Amazon made a mistake (was: Screwed by amazon!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
You are aware that from where anyone else on this forum is sitting, you're just a random bloke on the internet who gets angry about other peoples' finances, none of whom care about your opinion, right?

I haven't become angry, I just don't understand the mentality of living outside your means. If you don't care about my opinion, feel free to read it and ignore it or put me on ignore. I'll keep sharing my opinion unless the mods believe it's stepping outside of the rules, but thanks for your concern.

Soldato
To be blunt, he wasn't asking for advice on whether he can afford a phone. If anything he should have put less detail in the OP so he didn't attract the attention of the vultures.

If he'd said "I've had a retailer make a mistake and take money they weren't owed, it's left me short for a couple of imminent direct debits, will the bank be able to do anything to sort this out for me?" he might have actually had an answer to his question before post 15 and avoided all the 'lol you can't afford your phone m8' posts

See I think the so called "vultures" were only brought to the thread's attention by the overdramatic title about Amazon screwing @OP over. Which is why they partly lay the blame also on the @OP

You're right if the title wasn't a headline grabber most people would have said just phone your bank and explain the situation, that's all you can do. In fact if you can't make payments due to something not being your fault and you get charged interest/fees for going overdrawn you would get it refunded after you phone them all up and explain the situation (bank for overdraft fees, credit card companies for below minimum payment or interest on remaining balance). It's just way more hassle though and some posters were just saying that if you cover it with your savings temporarily it'll be less hassle in the long run.

Amazon's at fault but mistakes happen and being prepared is better than going about assuming it'll always be OK.

Why not just be financially irresponsible then when the rainy day comes you can use the credit cards that you recommend. No point in having cash sat in the bank doing nothing ;).

To be honest the whole thread is daft really. The op just needs to phone his bank and explain the situation without subjecting himself to this level of scrutiny.

Well not all your cash, but some reserves I'd say. I would be worried if I didn't have at least 6 months of necessary outgoings available personally :)

You'd also still be screwed just relying on credit cards as at best that would give you 56 days (depending on how well you can time your purchases) of extra time before you have to pay, and some things can't be bought via credit card so having cash is still beneficial.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom