Alloy wheel refurb - how much do/did you pay?

They do look rubbish though, the outer layer is pitted with brake dust. Even got called out by one of the old boys at an owners club meet for not cleaning my wheels :rolleyes: Reminded me why I don't go to owners club meets :p

I don't even use my brakes that much compared to average and I'd have to be out there all the time cleaning the brake dust off my wheels LOL to keep them clean.

My mx5 wheels are a little scuffed but there's a number of reports in the mx5 community that the use of heat in the power coating process makes OEM wheels brittle.

So I'm leaving em.
Yup, mine need doing as the previous owner scuffed the daylights out of them but have put it off after seeing the photos of them shearing from the centres - i think someone on here lost an NC alloy at Anglesey in the same way :eek:

First though was powder coat because that is the factory finish.
Are all MX5 alloys powder coated? I've seen a few posts around that suggest they, well NC alloys, were painted from factory :confused:

Powder coating is significantly more hard wearing than paint.

Paint depends a ton on the quality of the product and application as well - a proper 2K clear done with a gun will give a better and more durable finish than something out of a rattle can, etc. and as required a proper etch and build process will give much better results than what some of these places just slap on... as I've discovered with my own adventures with this lately :(

Around £50 in materials and a couple of days.

One of the great things of having your own compressor!

For various things (sanding and painting) I've found it frustrating not having a compressor, but I do it so rarely it isn't really worth buying and finding space for a decent one. But no substitute when a job really needs one.

Last edited:
Paint depends a ton on the quality of the product and application as well - a proper 2K clear done with a gun will give a better and more durable finish than something out of a rattle can, etc. and as required a proper etch and build process will give much better results than what some of these places just slap on... as I've discovered with my own adventures with this lately :(
I was going to post this about cheap wheel refurbishment. Surely (hopefully) you get what you pay for. I walked past some rather dull looking wheels the other day, they'd been done fairly recently but didn't look great.

I was going to post this about cheap wheel refurbishment. Surely (hopefully) you get what you pay for. I walked past some rather dull looking wheels the other day, they'd been done fairly recently but didn't look great.

More than likely a powder coat. Paint will give a lot better wet look. It is very difficult to find a decent paint sprayer for wheels these days whereas powder coating can be done by a monkey and is everywhere. Last time I got a set done I think I went through 5 different shops before i managed to find someone who paints them.

Last edited:
I was quoted £120 + VAT per wheel for 19" diamond cut alloys or £100 + VAT for one colour no diamond cutting

this is apparently acid dip and proper refurb rather than a quick sand down and spray

Last edited:
More than likely a powder coat. Paint will give a lot better wet look. It is very difficult to find a decent paint sprayer for wheels these days whereas powder coating can be done by a monkey and is everywhere. Last time I got a set done I think I went through 5 different shops before i managed to find someone who paints them.

Try finding someone who can work with fibreglass now :/

There seems to be a lack of skills all over.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom