Am I screwed? (Red light camera).

Permabanned
Hi guys,

Today, in the process of manouvering around a parking car, I drove (slowly) through a red light, didn't notice it had gone red until it was too late. It was at a pedestrian crossing.

The traffic lights looked like this:
istockphoto_1480286_traffic_light.jpg

They had that little camera type thing on top. Is this a red light camera? If not, what do they look like?

It was just off the parade in Leamington Spa.

Cheers! Just made me a bit worried.

Caporegime
It's not a red light camera, I believe the ones on top are to monitor the traffic and it uses that information to decide when to turn red.

Red light camera's are behind you as you go over the traffic lights, so they can easily see that you've crossed the line and work out how fast you were going too.

Permabanned
OP
That makes me feel better! Cheers.

Only occured to me after it happened that I had no idea what a red camera light looked like :confused:

Thanks!

Incidentally, what is the penalty for running a red light?

Soldato
3 points.

There are two I can think of in Leamington Spa, they're big grey gatso type cameras. There's one on the crossroads near the railway station, the other I know of is on a crossroads as you come into Leamington from the Coventry direction. Have a look next time you're there.

Ed

Ed

Soldato
Today, in the process of manouvering around a parking car, I drove (slowly) through a red light, didn't notice it had gone red until it was too late. It was at a pedestrian crossing.
I don't think I've ever seen a camera at a pedestrian crossing, only intersections where traffic flow is being directed so you should be OK. Still dangerous what you done though. Stay awake next time.

Soldato
That makes me feel better! Cheers.

Only occured to me after it happened that I had no idea what a red camera light looked like :confused:

Thanks!

Incidentally, what is the penalty for running a red light?

That made you feel better?
How about the fact you failed to notice that the light at a pedestrian crossing had turned red and that you just continued through it when anyone could have been crossing?
How does that make you feel?

Seems you are far more worried about a just fine and points than you are about the fact you could have killed someone today.

Soldato
How about the fact you failed to notice that the light at a pedestrian crossing had turned red and that you just continued through it when anyone could have been crossing?

Seems you are far more worried about a just fine and points than you are about the fact you could have killed someone today.
If someone had been crossing then he would have noticed, don't be so pretentious :rolleyes:.

Soldato

I consider it highly unlikely that someone would have died as Cobra moved slowly through the light. Get some perspective!

Soldato

He wasn't looking at the light which means he was probably looking at the road, and he was driving slowly. I really doubt (if he's being honest) he would've stood the slightest chance of hitting someone.

Go go morality brigade!

Soldato
Red light cameras aren't mounted on the traffic light. Theyre a few metres before it, pointing towards the junction.

I've never seen a red light camera at a pedestrian crossing either, always at junctions.

Soldato
Red light cameras aren't mounted on the traffic light. Theyre a few metres before it, pointing towards the junction.

I've never seen a red light camera at a pedestrian crossing either, always at junctions.

There is one about 100 meters from my house at a pedestrian crossing.

Permabanned
OP
Woah woah woah! It's all kicked off in here.

The light was green, but a car was parking pretty much right against the crossing. It's a narrow street, and so cars from both ways were manouvering round him. The light changed as I was squeezing through, I had checked for pedestrains, but failed to notice the light had changed. I was doing 15mph, tops.

EDIT: That explanation is for Stoofa's benefit.

Soldato
I find it highly difficult to understand how anyone can miss a red light.
I find it highly difficult how people on a daily basis miss the signs, the road markings and the big yellow box that all say "You're about to get flashed for speeding" however they do and on a daily basis.
So why shouldn't they hit a pedestrian if they have managed to miss everything else.

Ah - but of course...this is the OcUK motors forum.
Where everyone is too good a driver to worry about speed limits.
Where nobody should have to worry about parking restrictions.
Where red lights are there purely for your annoyance.
Where everyone writes "child killer" in posts regarding speed because it's funny and ironic and....like writing M$ in a computers forum.

No I'm not taking a moral high ground with my clean license of 14 years - it just amazes me the people in this forum...yes still, even after all these years of reading it.
That the first reaction of driving through a red light isn't "How did I do that, I really should no better, what if..." but rather "What's the fine for it then lads?"

Back
Top Bottom