Alloy wheels

Associate
I have just put my original alloy wheels back on my PT Cruiser
They leak at the rims (according to KwikFit)
I have been trying to find someone that can fix them (in or around Northolt)
There are plenty that do refurbishment, but not actually sandblast or rub them down (I have no idea how they would do any of this work)
I dont even know if I am using the right term on google
Alloy wheel repair, Alloy wheel refurbishment, alloy wheel skimming
Any idea what term to use
OR better still if you know of any firm or company

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I have done google searches for both, some of the websites and companys say they do both, I call em, they cant do what I want them to do, a repair
These dont need a refurb, they need a repair so they dont leak air

Caporegime
No, they do need a refurb. They need all surfaces (not just visible ones) refurbishing. Any decent place will sand blast (or some other kind of medium blast) and re-coat.

Anywhere that only provides a service to the visible faces is doing a cosmetic job only.

I’ve had all my Mk1 TT alloys properly refurbished, sand blasted then powder-coated.

To me a repair would be a crack that needs welding, or a buckle that needs straightening.

Associate
OP
Try telling that to the companys I have called, they dont do repairs, just a refurb, I thought they were one and the same
They take the tyre off, sandblast them, check all surfaces in and out, give a polish and tart up, check there are no leaks when the tyre goes back on, if the tyre leaks, give it going over with a grinder, bit of a polish, refit the tyre, put air into the tyre, job done
But it seems I got it all wrong,

Associate
OP
I'm no expert, I dont think its cracked, I think its just not sealing well against the tyre
They used to use a compound on the wheel to seal it, I dont know if they still use it

Soldato
There is no paint on them, I cant see paint being inside the wheel (Why would there be paint inside the wheel?)
It just does seal to the tyre

Why do you think powercoating it will fix anything which is what a cheap refurb means.

Clearly it needs metal work, either to make the wheel round again, fix a crack or add extra material to replace corrosion.

Associate
OP
I never even mentioned powercoating, I dont even know what powercoating is
I just want the tyre and wheel to make a seal, so it dont leak, the wheel is round, I dont se any cracks (if there was cracks, the air would come out a lot faster than it is, its a slow leak)
It goes down during a 24 hour period
Its not corroded either, just 10-15 years old

Soldato
I never even mentioned powercoating, I dont even know what powercoating is
I just want the tyre and wheel to make a seal, so it dont leak, the wheel is round, I dont se any cracks (if there was cracks, the air would come out a lot faster than it is, its a slow leak)
It goes down during a 24 hour period
Its not corroded either, just 10-15 years old

I can see why places don't want to deal with the hassle.

Wheels don't just leak air for no reason.

Associate
OP
There are lots of places doing refurbs and charging a lot of money for doing them
The link that was posted says it does repairs, I've email them, lets see what they say
Why does things go wrong over a BH ?

Soldato
Pretty much any garage that fit tyres will use bead seal.
If we get an alloy that's corroded and won't seal 100% we wire brush the bead face and use the sealer.

This stuff...

Associate
Pretty much any garage that fit tyres will use bead seal.
If we get an alloy that's corroded and won't seal 100% we wire brush the bead face and use the sealer.

This stuff...

Im going to guys the inside bead of the wheel has had the paint flake away and corrosion has built up, this will need to ben ground back using a wire wheel and then you apply the bead sealer around the rim, refit the tyre and should all be ok, no need for a full refurb.

We call it a rim seal, any decent tyre place should do this

Alex

Soldato
Local to me is a powder coater.

£140 for a set of 18"+ wheels.

That's.. sand blasted, dipped, corrosion layer and then powder layer.

Had a few sets done. Great work. Near Hinckley

Back
Top Bottom