Alien Isolation - possible compatibility hack on the way

Associate
Someone on the Oculus subreddit is claiming to be 85-90% of the way to getting AI back up and running on the Rift. Full details here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/6ldafu/some_new_progress_on_fixing_alien_isolation_in_vr/

Support is for the Rift with the possibility of Vive. Just making people aware of this because as he says, the Steam sale ends shortly and you might want to pick up a copy if you don't own it.

I've always said AI is the best VR experience I've ever had, so I hope this guy delivers.

Edit - it works, it rocks, it'll make you poop your pants.

---

Latest release always available from: https://github.com/Nibre/MotherVR/releases/

** Now supports both Rift and Vive **

Last edited:
Associate
OP
One reviewer described it as 'beyond terrifying' on the Rift - that's gotta be worth a go. Hope it makes it to Vive, the atmosphere in the game was excellent.
Playing it on the DK2 is still the best VR experience I've ever had (I am an Aliens fan though). While i never rip my headset off in any game. A:I certainly made me calmly remove my Rift and go and get a nice cup of tea..

Associate
OP
I tried it for a while, was perfect for 10-15 minutes then I started feeling a bit queasy so stopped.

it worked better than I thought it would :) It's going to take a while to get my VR legs for it though.
Try turning up the rotational speed on the right stick. Faster joypad turning generally feels more comfortable for me (as odd as it may seem).

Associate
OP
It's £8 on cdkeys, i'll buy it tomorrow and give it a go, sort of looking forward to it :X
Bargain at that price. It's so atmospheric, and it's one of the few games that utterly overrides any and all failings that I notice with the current VR hardware. Resolution, SDE, FoV - it all fades away for me with Alien Isolation (ok, maybe apart from when you're trying to read a monitor, but hopefully he'll fix that awkward distance problem in a later version of the mod).

Associate
OP
Just played 30 minutes of this. This is so good, exactly what I hoped VR would be. Fully expecting to have nightmares from this. Can't understand why SEGA didn't do it themselves.
30 minutes is a sane amount of time per play session with A:I. It's been a long time since I've played it, and it's fantastic to be able to dive back in. I'd forgotten how amazing and authentic the sound design on this is.

Associate
OP
Yeah ive looked into it myself too and am trying the tolerance thing. Not sure about gamepad moving though as they get me straight away. was so looking forward to playing alien isolation. I put on bioshock on bigscreen and even that made me feel queasy so I think ive got it quite bad. Regards to Project Cars so far 5 people have tried it (including me) and only 2 haven't suffered with motion sickness so not sure its that uncommon.
I'm not sure if Project Cars has this option, but in Dirt Rally, you can enable an option that keeps the horizon level, instead of having the roll of your head move with the car. Normally, your view would tilt with the car, whereas with the alternate method the car tilts around your view while the horizon stays level, which makes it more comfortable for some people.

Associate
OP
Just got this, really impressive, does changing the graphics alter anything with this mod or will it revert back to certain settings? I'm using a 980ti so I'm not sure what I can get away with.
I've always had a problem with A:I not keeping graphics settings, so what I did was to edit the config file that stores the settings for the various graphics levels and copied the max level settings over to those of the lower levels, so regardless of whether it tries to revert to low/med/high etc, it will always be at the top quality settings.

I don't think you'll have any problems maxing things out with a 980ti.

Associate
OP
so I'll just have to crank it up in game each time I play.
Edit the ENGINE_SETTINGS file in the data folder so that it can't use lower settings. For example:

<Setting name="ShadowMapResolution">
<!-- resolution in pixels. -->
<Quality name="512" int="2048" precedence="1"/>
<Quality name="1024" int="2048" precedence="2"/>
<Quality name="1536" int="2048" precedence="3"/>
<Quality name="2048" int="2048" precedence="4">

Above, regardless of whatever shadow setting is selected, it will now use a 2048 res shadow map. Just go through the file and adjust as required.

Associate
OP
This mod doesn't work for me. :( The front end menus render correctly in VR, but when in the game it's like it's sending the images the opposite eyes with a grey bar in the middle. I don't think you can muck the installation up as it's just copying in a DLL. All the other VR games I've tried work fine.
I just get scrabbled menus, I cannot get the rift to work after that unless I restart comp :( I'll try the new version later though
Hmm, what version of the mod? I've only tried the 0.11 version and that worked fine. Not tried 0.2 yet.

Associate
OP
The positional audio for the alien is incredible too on the Rift. You can hear the position of where it's moving through the vents. I know they sort of fake that, as it's not really in the vents when those sounds are played but the illusion is really good.

As you say you jump at every noise. A couple of times I've taken off my headset saying 'nope!' when I hear the alien up ahead. No other game has done that to me.

At the risk of regurgitating an anecdote, one of my most vivid VR memories is playing AI with a buttkicker, and the sound of it in a vent next to me coupled with the thump of the buttkicker has seared that moment into my brain like no other (and that was back on the DK2).

It's still the most intense and immersive VR game I've ever played.

Back
Top Bottom