All you non overclockers tell me why you don't overclock?

Caporegime
OP
Insanity said:
I dont overclock because im an idiot, and i've yet to find an "Overclocking for dummies" guide anywhere. Although, i have been tempted to just head in and up the FSB just to see what happens. :D

EDIT: I do overclock my video cards, spanky sliders just make life so much easier. :p

There are plenty of guides dotted around the web!

Man of Honour
One thing that sometimes gets on my nerves is when non-overclockers say stuff like "it's not worth it for the xxx performance gain - I wouldn't even notice it"

...and yet these same people are happy to pay an extra £100 or £200 for a processor that runs at 2.0 ghz rather than 1.8 ghz :confused:

Associate
Well, do i really need that extra few 100 mhz.. when i can run HL2 in 1920x1200 already.. not really

do i think its cost effective to buy a chip + a mach3 fusion turbo power quattro cooler (razorblade cliche references are intended here) over just buying a better chip... not really

do i want a case with 12 fans noisily humming away for the sake of tiny bit of extra power.. not really

do i want the extra heat in the case stressing all the other components. probably bringing an early death to my already hot enough hard disks.. not really

can i really be bothered tweaking.. then stability testing.. tweaking more.. more testing.. more tweaking... hell no

i just want a decent system.. that never crashes.. that i can barely hear.. running as efficiently as possible and minimal hassle. oh wait... thats what i have

Soldato
n3vrmind said:
Well, do i really need that extra few 100 mhz.. when i can run HL2 in 1920x1200 already.. not really

fair enough

do i think its cost effective to buy a chip + a mach3 fusion turbo power quattro cooler (razorblade cliche references are intended here) over just buying a better chip... not really

you normally find the craziest cooling systems are normally put with the top of the range chip to get way past what is commercially available, and normally only for benchmarking not for 24-7 usage so its not comparing apples with apples, I'd hardly call a £15 arctic cooling freezer a turbo nutter solution but it could easily net you a 30-40% clock on a conroe

do i want a case with 12 fans noisily humming away for the sake of tiny bit of extra power.. not really

mm.. I refer to my previous point.. 1 silent hsf isn't 12 fans going crazy, I've also seen lots of stock pcs with too many noisy fans

do i want the extra heat in the case stressing all the other components. probably bringing an early death to my already hot enough hard disks.. not really

thats airflow, not overclocking, you'd have a job on raising your case tempt with a hsf unless you had shocking airflow that was going to kill your hard drives anway

can i really be bothered tweaking.. then stability testing.. tweaking more.. more testing.. more tweaking... hell no

i just want a decent system.. that never crashes.. that i can barely hear.. running as efficiently as possible and minimal hassle. oh wait... thats what i have

thats not entirely true, you don't HAVE to stability test and with any half decent chip you can take a fair stab at what is a "safe" clock.. for example I didn't bother stability testing my x2 3800 at 2.5 because I knew it could do it easy, just like my e6700 was installed at 3ghz because I knew it would walk it.. 3.6+ THEN I'll start testing it because we're reaching outer limits, I'm the laziest person ever to hold a mouse and if I can manage it anyone can.. this talk of 48hrs prime stable is just huge huge overkill unless you fold, in which case.. leave it at stock because that can see errors that won't cause even the slightest stability issue in normal use, or folding for that matter

its all horses for courses though :)

Caporegime
OP
n3vrmind said:

LOL

I have a decent system.. that never crashes.. that i can barely hear.. running as efficiently as possible and minimal hassle. :)

so your point is?

Associate
easyrider said:
LOL

I have a decent system.. that never crashes.. that i can barely hear.. running as efficiently as possible and minimal hassle. :)

so your point is?

Dude, your vendetta against people who don't overclock doesn't seem to be getting anywhere. Might be time to bite the bullet and face the fact not everyones's a pr0 overclocker like yourself

Soldato
i didnt ussed to overclock because i didnt know how.. i came on this fantastic forums found the stick at the top of the page.. thats how it all got started. its so easy if you just follow the guide to the word!

so, in doing that i overclocked my old rig AMD 146 then X2 3800 and now im on my core2duo overclocked by a massive 50% performance increase for FREE.

and people who say a few MHz doesnt make much difference to speed, well they obviously not using their computers enough.

an a simple video re-code you can take minutes off your time, with a simple overclock.

sorry for my ranting but all-in-all if you dont overclock *read the sticky* and just do it!

as i read arround here somewhere;
you cant unwaste cpu cycles to start folding!, this is the same with overclocking, if the performance increase is there to use, go for it!!!

** side note **
there is NO WAY on earth i would have bought this conroe chip and ran it at stock, there is NO POINT buying chips with *overclockability* and running them at stock it is a massive waste of money!

**Conclusion**
All people not overclocking should visit the sticky at the top of the Overclocking & Cooling section and start!!!

