Amazon prime music - FLAC @upto 24/96

Permabanned
I mostly use mine via the car speakers, or my Shure E535.

Anyone know why the Amazon Music app says my phone supports 48khz max when my phone actually supports 192khz.

As I said above I assume its the App that will update just like the Windows App now is higher bitrate than a few days ago for me but not sure why you cannot do 96 for now if like me your on Android, not sure if your on crApple.

Soldato
I can't find anything at 192khz highest I can find is 24 bit 96khz.

I'm slowly coming round to Amazon Vs Deezer.
It's cheaper especially with my Prime subscription.
It has all my music already recreated all my playlists.
Alexa in the car is great can just ask for what I want.

Question my amp Denon AVR2311 how do I get full UHD audio into it from Amazon.

Edit: looks like the Echo link might work.

Last edited:
Soldato
I guess the Elinks got an optical output ? after it was mentioned earlier, the first hit from google was the whathifi review,
and (1st for me) they slaughtered its analogue output .. I'd probably trust them when they say something is bad.

chromecast audio, I have, will do 24/96 optical out, I thought, however for tidal HIFI for DRM reasons they do not allow you to bitstream that to it, maybe amazon do.

Will the Amazon music ecosystyem give you a history of what you browsed/listened too ? that's my complaint of Tidal, plus the music search is not vey powerful,
if you provide, say, the surname of an artist.
Soundiz works well to transfer playlists.

Permabanned
I now see 192 on my mobile but again I cannot support this on AptX-HD earphones so 48 MAX for me.

Not sure if anyone is not aware but optical can do 24/192 (the new SoundBlaster AE-9 supports it) and so does some £12 items on Amazon.

I have the older version of bellow so its 96khz and no Vol Control, there is even one with the addition of BT 5.0

"PROZOR 192kHz DAC Converter with Volume Control 192kHz Digital to Analog Audio Converter Digital Coaxial Toslink to Analog Stereo L/R RCA 3.5mm Audio Adapter"

Ste

Ste

Soldato
Is anyone aware of a setup for this that allows me to have a network device receiving the music and sending it to the DAC, but control via a decent phone based app?

Like the sonos experience essentially...

A PC or Pi etc. would be fine or a budget streaming device as long as it'll do 24/96 as a minimum

Soldato
I have Amazon Music Unlimited HD. It's very good, can't fault it.

Only one issue I can't tell any difference when I switch between standard quality and HD quality, and I have good equipment, anyone read my posts in past i'm comparing differences in cards and DAC's, however this case can't tell between standard quality and HD.

Permabanned
I think its hit and miss as sometimes it says 1 thing then another so would take it with pinch of salt if it is Ultra HD as some claim that but are 44.1khz.

Download a real Hi-Res sample online and hear the difference but at the end of they day there is a limit and not everyone has good hearing.

http://www.2l.no/hires/

Last edited:
Soldato
can't tell between standard quality and HD.

I don't know whether all the Tidal 96/24 material is legitimate and not just up sampled.
Hotel California 96/24 was distinctively better, but many are no better than their flac 44.1/16 counterparts.

I guess you have checked out the music 'pipeline' and your dac is switching to 96/24, I sometimes have to manually switch with tidal on a windows desktop/usb dac.

Soldato
I think its hit and miss as sometimes it says 1 thing then another so would take it with pinch of salt if it is Ultra HD as some claim that but are 44.1khz.

Download a real Hi-Res sample online and hear the difference but at the end of they day there is a limit and not everyone has good hearing.

http://www.2l.no/hires/

Indeed.

There’s so many variables to consider too. It comes down to equipment, recording, filters and master before you consider playback. 24bit depth is kinda debatable when you consider recordings with a large dynamic range, classical/orchestral for example, but anything above 44.1KHz is largely a load of tosh. In fact, very high rates can/will result in distortion.

Marketing loves numbers though.

Permabanned
Almost perfect, all its missing is LDAC.

51q64-SXte4-L-AC-SL1200.jpg

61ke-EWRY9-YL-AC-SL1200.jpg

https://avantree.com/dg60-bluetooth-usb-audio-transmitter

Man of Honour
Indeed.

There’s so many variables to consider too. It comes down to equipment, recording, filters and master before you consider playback. 24bit depth is kinda debatable when you consider recordings with a large dynamic range, classical/orchestral for example, but anything above 44.1KHz is largely a load of tosh. In fact, very high rates can/will result in distortion.

Marketing loves numbers though.

A lot of music is still made with 44.1KHz/16bit samples anyhow no matter what it is exported as - live recordings with real instruments, assuming a high quality recording system, is one area that can benefit.

Permabanned
If you are using Bluetooth and not using Sony's LDAC it will be 48khz max for all other codecs for example SBC 16/44.1 / aptX 16/44.1 / aptX-HD 24/48 / LDAC 24/96 (will show as 32/96 a lot of the times).

(SBC and aptX can apparently also do 48khz if not crippled)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AptX

For me to get 192khz I need to plug headphones in to my PC or use the speakers in Stereo Direct Mode on a SoundBlaster ZxR and on my Android phone I cannot get 192khz wired as the USB jack somehow does not give that and there is no 3.5mm jack.

Last edited:
Soldato
I get it so it could be because I'm using the phones speakers or Bluetooth.
If i plug some headphones in it should change.

Anyone considering the Echo Studio when it's released.
I can't find a way of getting high Res audio into my amp at the minute. No pc to use. The echo links don't some to do it properly either.

Last edited:
Permabanned
I get it so it could be because I'm using the phones speakers or Bluetooth.
If i plug some headphones in it should change.

Anyone considering the Echo Studio when it's released.
I can't find a way of getting high Res audio into my amp at the minute. No pc to use. The echo links don't some to do it properly either.

You will not get Hi-Res from the phones speaker, I use PowerAmp and I can see in its Settings > Output which each device does and the phones speaker(s) defaults to the basic sound output and cannot be changed.

Install PowerAmp non Pro and grab those files I linked to and put then on your phone (I will put up a screenie in a bit).

Associate
Would love for you all to do some A/B/X testing. I 100% fall into the camp of "this sounds amazing at 192khz" and yeah some song do seem to sound better, but its likely if you converted that back to 44.1 16bit and done an A/B/X with matched levels most would be hard pushed to tell.

Do some A/B/X testing with a foobar2000 plugin and post your results haha! I have Focal Clear headphones and a decent balanced DAC/AMP and a separate balanced AMP. Most of it is in our heads, when you don't know whats playing by looking at the track info its a different story.

Back
Top Bottom