Amazing mpg

Associate
I decided to do an experiment on my trip to edinburgh, from birmingham. It is a 300 mile one way trip, with the petrol prices being so high, i decided to try and drive a little slower to see how much I can save.

The trip meter clocked me at 70mpg.... on a 1.4 petrol honda jazz...

Normally i drive around 70mph and get around 55mpg and i thought it was already quite good, but 70mpg!? All i did was drive at 60mph. Just 10mph slower than usual. To confirm this, i checked out how much i needed to top up to full (i topped up prior to starting), and the 300mile trip only cost me £19.88 at 86p/liter.

So, that's it. 70 miles to a gallon, by driving a little slower. I love my jazz a little more now..... just thought i'd share....

Soldato
penski said:
I've said this for ages - tuck behind a wagon at 55-60 and reap the benefits.

*n
Do 120 and get home in half the time, if you value your time more than the petrol cost saving.... and your license less ;)

Soldato
Yes you may have achieved really good mpg, but you added another 45 minutes to your journey. Me, I'd rather spend that little bit more on fuel and get to my destination that much sooner :)

Associate
well done, ive been looking at a smaller run about for a while, but cars being my hobby its not too expensive to force me to do it yet.

The best car i had was a 2 litre astra GTe. managing about 30 MPG. My daily runabout, a 4.6 V8 range rover does 15MPG if im lucky, maybe 18 MPG on long runs which is only now and then. Thats £4.50 to get to work and back per day.

The other toy car i own will do 30+, but being a kit car powered with a motorbike engine its normally hitting 15 or less.

Good news its cheap for petrol at this moment in time.

Suspended
OllyM said:
Petrol prices aren't really as bad at the moment, and quite frankly, it'd bore me to tears sitting at 60.
I got 32L in the Elise today, for £26!

:(

Didn't know the tank could hold that much, according to the fuel gauge I had 13L in there before I started... It's a 38L tank :confused:

Man of Honour
You don't need to drive at 50 to return respectable economy. Just sticking to the legal limit will do it - I get over 40 from a 2.0 16v petrol engine and over 35 from a 3.0 24v petrol engine doing just this. It isn't tedious, it isnt boring, but it does make a difference on long trips :)

Soldato
penski said:
I've said this for ages - tuck behind a wagon at 55-60 and reap the benefits of:

a) driving under it's back axle when it's involved in a pile up
b) having the following truck 2mm from you bumper.

*n

:p

It does work though. In my younger and more stupid days I used to do that on my Suzuki X5 and you can really feel yourself getting sucked toward them as you approach.

Suspended
Dogbreath said:
:p

It does work though. In my younger and more stupid days I used to do that on my Suzuki X5 and you can really feel yourself getting sucked toward them as you approach.
Yep, I used to slipstream the slower lorries on my bike during time trials...

OMG CHEAT

Man of Honour
Nozzer said:
You want a K-Series, my consumption never seems to drop below the mid 30s :p

2.0 16v in my Megane - averaging 26mpg at the moment. :eek:

So going to a larger or hugely less efficient engine won't make any difference to me at the moment. :D

However 79.9p unleaded rocks!

Simon/~Flibster

Soldato
Nozzer said:
You want a K-Series, my consumption never seems to drop below the mid 30s :p

I'm actually finding the Yota engine amazing for economy compared to what I'm used to. I imagine the K series would probably double what I'm getting but I'm more than happy with my economy at the moment :)

Soldato
Nozzer said:
I got 32L in the Elise today, for £26!

:(

Didn't know the tank could hold that much, according to the fuel gauge I had 13L in there before I started... It's a 38L tank :confused:

13L + 32L - 7L reserve = 38L, maybe? I know mine has a ~7.5L reserve but I dunno if its included in the total tank size, totally different car I know..

Just a suggestion:p

Back
Top Bottom