Am I crazy? BMW 840.

Soldato
So we are looking at moving and to be honest it's been a difficult decision that we've come to. The BMW 840 that my better halves dad left us when he died is just really going to waste in the garage. Car hasn't been moved now for over 10 years and we really don't have the desire to do anything with it for the next few years possible ever. There's nothing significantly wrong that we know about. It was taken off the road working but I would imagine it will really need some TLC and a fair few bits now. We are going to see if we can sell it. As title is this something we should absolutely not sell or is it time to let someone who has the time and money to get this back on the road?

IMG-0322.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Such a lovely car and if possible don't let it rot, as above ping a couple of the well known YouTubers, they can probably help with getting it to go to somewhere/someone which would appreciate it and I'd expect you would also end up with better money than just trying to sell it 'as is'.

Soldato
Crazy how? What are the reasons you would hold on to it, in case it goes up a lot in value?

If you've never wanted to drive it, I would just sell it. It looks in pretty good condition. As others have said, Jonny Smith of the Late Brake Show does Barn Find Videos and could get it going if he's interested. You could then send the car to a classic car auction as they do have a bit of a following.

Soldato
OP
I dont need another project.

Its not working, where abouts upt north ?

Not so sunny Barnsley.

It would be interesting to see if on a youtube restoration. My wife has a friend who's interested so we are exploring that option too.

Soldato
I assume you don't have car loving kids that would eventually take it off your hands?

Not an easy decision to let it go, I feel your pain but it’d be a shame to let it go to waste. It looks immaculate for its age(from the outside at least).

Whatever happens, keep us updated :D Would love to see a progress video on this if it went the Youtube route!

Soldato
I think @geekman should buy it and use it in Mexico. :D

First thing I did when I saw this thread was run the plate to see if it was old enough to be imported but it comes back to a different car. I don't think I'd be able to sell it here as RHD German cars aren't that popular, people only like RHD on British cars such as Rolls, Land Rovers etc. That said, if it's 1994 or older and @MR_Punk wants to sell it for an insultingly low amount of money, I'll buy it for myself and post pictures of it in various strange and unusual places around Mexico :D

Soldato
OP
First thing I did when I saw this thread was run the plate to see if it was old enough to be imported but it comes back to a different car. I don't think I'd be able to sell it here as RHD German cars aren't that popular, people only like RHD on British cars such as Rolls, Land Rovers etc. That said, if it's 1994 or older and @MR_Punk wants to sell it for an insultingly low amount of money, I'll buy it for myself and post pictures of it in various strange and unusual places around Mexico :D

It's from 1996 so not old enough. I seems we should be able to get good money for it though so I dint think we will rush the sale. Shows how much I remember (not that I'm attached to the reg plate) but my better half did get rid of it a few years ago and the plate in the window is just for sentimental value.

Caporegime
Crazy how? What are the reasons you would hold on to it, in case it goes up a lot in value?

If you've never wanted to drive it, I would just sell it. It looks in pretty good condition. As others have said, Jonny Smith of the Late Brake Show does Barn Find Videos and could get it going if he's interested. You could then send the car to a classic car auction as they do have a bit of a following.

Not Matthewsons though. Unless its mega desirable like an old Ford or Mini Cooper, then I find the prices at Matthewsons very cheap. Its definitely more of a buyers auction than a seller's auction.

Looks in great nick and looks like it might just need fluids changing and battery charging. I reckon its worth around £12k. Sadly they arent in demand like a 3 series would be.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom