Am i right to be concerned?

Soldato
^^ No it isn't, what a strange thing to say! If he was depressed and he didn't get help, that would be more of a concern.

People are focussing too hard on the ad's, plenty of people take them and drinking isn't something that needs to be avoided while on most of them, it's excessive drinking (which tbh isn't a great idea anyway) that's the problem. Whether he's on ADs or not, the drinking seems to be more of a problem than them.

Last edited:
Associate
He sounds like me when i was a child, found this the otherday actually, sounds quite like the original post lol

10633_281088850095_741400095_9393324_3867353_n.jpg

I'm still quite the same - but can control it, alcohol doesn't help. i've never rocked backwards and forwards- that's a bit worrying. but the whole violence and uncontrollable mood swings is just waiting to happen if you're a bit tweaked and have a a drink

Caporegime
Apathy and fatigue are typical side effects of ssri's, it's no wonder he has no motivation. A psychiatrist would be able to pescribe more suitable medication.

Soldato
Taking an upper with a downer is not a good idea to say the least. From someone who spent 6 years taking Seroxat, and having my wife describe the personality swings when drinking (even a few pints), I would not reccommend drinking alcohol at all.

Dealing with his demons is more than enough to handle without having alcohol get in the way. I feel for him :(

Last edited:
Associate
"he is 32. He has never had a job, lives with his parents" enough said in my opinion.

This .. he needs to start taking responsiblity for himself in my opinion, its not up to anyone to take control of his life only he can do this. Even when I did live at home I lived my own life and did things for myself, I could never imagine and would infact be ashamed to still be living at home and being babysat by my parents at 32.

Soldato
Not really, people get put on those crappy things for anything, I would never take anti depress pills.

Dying Africans with aids manage fine without them.

That's fine for you, good job we're not all the same. Lots of people have been saved from suicide and all kinds iof misery by anti-depressants when properly prescribed. You obviously don't have a need for them, not everyone is so lucky.

Soldato
Not everyone can take control of their lives, especially when dealing with mental torture from within.

Some people need to be nurtured, even in their 30's. Age is no consideration when dealing with mental health. It has to be dealt with differently. Unfortunately, its not something that can be seen like a broken leg and so takes far longer for the person to understand and beat.

Soldato
SideWinder,

Your friend needs to get help. He is 32 and waking at all sorts of hours, and staying up for days on end, something is not right with that for a start. Some geeks do this in their late teens and early 20's.. but not at 32.

I am confused also, you say he is a house mate but he lives at home? How can he afford up keep of being a housemate?

Can only guess you are all at uni?

What is his background?

How long have you known him?

Soldato
he got very drunk, it mixes with his antidepressants and he goes all crazy.

Sounds like my dad when there's a lot of alcohol @ home :(. Well except for the acting erratic, my dad more the ''acting aggressive'' type when drunk.

I've seen it all, from throwing a mattress out of the window @ 3am, spitting, and a lot of shouting between him and my mum to him crying and packing all his stuff to leave the house...

I got used to it, as long as he doesn't lose his job and doesn't go drink driving or doesn't physically hurt anyone I don't worry about it any more...

even this sounds very similar to me :

He lacks motivation to get up and sometimes he wakes up at 9pm and stays awake for 24 hours, other times he doesn't emerge for a couple of days. It's just very erractic.
Stays in bed for ages sometimes, in the weekends he can stay in bed all day... His sleeping is erratic ( far more than mine) and when he has no reason to get up he just lies in bed all day long...

But, this is where the lines seperate:

He has never had a job, lives with his parents who do everything for him and can't seem to look after himself.
My old man does have a job, (and aside from a 2-3 year break, has been employed for the past 25 years), and a small company and he looks after himself and his family ( he's paying off 8 years of his mum's debt for not paying for some kind of residential service costs together with his sister to prevent his mum being kicked out from home). He is erratic with his spending of money but when needed he can always work his *** off and get some money...

Caporegime
Not really, people get put on those crappy things for anything, I would never take anti depress pills.

Dying Africans with aids manage fine without them.

I take it you've lived in Africa and know for certain that no one there has ever taken an anti-depressant. More seriously, its hard to be depressed when you're busy, striving hard just to survive is a busy life that leaves little free time. It's the very luxury in a western culture that means you don't have to strive as hard, have lots of free time to ponder life, notice the void in your life, can become unhappy and depressed.

When you have no reason to be happy and you're not, like when you're starving to death, well thats normal. Its when you have no reason NOT to be happy, and you're not happy, that something is wrong.

Africa is also still a heavily heavily religious culture. We've gone through centuries of fighting on through the hard times because we've been promised a better life. Depression seems to be far more widespread as the fallacy of religion becomes less well followed and a lot of people realise theres not a huge amount of point to life. Thats not something you really ponder when you do believe in god and you have work to do from waking up till going to sleep.

You can drink when on most antidepressents anyways, they are incompatible.

Antidepressants and alcohol might not interact with each other, that in no way makes them all completely safe. Both have significant effects on your brain chemistry, its rather stupid to blindly think taking one drug to drastically change your brain chemistry in one direction then taking another to swing it the other way is a safe thing for your brain.... it's not.

The guy need's help, get him to talk about it when sober, tell him he has to stop drinking. Ask him to think about if his life is really improved when he drinks, can he remember anything or is he getting black out drunk. Is he just happier to be black out drunk than just being unhappy, thats a pretty big reason for a lot of depressed people to drink. Better to feel nothing, than depressed. however get him to see that he might feel better when drunk, but he's actively hurting his friends and his relationships with people. He might not feel so bad when drunk, but he's going to feel worse when sober till it gets to the point no one will talk to him when sober.

Hopefully he'll see sense and realise drinking doesn't help him and also doesn't give his brain a chance to "normalise" which is what anti-depressants try to do. Assuming he's not feeling any better on them, and has erratic sleeping and by the sounds of it no improvement on the pills he needs to speak to his doctor about it, maybe get a different pill that could turn his life around, or combine a certain anti-depressant with some therapy. IN the end he need's help, and he need's friends to help him with that.

Back
Top Bottom