Thanks for Listening lol ;)
StevenG

Associate
I have never OC before as i generally would buy top of the range components, which would normally far exceed my needs.

Now though with a nipper on the scene buying the top of the range is no longer an option so i'll be OC my next setup which is likely to be 6300 based system.

Caporegime
OP
OC_A64 said:
Dude, your vendetta against people who don't overclock doesn't seem to be getting anywhere. Might be time to bite the bullet and face the fact not everyones's a pr0 overclocker like yourself

You have taken my post in the wrong context.

There is no vendetta,

But there are people who do not overclock based on reasons that are just not accurate.

Statements like

"do i want a case with 12 fans noisily humming away for the sake of tiny bit of extra power "

Are just plain untrue and its old wife tails like this that need to be addressed.

The fact is you can have an heavily overclocked system that is quiet.

I have had many and on Air (WJA96) ;)

Soldato
In relation to the last few posts...

I have 2 x 120mm fans + a blower as case fans.
2 fans inside, one on GFX, one on CPU.
1 x PSU Fan.

My system is nice and quiet. Not noticable next to flatmates PC. ;)

Looking at my chip: X2 2800.
Now running at a PR of: X2 3800. (2666 MHz although the first core does 2.8!!!)
GFX Card O'Clocked a fair amount...

Quiet.
Stable.
Decent (more decent that a non OC'ed one)
The only blue screens were with me doing something to a bit of software I really shouldn't have been doing. :D (Fixed again!)

Total setup time - About a week.
Including stress testing.
(Stable to me = 2 days prime with ATi Tool running + a days 3D Mark)

--So I have not spent weeks and weeks configuring it or continually tweaking it.
--It isn't noisy.
--The HDD's are nice and cool as the case is designed well.
--No watercooling in sight.

Not saying "you must overclock" which some people seem to think this thread is about... I agree with easyrider - There are a lot of myths about overclocking that need debunked.

You still get those who have 12 fans blowing a gale to get that extra 10MHz... (Or Delta's!)
You still get those who watercool to get that bit lower temps etc.

But you also have sizable overclocks which take minimal effort, provide huge gains whilst still allowing the PC to be quiet and cooled properly.

Associate
The problem people are having this thread is that this issue is wholly and unavoidably based on subjectivity. When it comes to overclocking, what one may consider extreme and unnecessary another may consider about as extreme as a tea party with their 4 year old niece.

Everyone has limits that they’re prepared to go to in order to overclock. For some it still remains the area of the hardcore enthusiast. Others see it has a means by which they can extract free performance from their machines to benefit the games they play, or tasks they perform on their systems. For some however, and I would class myself in this category, overclocking is a hobby in its own right.

My cooling costs more than any of the hardware I’ve used it on. I don’t game (not any more anyway), encode, edit video, fold etc. etc. All the power I need from a computer I have in my laptop, yet I still choose to buy high-end hardware and cooling, spending God knows how long clocking, benching and tweaking simply for the fun of overclocking. Now, I’m sure all but an extremely small minority here would regard that as a waste of time and money.

The point I’m trying to make here is two fold. Firstly, despite my love for overclocking it doesn’t bother me in the slightest that people choose not to overclock. Secondly, people can call the things I do pointless, but it's not going to change my outlook on it - just as people who choose not to overclock, in many cases, simply just don't want to. I agree, that there are quite a number of fallacies that need to be broken down – noise, heat, damage to components etc. and I hope this thread is able to take care of that in some way. However, should we berate people for not overclocking? Of course not, personally I’ve got more important things to do – like benching. :p

Caporegime
OP
Captain Fizz said:
I agree with easyrider - There are a lot of myths about overclocking that need debunked.

But you also have sizable overclocks which take minimal effort, provide huge gains whilst still allowing the PC to be quiet and cooled properly.

Aye Aye Captain! :D

Soldato
Simon said:
Because there is much better things to do with my time nowadays :)
Doing EXACTLY the same thing... But to your car by the looks of it. :)
(Which would take longer but meh)

Same idea - Different application.
Mapping own chip after applying mods = Equivelent of Watercooling/Phase change for example.

All depends on where ones interest lies.

There will be a %'age of the public that may want to do some car modding, but don't know how to start - Therefore never get round to it.
I think the same applies to overclocking.

Permabanned
The reason I dont overclock the PC I built for my parents (just a 3000+ A64) is that it runs everything they want at stock speeds and they wouldn't even notice the difference if say I overclocked it by 500 MHz as its just an office / internet machine with no gaming involved.

I have other systems like Dual Pentium III's that are Compaq AP550s and a HP Kayak XM600 which can't physically be overclocked (no oc'ing options in BIOS).

Caporegime
My PC runs DC in my bedroom at uni 24/7 so I need it as quiet as possible. Which means minimum heat and the quietest fans and settings.

Tis a shame but not too bad as one of the cores is a rubbish clocker anyway. :(

Back
Top Bottom