Amazon Prime !!!!

Caporegime
That map has to be a mistake surely! The amount of places in the UK that refuse to take Amex makes it insane to think its the most popular card here..
there's now way VISA isn't the most widely used card in the UK surely
This seems to say in 2018,58% of credit cards were Mastercard in the UK and 36% were VISA:
https://www.ukfinance.org.uk/system/files/UK-Card-Payments-2018-Summary.pdf
VISA dominates in debit cards according to a quick google

Soldato
It's fantastic, isn't it. It's never failed me, every single thing I've ever ordered using it has turned up when promised, even during the height of lockdown 1. In fact, during lockdown 1 when they said things may take three or four days, they generally arrived the next day anyway.

It's worth every single penny I pay for it.

Generally speaking, the prices for computer parts seem to suck on Amazon. I very rarely buy main computer components from them.

For a while we were getting something pretty much every day at one point. Thankfully we have curbed that now.

Caporegime
Generally speaking, the prices for computer parts seem to suck on Amazon. I very rarely buy main computer components from them.

For a while we were getting something pretty much every day at one point. Thankfully we have curbed that now.
yea computer component prices are crazy on amazon, the stuff that is directly sold by them anyway.

OCUK sell some stuff on there :D

Man of Honour
Just had an email stating the price of Prime is going up to £95 from 15 Sep. A £16 increase!

My renewal is the 2nd September so I’ll get another year at the current price then after that, I’ll probably cancel. I only really use it for free postage.

I hope they’re not bumping prices up just so they can buy more Premier League football. I have zero interest in that.

Same - annoyingly my renewal is just after. It seems odd timing on the part of Amazon when many people will be looking to cut costs - pushing the price of Prime up is likely just going to cost them a lot more by reminding people of how much (and now how much extra) they are spending on it. (Maybe they are banking on some of the new TV shows, etc. swaying it).

Associate
Presumably the authorised UK distributor has to add 20% VAT for a start. Is there no import VAT on the item in question?

I've never once had to pay fees for items coming from the US or HK, although I've only done it a handful of times. They get through without, so either they're not getting spotted or the firms are on purpose marking them with codes that suggest item is worth less than they actually are.
Only time I had time pay tax was +£1k item from EU in Dec 2021 although I sort of expected that with the B word.

To makes matters worse the UK distributor said delivery was 1 to 2 weeks, so they've just ordering it from US. Think I'll skip the middle-man thanks.

I'll add FedEx to this list although I'm not nearly as angry. Lens coming from HK (crowd funded so had no choice in this matter). Get txt saying item is on way but click link to rearrange date from estimated delivery. I select specific date one week pushed on because we're on holiday...nope they ignored it and simply attempted delivery anyway. If the sender didn't support the option then don't offer it to the recipient.

Soldato
Why do amazon ask for age verification when they deliver alcohol, can understand if a 12yo answers the door.

I find it so pointless, especially when its obvious an adult is answering the door. You don't get asked in a supermarket, when you look old enough and no other courier I know of asks either.

Soldato
No what I mean is I never personally get asked in a supermarket, I know they ask sometimes, where as Amazon ask all the time, even if you were 90 years old, but as you say its for liability reasons.
Doesn't their phone ask for your date of birth or just the year so they need that to mark it as delivered.

Caporegime
I have no problem with the price increase. I use the free delivery at least 3 times a week, I watch series and films, I also use it for kindle books, plus for me, the cherry on top of the cake is I also get a bit of premier league footie on top. Just great value for me.

Back
Top Bottom