Amazon Echo - anyone have one?

TS7

TS7

Soldato
Is the only real difference between the Echo and Dot a bigger speaker?

If so I'm thinking of getting a dot and a sonos - we'd that work?

Caporegime
Waiting for the black version to come into stock. What's the word with privacy and the Dot/Echo? It only records after saying the wake word?

Soldato
Waiting for the black version to come into stock. What's the word with privacy and the Dot/Echo? It only records after saying the wake word?

Pretty much. Just be aware if you say something like the wake word it will record anything after that as well.

You'll be aware of the fact since it will usually chime in mid TV show or conversation "I'm sorry, I'm not sure I can help you with that" and then you can go listen to/delete the recording if you're so inclined.

Associate
I have an Echo Dot, it's a cracking little device. I didn't see the point in buying a proper Echo as it was getting connected to a proper soundbar, so build in sound quality was never going to be a concern.

Associate
I had an Echo for a couple of months and I've just sold it for a £15 loss. I just got so bored with it. It does nothing more than my Android phone can do, plus my Android phone understands me unlike the Echo... Could never get it play Sun FM radio station or get it to play A Far Out Disc By The Toy Dolls. Plus the Hive control was so basic it was pointless using it. Heating on or off. No control of the temperature or a timer for it. Nah, wasn't impressed...

Associate
All reviews will tell you they're both good, and can't be separated. So it'll just come down to personal choice in the end. I went with Hive as the deal was better when I bought it.

Caporegime
Stupid question. Only see this in practice with a high end soundbar. Has anyone linked it to a Bose Soundlink? Assume I can leave docked and on but think it sleeps, can Alexa wake it up?

Soldato
Wish the Echo could equalise its volume levels a bit more intelligently.

ie: Sometimes it will speak at one volume and then say the news feed will be much quieter, then a radio station louder, and then a particular say classical music piece from Amazon Music really quite...

If only it could auto adjust it's volume levels to some degree using some clever tech.

Back
Top Bottom