Alien Isolation - possible compatibility hack on the way

Associate
I'm going to give it another go once this latest release comes out. With weapons, do you just aim by looking and hitting the fire/melee button? I wonder if it would be possible for modders to make the hand/weapons 1:1 with the controllers.

Soldato
The first pass is just to make the touch controllers/vive wands act like a gamepad, so you don't need a gamepad to play. Later releases he hopes to have motion control aiming for weapons.

As this is reverse engineering the executable it won't ever be as good as a source port like Doom 3 Fully Possessed, but it'll be great if he can even get it half-way there with motion controls.

Associate
Tried this over the weekend, unfortunately couldn't play too long as the 3DOF makes me feel a bit ill and I had to come off. I'm sure it was just me but sometimes my walking speed was really slow. I'm wondering did I have Amanda's legs facing the wrong direction while I tried to walk another? I'm not sure how to tell.
VR controllers work nicely and is really easy to set up. It looks like Nibre will be trying to make it open sourced by the end of they year which will be awesome if other people jump on board and accelerate development of the mod.

edit - I'm an idiot, its 6DOF and I didn't play right.

Last edited:
Soldato
Noticed a few rendering issues with this. Body clipping and also some other weird effects, but on the whole it is an excellent release. The head aiming with the gun works pretty well. The touch controllers work great as a gamepad substitute. It's nice not to have to fiddle with getting an xbox controller out when playing the game. The in-game VR menu makes it easy to adjust settings.

Still the absolutely most scariest game I've ever played both in and out of VR. :eek:

Associate
3DOF? That doesn't sound right. I've not played it since a release or two back, but you should have 6DOF headtracking.
I think you're right and I'm very mistaken. I recall moving my head back from a computer screen that went right up to my face so that must mean that 6DOF will have been working right. I will have to try again.

Soldato
Finally got round to trying it, for some reason it wouldn't work with any SS applied, the Rift screen would go blank and then needed to close and reload Oculus Home.

When I eventually got it working I had some motion sickness, will give it another go later.

Associate
Had another go on this with the Rift and I'm now addicted, snap turning has well and truly fixed the motion sickness issues and I can play it for as long as I like. My only issue is Oculus Face, so I need to make sure I'm not going straight out after playing for an extended period of time with the red line that the rift leaves on my face.

Very tense game indeed and the feeling of immersion is amazing - definitely towards the top of the list for best games to play on VR.

Its nearly a year since the last update was released I'm hoping a new one is on the cards.

Back
Top Bottom