire career in F1 completely to Red Bull and without Red bull he likely had no shot of ever coming back into F1 as a driver rather than a test/development/sim driver.
You can't say that, had he not been a RB driver he could well have driven for a different team instead of them and still been in F1.

And I meant Gasly was promoted too early, not Dany, my bad.

Albon is clearly talented but the fact remains that they dumped Dany to give Max a seat, they should have slotted him back in. Dany will clearly go nowhere in F1 with RB they have just proven it.

Associate
Hopefully he causes max problems. That would be hilarious. :D
I really hope Albon does well at Red Bull.

Verstappen has matured a lot though. Some extremely impressive and consistent performances from him this season. I could easily be wrong, but I'm guessing we'll hear fewer offers to headbutt reporters and also fewer handbag fights a là Ocon Brazil unlap incident.

Man of Honour
Verstappen has matured a lot though. Some extremely impressive and consistent performances from him this season. I could easily be wrong, but I'm guessing we'll hear fewer offers to headbutt reporters and also fewer handbag fights a là Ocon Brazil unlap incident.

Yeah - a lot of the fact I've taken any interest in F1 at all this season is that he has looked like he might be able to up his game enough to make things difficult for LH.

Soldato
I'm sure part of the reason Ric left was knowing full well if you're racing on the same piece of tarmac as Max, you need to back off or he'll drive into you (that and the team won't ever blame Max). The problem with having a fast team mate is the cars are evenly matched in every corner, so any overtake is probably going to be marginal.

If Albon is fast enough to share the same piece of track with him (a big if) we could get some fireworks again. He's matured massively but that part of him is just his driving style, take no prisoners. Look how Hamilton waited to take a clean drs overtake and how much room he gave rather than dive straight up the inside at the first opportunity. He wouldn't have been so careful around a Vettel or Alonso he trusted to race fairly.

Soldato
I partly agree but I don’t think the recent Hamilton example is a good one. It is just as likely that he new Verstappen’s tyres had fallen off a cliff, and he may not have had the full control of the car braking at the end of the straight, i.e. just understeered straight into him.

Soldato
I partly agree but I don’t think the recent Hamilton example is a good one. It is just as likely that he new Verstappen’s tyres had fallen off a cliff, and he may not have had the full control of the car braking at the end of the straight, i.e. just understeered straight into him.

But part of that is that Vettel or Alonso would know their tyres are shot and not risk losing the big bulk of points, whereas Verstappen still occasionally seems to have the mindset of never give in even when the fight is already lost.

Caporegime
Look how Hamilton waited to take a clean drs overtake and how much room he gave rather than dive straight up the inside at the first opportunity. He wouldn't have been so careful around a Vettel or Alonso he trusted to race fairly.

I've seen so many people say this, he had multiple laps and it's a terrible track for overtaking. Outside of turn 1, 2, and 3 and 4 if you have a car advantage, no one overtakes anywhere else unless it's wet. Hamilton would have waited to pass on the straight in those conditions against every single driver on the grid, bar none.

Multiple drivers were waiting for the straight despite a huge car or tire advantage throughout the race. Cars with a 2-3 second pace advantage weren't driving around the outside in the final sector even though they could, but chose to wait for the straight where the backmarkers also preferred being overtaken as they lost less time.

The idea Hamilton waited for the straight because he was worried Max would hit him is absolutely absurd. As for Ricciardo leaving because his team mate might drive into him, throughout the previous two seasons they very rarely occupied the same piece of track and the team didn't blame Ricciardo for Baku or absolve Max of blame, the sole thing that Ricciardo claimed was that the team asked him not to blame Max to the media, nothing more or less. But for the most part Ricciardo simply didn't have Max's pace and was rarely fighting on the same piece of track.

Also you're describing Ricciardo, a guy who has been dive bombing people so late that multiple drivers were driving off track to avoid him and he knew that drivers knew he would make stupid late moves and get out of the way rather than have their races ruined. The idea that Ricciardo left because Max would hit him rather than let him pass when Ricciardo's spent the last 5 years using that exact tactic on everyone else and that he was almost never able to come close to Max's pace is, well, silly.

Back
Top Bottom