Amazon Refund Issue

Associate
I placed an order with Amazon last month for which the item was faulty. I returned the item and requested to exchange with the same. The second item was also faulty so I returned and requested a refund.

Throughout the refund stages it said it would refund using the original method of payment.

As soon as I completed the refund request I got an email saying:

"Dear Customer,

Greetings from Amazon.co.uk.

We are writing to confirm that we are processing your refund in the amount of £XXX.XX for your Order XXX-XXXXXX-XXXXXXXX.

This amount has been credited to your payment method and will appear when your bank has processed it.
"

Same email further down:

"Your refund is being credited as follows:

Gift Card: £XXX.XX
"

As at the time I read the email through my phone, I only read the top paragraphs and thought great.

Queue yesterday, when I ordered a phone case for the missus via her phone browser, but through my account. I went through the process and once I paid I noticed that the amount I was charged was £0.00.

I came upstairs to the PC and then I noticed I had a gift card for the same amount in my account.

I immediately contacted support via chat, who could not comprehend that I wanted the refund in my bank account, but got a gift card instead. After 20 minutes of back and forth I left the chat.

Today I called them up, and they said because I had used the gift card (part of it) there was nothing they could do. I escalated to a supervisor who said the same. I mentioned the Consumers Contracts Regulations Part 3, Regulation 34, (7) "The trader must make the reimbursement using the same means of payment as the consumer used for the initial transaction, unless the consumer has expressly agreed otherwise."

He said their policy didn't allow them to do that and just kept apologising.

What can I do here?

P.S. Also, last night I created a refund for a different item, to go through the process again, in case I selected gift card by mistake. The process did not present to me an option for the refund and just stated "method of payment". I received the exact same email template 5 minutes later, so it seems their system is somehow sending gift cards, even though I did not agree to it.

Any advice appreciated.

Don
I had one I paid by gift card
. Went missing in post so they said order another (credit card) and they will refund

They refunded the orifinal one though so I ended up with gift card back

Soldato
The fact you've used the gift card most likely scuppers any chance of them reversing the transaction.
While they were at fault for issuing a gift card instead of refunding to the original method of payment, you by using the gift card have in effect accepted the return in that format.

Associate
OP
The fact you've used the gift card most likely scuppers any chance of them reversing the transaction.
While they were at fault for issuing a gift card instead of refunding to the original method of payment, you by using the gift card have in effect accepted the return in that format.

I understand that, however I didn't even know I had a gift card, until after I placed the transaction and was faced with a £0.00 charged or something.

Soldato
I understand that, however I didn't even know I had a gift card, until after I placed the transaction and was faced with a £0.00 charged or something.
Oh I fully appreciate that but that will be their 'get out of jail free card' - you used the card (even if unwittingly) so therefore you accepted that it was a valid means to refund the original purchase. Of course, ianal and all that, but I'd be pretty sure that's how they'll view it

Soldato

Before you confirmed your order, the checkout page would have had the gift card selected (which it does automatically) as the payment method, and a £0.00 order balance. Perhaps you failed to see this.

Associate
OP
Before you confirmed your order, the checkout page would have had the gift card selected (which it does automatically) as the payment method, and a £0.00 order balance. Perhaps you failed to see this.

Yeah probably because I was on the phone’s browser and kept hitting next until the order was complete..

Soldato
Can't you use it for Christmas presents? I realise it's an pain. You'll get nowhere with the robots on the online chat. Sometimes it's just not worth the stress.

Associate
OP
Can't you use it for Christmas presents? I realise it's an pain. You'll get nowhere with the robots on the online chat. Sometimes it's just not worth the stress.

That is what I am leaning towards...already searching for items i can buy to spend the gift card..usually amazon customer service is brilliant...but on this occasion, they messed up badly, and only offered an apology.

Soldato
When I do a refund/return through Amazon I always have an option for how I want my refund , either original payment or gift card.

The option is definitely there, maybe you didn’t untick giftcard.

Soldato
That is what I am leaning towards...already searching for items i can buy to spend the gift card..usually amazon customer service is brilliant...but on this occasion, they messed up badly, and only offered an apology.

It's not what it once was. It used to be brilliant but now it's hit and miss. Like you say, these days you just get an apology

Soldato
Yes they messed up. However, you missed two opportunities to notice and raise a complaint about the gift card prior to spending some of it, so you've made it worse. It seems your only recourse would be small claims court, but even then, the fact you didn't read your emails properly may count against you. Personally, I'd take it as a life lesson and move on.

Man of Honour
When I do a refund/return through Amazon I always have an option for how I want my refund , either original payment or gift card.

The option is definitely there, maybe you didn’t untick giftcard.

Last refund I had was no option was back onto my original payment method or nothing :s

Man of Honour
Not sure if because I mainly use the app but this is option I always get

Never used the app - last time I only had the original payment method button and something else (not giftcard) which was greyed out and couldn't be selected.

EDIT: Testing it with a recent order I do get the gift card option - dunno why I didn't last time.

Soldato
Never used the app - last time I only had the original payment method button and something else (not giftcard) which was greyed out and couldn't be selected.

EDIT: Testing it with a recent order I do get the gift card option - dunno why I didn't last time.

Might be because the 1st return was exchanged so perhaps the second one showed on the system as being paid via credit?

Dunno, annoying but the credit won't expire anytime soon so don't feel you need to use it all now.

Back
Top Bottom