• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Amd 2200g + B450 Mobo question first time ever Amd

Associate
OP
Don’t get me wrong I understand the views regarding go for better cpu straight away.

Just a case of from the budget view, he is literally coming from being able to play 0 games at all, so going from that to having a decent/good starter system which he can enjoy whilst not spending a great deal is the main aim.

If down the line when he finds work or has some spare income which could be either a short/long period then the option is there to grab a better cpu.

I also thought as my current laptop which I use sometimes for gaming has a i5-6300HQ, and that is around 30% slower than the 2200g and has been running games/desktop just fine

Soldato
A 1600X comes with a cooler in the box?

You shouldn't be giving advice if you don't know.

Here's you answer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SO-N2rCCThg

Like I said another £10-£15 expense you clearly don't have a clue about.

No it is terrible advice to lock yourself into a 6 core first generation chip, when Zen 2 is announced in 3 to 4 months.

Save the £50+ you'd spend getting a 1600X. It will give you next to no gaming benefit with a 1060.

DDR5 is round the corner? Seriously you don't have a clue. DDR5 will reach the mainstream boards in late 2020, if even then.

That £90 is also less down the drain than the £140 spent on a 1600X + cooler.

I admit i was wrong there but everything else I don't agree with you. The 1600 comes with a stock cooler not the 1600x.

The guy is on a tight budget and has no job and might not have disposable income for a long time. There are instances where those two extra cores will make a big difference, not just playing games. Temporary CPU is throwing money down the drain. Also those 4 cores do not have SMT enabled. Windows does anything in the background and it will make games stutter or Maybe little streaming in the future and it will stutter badly. Nobody should be buying Gaming and 4 core cpu in 2019 specially if their upgrade cycles are slow.

I am not sure what to make of your statement on resale value, definitely don't agree. Resale value is a very fluid thing and difficult to predict. You could be correct but could also be equally wrong.

If possible its best to just wait for the new ryzen 3000cpu in few months time and then buy a Ryzen 3 3000 series cpu around the £100 mark which is even better idea.

anyway if budget is tight then of course a 2200g is better than nothing but you cant argue that the 1600x is not a better purchase, because it is. And please don't try and show me some silly youtube video comparing 2, 4 and 6 core cpu for gaming.

Soldato
Thought I'd throw this into the mix:
Ryzen 3 1200 comes with cooler
Asrock B450M-HDV
2 x 4gb Team group Vulcan 3000mhz or Corsair vengeance 2666mhz

Total cost around the £170 mark. The cpu should overclock to around 3.7ghz (they go to 3.9 in good boards)
Asrock B450M-HDV excellent Matx budget board, runs the memory at 2666mhz no probs and could probably take the 1200 cpu to around 3.7ghz
The memory speaks for itself.
He could sell the ryzen 3 1200 later on, having updated the B450M mobo bios to accept a Ryzen 2 and keep the memory.
Just another option.

Throw in summat like an RX 570 4gb for about £90 and hes good to go.

Last edited:
Soldato
I built a 2200g, 8gb of 3200mhz ram, a cheap case and a mobo which cost £250 in total.

This was a gaming pc for my son for his birthday 10 months ago. I used the built in gpu to keep costs down and it's doing very well. Plays everything he likes without a issue which is all roblox games, all Lego games and the plants vs zombies garden warfare 1 and 2 etc

Associate
Its all about managing expectations, make sure your brother knows that an APU will not out perform a console when it comes to PC gaming as 1080p60 for an APU, its a tough ask, you will more likely be running 1080p30hz or maybe a bit less resolution and definately turning some setting down.

If it is likely that it will take a while to save up for a strong GPU due to having no job and as 1060s aren't cheap (probably should be a 1660 at this stage) then I would consider a 2400G as it more threads on CPU and more stream units on GPU for an extra £30, meaning less of a need to upgrade CPU when you finally get the GPU, a 4c8t ryzen will push a GPU better than a 4c chip in a modern game.

FWIW, A PS4 Pro or XBOX 1 X is a better bit of hardware for games if money is tight and finding secondhand box copies of games easy enough.

Back
Top Bottom