Amateurs

Soldato
My -god- never let untrained sorts near PC's.

Just took the side off a poncuter thats 'acting strangely' and full of spyware, an 80mm fan (3 pin) was conneted to a 3 pin adaptor straight into the mainboard.......ok this is fine, but obviously just plug the fan straight into the board, but because of the adaptor it was also plugged in direct to the PSU; AS WELL AS the 4 pin port powah port on a SATA hard drive, that also had a SATA powah cable plugged into the other side of the harddisk :eek:

Tis the biggest crosswire, fire inducing mess I've ever seen inside a pc, ever since taking the interesting wire config to bits and doing it properly oddly enough its working fine, no sudden drop outs, and crashes. The poor PSU and mainboard were probably working overtime trying to correct powah spikes

So shocking I had to share :D

Better more cables then none at all like that guy who kept asking why his hard drive wasn't detected by windows when it was just connected to the psu :p
(well perhaps equally as bad ;))

saying that, what happens when a HD is plugged into both molex as well as sata power? does it just auto turn off? or what, interesting question abit like... what is fire?! :)

Well... at least they didn't plug a 240v adapter for an external HDD into the S-Video port on a 6800 :rolleyes: Oh well their loss, they had to go back to using a 9600.

Theguy said:
saying that, what happens when a HD is plugged into both molex as well as sata power? does it just auto turn off? or what, interesting question abit like... what is fire?! :)

People have done it before and it has worked but that is more luck and testament to the fact that computer parts are surprisingly resilient rather than anything else. In most cases you will probably end up completely shafting the hard drive due to running 2 power sources through it but it can work. :)

a right ta. i was expecting a, it will smoke answer. heh, like what u get when u plug the molex in the wrong way round in a floppy drive.. :D aa fun times my youth.

Funny you say that about the fan though.

Some Intel fans for theyre servers have a type of 'splitter' cable that goes into the motherboard, then to the power i think.

Pointless granted.

Back
Top Bottom