• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD 390X Review

Associate
According to the wccf euro region price leak, the price on the 390X is absolutely accurate. Its pretty shocking, it gives an idea on the price we will have on the fury. So actually its more like changing the Dollar symbol to a £ symbol, euro region price gouging as usual

Soldato
No it isn't. You can get a non reference 980 for £360 from OCUK right now which is basically the same price as the non reference 390x's.

The 980 is faster, uses a lot less power, runs cooler and is likely to have more OC headroom.

Why would you buy a 390x?

2 of them outperform a 980ti / Titan X for a little more for 4k gaming is the only reason i can see anyone getting a 390x

Soldato
Would take the review with a pinch of salt after reading it all. They make it sound astounding and a 980 beater yet the benchmarks dont correspond to their pleasure. Just look at the pros/cons. Thought that was funny.

Best wait for OCUK reviews. However lets face it everyone knew these cards were a non-event really. All enthusiasts are waiting for the Fury cards to see what they are like.

Man of Honour
cant trust this guys temps @ 72c as he put new thermal paste on and he said there was a warrenty void sticker over one of the screws (already broken by previous reviewer).. so you or me would void our warrenty by changing the paste

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't think you can expect the release prices to be all that competitive. I am sure the prices will likely drop to more reasonable levels shortly, like they normally do.

Also, you cant really compare prices of the old series just prior to release to the refreshed versions, as those prices were heavily slashed to clear stock and probably had very small margins for AMD to profit on.

If i didn't have a handful of 290xs already, i would be going for a few 8gb 290s, as all my games either run nicely without crossfire or are crossfire friendly. I can make good use of that extra Vram at 1080/1440p, some of the mods available for games eat tons even at lower resolutions.

As for the stickers, i have stickers on all of mine and have replaced the coolers with waterblocks. As long as you are careful you shouldn't have too much issue removing the cooler. I have a message from OCuk stating that as long as the card doesn't seem like there is a fault due to tampering and the sticker is replaced correctly, RMAs shouldn't be an issue.

Last edited:
OcUK Staff
According to the wccf euro region price leak, the price on the 390X is absolutely accurate. Its pretty shocking, it gives an idea on the price we will have on the fury. So actually its more like changing the Dollar symbol to a £ symbol, euro region price gouging as usual

On the 300 series our margin is actually very low (single digit) unfortunately as I wanted to hit:
£299 for 390X
£249 for 390
£169 for 4GB 380 (Achieved)
£139 for 2GB 380
£119 for 4GB 370
£99 for 2GB 370
£79 for 360

Unfortunately even the very lowest prices we paid and even with the stronger GBP I can't get near the targets I'd like to be at, unless I sell at a loss, that is not going to happen.

However even though AMD failed to get to the targets I wanted, the 390 is still an amazing price to be frank, 970 performance, twice the VRAM, same money, this is a good buy and the other cards are still competitively priced against their NVDIDIA rivals, just not going to blow your socks off.

Fury, yes prices will be gouged heavily, I can assure of this throughout whole of Europe those who have stock as there is so little and its a very good card.

Soldato
On the 300 series our margin is actually very low (single digit) unfortunately as I wanted to hit:
£299 for 390X
£249 for 390
£169 for 4GB 380 (Achieved)
£139 for 2GB 380
£119 for 4GB 370
£99 for 2GB 370
£79 for 360

Unfortunately even the very lowest prices we paid and even with the stronger GBP I can't get near the targets I'd like to be at, unless I sell at a loss, that is not going to happen.

However even though AMD failed to get to the targets I wanted, the 390 is still an amazing price to be frank, 970 performance, twice the VRAM, same money, this is a good buy and the other cards are still competitively priced against their NVDIDIA rivals, just not going to blow your socks off.

Fury, yes prices will be gouged heavily, I can assure of this throughout whole of Europe those who have stock as there is so little and its a very good card.

But I might want three :p

"Back off you savages!!!"

Soldato
They are £40 too expensive, but remember this could very well be just the usual mug/early adopter tax.

From what I have seen the Nano looks the pick of the litter. Anyone at 1080p or even 1440p isn't going to need more than a Nano i'd have thought.

175W...mmm. That's about the same as my old 7850...

:)

Back
Top Bottom