Alienware announces the AW2725DF and AW3225QF (worlds first 4k 240hz and worlds first 1440p 360hz QD-OLED monitors - launches January 2024)

Soldato
OP
Be jealous guys

Canadians and Americans who got their orders in first report that their monitors are getting delivered tomorrow

But having to wait can be a good thing as you learn new information. For example there is now reports that both of the new monitors have a cooling fan inside.. That's unfortunate because many of the new monitors announced at ces use passive cooling with graphene heatsinks but Alienware has stuck with the cheaper option of using fans

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Yeah I've got a LG 55e7 and AW34 in the same room, no doubt when it is a very bright environment or light directly shining on the screens, aw34 loses the blacks but then the lg oled you can see yourself and your room reflected, which is even more distracting and requires controlling the lighting/angling much more where as not so much of an issue on the aw34, which is better for me. Pick your poison really.

For both monitor types (I have woled and qdoled) if you play bright content like a action movie or a bright colorful video game, the black level of the qdoled is un-noticeable and you don't see reflections on the woled, so basically it doesn't matter.

But what about dark content? What if you watch a horror movie or horror game in a bright room? On the QD OLED you can still see the content, the blacks just look grey but you can still view the image. On the woled you can't see anything, the game and movie is completely unwatchable due to reflections

So in summary if you're watching bright content then it doesn't matter which screen people use. If it's dark content then qdoled can technically still work, though watching on darkroom is preferred but woled is completely unusable with dark content in a bright room

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Been quite a few users with faulty AW3225QF monitors, and some getting messages on the screen during use saying "system maintenance required due to abnormal thermal behaviour".

Yeah check Reddit, a few users who's monitors won't turn on, monitors with dead pixels, monitors that die after being used for a few minutes and even some reports of the hdmi port not working correctly

That overheating message is funny though, I've never heard of a monitor complaining to the user to stop using it because it's overheating

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
don't recommend toggling hdr while in game, it often screws up the colors all together, it's best to switch modes before playing the game

Another L for windows because consoles don't have this limitation, you can switch hdr on or off while in a game on a PlayStation 5 and it has zero side effects or issues

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Dell has announced its updated the packaging for its OLED monitors but it will take time to flow through to the for sale stock. Instead of just the bubble wrap that scratches the panel, the monitors now have a protective film over it to stop the scratches

Soldato
OP
This should be a std thing especially on a monitor like this but better late than never i suppose, luckily no scratches on mine just a few marks from the bubble wrap which wiped off with the provided cloth.

I got unlucky and both dell OLEDs I've had so far had them in the corners. I've tried to get a photo of it while the monitor is off but it was hard to capture, had to shine a bright torch onto the screen and get a semi macro shot

Unfortunately the photo makes it look quite bad but that's just because 90% of the spots in the photo is dust particles that are otherwise not really visible; I've circled in red the area with the scratches/marks and unfortunately I've tried three times to remove them and it won't budge :(

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
When the vrr gamma shift that manifests in flickering was first reported to LG, they confirmed it to be inherent to Oled. They all have the issue. However, different hardware setups will experience it in different games due to it being directly linked to erratic framerates and frame drops. Eg In game x, users with a 1440p OLED and say a 4090 may report that there is no flickering but the same setup on a 4k screen will.

There were all sorts of theories a few years ago and claims of how to fix it and what effects it and in the end it looks like there is no solution it will always be a problem for OLED

Soldato
OP
Yeh, but the issue isn’t frame rate fluctuations. The issue is flicker relayed to how OLED panels work with VRR.

There is one situation that perhaps could be grounds for a return and that's flicker caused by the refresh exceeding the VRR range. It's not that common but some OLED screens have an issues where when VRR is engaged the screen will actually exceed its refresh rate ceiling and when it does this it causes flickering

Here is an example, it's a 144hz Samsung OLED screen and the user has the framerate capped in the driver to 120.

Look what the refresh rate does with VRR turned on. On screens where this happens it creates flickering

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Is kinda worrying though that people even with 4090s have issues at 4k (240Hz) because they cant push the frames high enough and consistently enough and this then causes vrr flicker.

OLED likes a stable refresh rate. Either game with vsync on and VRR off or game with fps cap and refresh cap set to around The average or less than average framerate

Back
Top Bottom