Amazon prime music - FLAC @upto 24/96

Soldato
How are you all getting amazon HD music to your stereos? Alexa doesn’t have digital outputs and I don’t imagine the pre amp on the Echo is really doing HD streaming any justice. Is Bluetooth viable? For serious listening (when I get the chance) I’m on Spotify from Apple TV via toslink to my DAC. Is the only other way HDMI? Do I need to get with the times?

I'm streaming on a PC with an M-Audio 2496 sound card straight into my NAD C352. Maybe it's me who needs to get with the times.

Maybe I'm missing something but I can't say I notice a huge difference between Spotify and Amazon Music. This is with back to back listening. Maybe Amazon has a slightly warmer/fuller midrange. Not a huge difference top end.

My combo (NAD/B&W 603) lends itself to being warm rather than bright so perhaps that's why I'm not noticing as big a difference as I expected.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
OP
I’m streaming whilst on a train using my old iPhone right now, and very nice it is too.

At home, I’m currently using a laptop via hdmi into my processor.

Soldato
Im going to stick with it at least for the 90 days. My Deezer is due soon so will leave that to lapse for now.

Because I have prime it's a decent saving.
I miss Flow from Deezer though is there anything like that on Amazon that learns what you like and don't like and plays similar. I can't see anywhere to dislike a song for instance.

Soldato
I'm interested in trying this on my Marantz amp at home. Currently have Google Play Music (£7.99p/m for life bro!) with Google Homes and Chromecast so I'd be wary of changing. But I understand Amazon Music doesn't support the Chromecast so how would I even get the music into my amp? :confused:

Associate
I'm hoping that Amazon will announce a 192/24 compatible echo link in today's announcement (the current device only goes up to 96/24 - I know it's unlikely to make much difference, but you might as well have a device that supports the top rate). That'll get music into your amp or DAC.

Soldato
Can't fathom why I should spend £189 though. It seems daft they're trying to flog a 'hifi' music streaming platform with no support to get it into your average consumer's amplifier? :confused:

What is your average punter going to do at home? I don't geddit..

Soldato
Be ideal if they did an echo that could support the higher rate, though I would need to check my Denon amp to see if it's worth it.

Permabanned
Ultra HD Audio = 24bit/192k

Amazon-Ultra-HD.jpg

smvRK8y

Soldato
Hey thanks. Was hoping they would have a section where everything is 192K, kind of like Tidal does.

LOL, why do they have 5 versions of the same album? One is at 44.1, one at 96 and the last one at 192.

Permabanned
On the day this thread was posted I took the trial (I am already a Prime customer but not Music Unlimited) I was showing as 24/96 in all 3 sections of my above first photo (96/96/96) then a few days later it became 192 for the Track Quality on the exact same album so I was now (192/96/96)

I have a ZxR so its 96 on Analog and Optical unless I set to Direct Stereo Mode on Analog then its 192 like in my second Photo above (192/192/192)

On my Mobile that does support 24/192 it was and still is 96 for Track Quality on the exact same album but as I have no working wired headphone I get 44.1 on AptX earphones (96/96/44.1) and 96hz on AptX HD earphones (96/96/96), I would need LDAC or wired earphones to test 192 if/when the App adds it (assuming this is why its not showing Track Quality as 192).

Last edited:
Caporegime
Streaming is so much better than just buying CDs!

Every time I hear that some artist is great, I can listen to it for no additional cost and, if I find they're crap (like Jess Glynne, for example) I've not lost anything, but it they're great (Slowthai, Superorganism) I can listen over and over again.

I've got 200-300 DVDs that never get used but take up loads of space and are basically worthless. I'd really rather lose my money on monthly subscriptions than have that millstone grow any larger!

Lolwut?

You can listen to any artist for free on at least 40 different platforms.

YouTube is free.

Then if you like you can buy the CD.

Back
Top Bottom