All New Summer 2008 Transfer Merry Go Round/Rumour Mill

Soldato
Supposedly there are rumours Arsenal might just take advantage of Liverpool being unable to sell Alonso and bid straight for him, instead of Barry. Sounds like one of those lazy "2+2" thought processes by journos though, but I could see Rafa doing it if he gets desperate enough.

Imagine the passing ability in midfield if we had Alonso + Cesc. That's sexy, that is.

Permabanned
Ronaldinho just needs a kick up the bag side followed by an arm round the shoulder from a good manager. He needs to feel special. I think Scolari would have been perfect for this, but I hope he does well at Milan.

Soldato
from the BBC:

Newcastle boss Kevin Keegan has beaten Portsmouth, Sunderland and Benfica to the signature of Pablo Aimar and is set to complete a £7m deal for the Real Zaragoza forward. (Daily Mirror)

Wayne Bridge's new contract at Chelsea will be worth £16.6m over four years as manager Luiz Felipe Scolari has made keeping the left-back at Stamford Bridge one of his top priorities. (The Sun)

Stoke are poised to shatter their transfer record with the £4.5m signing of Reading striker Dave Kitson. (The Sun)

Striker Dimitar Berbatov faces an anxious wait over his future after Tottenham indicated that they do not intend to negotiate with Manchester United or any other club. (The Guardian)

England midfielder Frank Lampard is to ask Chelsea for a transfer to join former boss Jose Mourinho at Inter Milan after rejecting a £140,000-a-week four-year contract to stay at the Bridge. (Daily Mirror)

Chelsea are confident they can secure the signature of Robinho from Real Madrid for around £20m, laughing off claims they have made a £48m bid for the forward. (Daily Star)

Hull boss Phil Brown is ready to break the club's transfer record with a £5m bid for Manchester United striker Fraizer Campbell, whose goals during his loan spell last season played a part in securing their promotion to the Premier League. (Daily Mirror)

Kevin Keegan is in talks to sign versatile Holland midfielder Nigel De Jong in a £3m deal from Hamburg. (The Sun)

Newcastle are stepping up their recruitment drive a notch as the Magpies are set to swoop for Liverpool's 19-year-old Argentine left-back Emiliano Insua. (Various)

But Newcastle have suffered a set back in their transfer plans as West Ham defender Anton Ferdinand has pulled out of transfer negotiations with the club. (The Independent)

Midfielder Xabi Alonso's failed move to Juventus means Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez has abandoned plans to buy David Villa and David Silva from Valencia - and may have to give up hope of signing Tottenham striker Robbie Keane. (Daily Mirror)

However, depending on what you believe, the Merseysiders are willing to spend £20m to sign the 28-year-old Spurs striker. (The Sun)

Gareth Barry will plead with Aston Villa boss Martin O'Neill to stop jeopardising his dream move to Liverpool when he returns to training on Wednesday. (Daily Mirror)

Arsenal expect to be in a position to make an offer for Barry this week when they finally close the deal to sell their former captain Gilberto Silva to Greek side Panathinaikos. (The Independent)

Blackburn defender Andre Ooijer is a shock target for Panathinaikos, while Martin O'Neill wants to sign Rovers goalkeeper Brad Friedel by the end of this week. (Daily Mirror)

Rovers boss Paul Ince will assess striker Robbie Fowler at the club's German training camp before deciding whether to give his former Liverpool team-mate another shot in the Premier League. (Daily Star)

Chelsea defender Tal Ben Haim will make a decision in the next 48 hours on whether to accept an offer to move to Manchester City in a £5m deal. (Daily Mirror)

Chelsea's other fringe players have been challenged by Luiz Felipe Scolari to prove they are worth a place in the squad during their pre-season tour to China, Malaysia and Russia. (The Times)

Australia defender Lucas Neill moved a step closer to joining Manchester City after West Ham agreed a deal with Lazio right-back Valon Behrami. (Daily Mail)

Portsmouth manager Harry Redknapp is considering a surprise move for former Manchester United midfielder Quinton Fortune, who is available on a free transfer. (Daily Mail)

Rangers boss Walter Smith is lining up Cardiff's Glenn Loovens after pulling the plug on his bid for Watford's Danny Shittu. (Daily Record)

Czech midfielder Rudi Skacel looks set to complete his £1m move to Ipswich this week after being banned from full training by Southampton. (The Sun)

Midfielder Ferrie Bodde has snubbed Derby by signing a long-term deal to remain at Swansea. (The Sun)

Associate
I know the likelyhood is close to none, but I'd love spurs to go for Alonso, I think he could be just the player we need to sit behind the attacking midfielders breaking up play and spreading the ball around with his passing ability, much in the way Carrick did really..

Still, Ive got a good feeling about this year, I'm not expecting miracles, but hopefuly we can fulfil some fo the potential we have :)

Soldato
Isn't Aimar approaching 33-35 now? He would be a flop...too old and not physical enough for the Prem.

By approaching 33 you of course mean that he's 28.

I've got more faith in our scouting now than I've had in years. Mind, Keegan is going out on a limb signing a player over 23. Our new policy appears to be get em in young.

Apparently Chelsea are also after Tim Krul, our 3rd keeper. I'd be very disappointed if he went as he looks like he's got a fantastic future ahead of him.

Last edited:
Soldato
With some luck Benitez will stop his mad drive for Barry and just keep Alonso, we'll be saving money this way. Although I doubt Alonso will feel inspirational if he stays after Benitez was waving his transfer around.

I'll be happy if we just got a good winger (Not Milner or Bentley!!) to stop Kuyt looking like a headless chicken on the right again.

Last edited:
Soldato
I wouldnt be so sure, i can see Song being used as DM this season.

That's what I would be worried about, Diaby isn't really a DM and Song/Denilson are no where near ready to play a full season.

If Arsenal's spending ends here and all the players that are expected to leave do, I envisage another trophyless season :(

Soldato
With some luck Benitez will stop his mad drive for Barry and just keep Alonso, we'll be saving money this way. Although I doubt Alonso will feel inspirational if he stays after Benitez was waving his transfer around.

I'll be happy if we just got a good winger (Not Milner or Bentley!!) to stop Kuyt looking like a headless chicken on the right again.
Me too. Are center midfield is reasonably solid and doesn't really need Barry as we have similar players already, and Alonso brings some much need creativity when fit and on form. What the team really lacks is flair, especially out on the wings. Benitez please save the Barry money and spend it on the wings. I'd sooner see Pennant and Kuyt sold than Alonso.

Back
Top Bottom