Algeria hostage crisis

Soldato
over internet conspiracy idiots? yes

bbc refrence for my bin laden point http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-17943175

Fair point

Maybe you should watch that documentary over in speakers corners regarding our media and the government by ITV and the lies they have sold hand in hand. It's pretty much a fact we don't have a free press when it comes to these sorts of matters. It's either say what the government tell you or go out of business, lose your contacts and access.

RDM

RDM

Soldato
Plenty of groups dislike the Jews but then only white people can be racist.:rolleyes:

He linked to a book by David Duke, racist, white supremacist and former KKK grand wizard.

The 100 metres Olympic event is always dominated by 'Black' men. I am no 'White supremacist'. You have had your mind conditioned to the words I wrote like a Pavlovian dog.

No, I reacted to the author of the book you linked. But that was from a constructivist point of view rather than a behaviourist point of view. The sad thing is that you are a victim of the very flaws you accuse others of, perhaps you should apply some healthy scepticism to the rubbish from Duke and his ilk too?

Soldato
Whilst it will be little compensation to the victim's families, the word martyr is appropriate for those killed in this operation (of course I mean the victims and NOT the terrorist hostage takers).

We need to stop bending to hostage takers and send the military in every time. Yes there will be people killed in the short term, but once the kind of scum that do this realise that taking hostages does nothing but bring death to them and we'll never give in to any of their demands the hostage taking will stop.

I cant help feeling that this was a situation where the "Hostage takers" were not expecting to get out of this alive! That being the case, they were not planning for any of the hostages (or the facility) to get out alive either! Remember, these people are of the same ilk as the 9/11 suicide bombers. They glory in their own deaths!

Going in hard and without warning was likely to result in heavy casualties (Possibly even a total loss), but at least it gave "some" people the chance of surviving. delaying and allowing the kidnappers to consolidate their position further would have resulted in certain death for all! (and the certain destruction of the Gas facility)

It is difficult to make a full assessment of the situation since it is still ongoing and information is patchy, but, on balance, I reckon the Algerian response is probabally the right one (Even if they may not have been best equipped to pursue it)

I cant really see how "Negotiation" could ever be a realistic option here (Any more than it would have been on board flight 93!)

Soldato
im expecting further bad news this evening.

you just have to look at the one eyed mess they are showing on the main page of the story. Scary looking dude.

Soldato
I reckon the Algerian response is probabally the right one (Even if they may not have been best equipped to pursue it)

I cant really see how "Negotiation" could ever be a realistic option here (Any more than it would have been on board flight 93!)

I dont think negotiation was ever the plan

letting highly trained and expert hostage rescue special forces do the job would have been (like we offered them)

reports of Algerian gunships firing on cars full of hostages doesnt sound like "hostage rescue" to me

Permabanned
I dont think negotiation was ever the plan

letting highly trained and expert hostage rescue special forces do the job would have been (like we offered them)

reports of Algerian gunships firing on cars full of hostages doesnt sound like "hostage rescue" to me

Do you think the UK would allow foreign special forces with guns to come into our country and allow them to rescue their citizens ? nope thought not, so why should Algeria let the UK use the SAS on their soil

Soldato
Do you think the UK would allow foreign special forces with guns to come into our country and allow them to rescue their citizens ? nope thought not, so why should Algeria let the UK use the SAS on their soil
Well there is a slight difference. We have special forces trained to deal with these situations, it's becoming clear that the Algerians don't have those troops.

Soldato
Dad does loads of work for BP and Statoil. Hopefully no one he knows is caught up in this!

O/T but if anyone here is ever in Oslo, go and checkout the new Statoil building. It's well cool!

Such a shame that the Algerians went straight in without telling anyone first. Should have let the UK SAS, or the Norwegians do it IMHO. I can see the Americans being rather annoyed if it turns out the Algerians botched mission cost lives! Seems like there's no proper information coming out from Algeria currently :(.

Soldato
Can't really see what any special forces could have done in this situation, and it's not like they (inc uk us French forces) haven't cocked up on a regular basis in hostage situations.

Soldato
Dad does loads of work for BP and Statoil. Hopefully no one he knows is caught up in this!

O/T but if anyone here is ever in Oslo, go and checkout the new Statoil building. It's well cool!

Such a shame that the Algerians went straight in without telling anyone first. Should have let the UK SAS, or the Norwegians do it IMHO. I can see the Americans being rather annoyed if it turns out the Algerians botched mission cost lives! Seems like there's no proper information coming out from Algeria currently :(.

I don't know how quickly they could have got "Our" people equipped and out there (And I guess anybody who would know wouldn't be able to say....!) But lets say it was 24 Hrs, that's another 24Hrs for the attackers to set demolition charges. The fact that the whole installation hasn't already gone sky high suggests that they hadn't already done so.

Any delay works to the attackers advantage. All they want is for as many people as possible to be watching for when they finally blow everything up and kill everybody.

There is no (And never was any possibility of their being) happy ending here! The only possible outcomes were either some people die or everybody dies and the longer the delay the more likely that #2 would be the result!

Permabanned
Well there is a slight difference. We have special forces trained to deal with these situations, it's becoming clear that the Algerians don't have those troops.

doesnt matter Camoron cant have his cake and eat it, banging on about sovereignty when it comes to Europe and not respecting Algeria's right to use their own military to sort out a problem in their own country

Soldato
And the fact the Algerians were the ones best suited to the situation, land, people etc not going to be easy flying over to a foreign land, no clue of the area/complex/language etc etc

Back
Top Bottom