• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD 390X Review

OcUK Staff
The standard 390s seem like a good deal considering it is a release price.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-101-HS&groupid=701&catid=56&subcat=3059

Having said that, what is up with those HIS cards. A cooler i would expect to see around Flava Flav's neck and a blue PCB. Yuck!

I suppose all these cards look the same with a EK block and backplate fitted though.

HIS is very strong in the Far East and over their Gold cards are preferred, they are moving to Black PCB's soon, 380 series is Black PCB, 390 series will be black towards end of year.

Plus we have customers who do not give a damn on the colour as fitting in cases with no window.

Associate
These 390x would be excellent at £250 and decent at £275 but they're just terrible at £350+

I bought a 290x yesterday for £216, I'd been waiting for 300 series, but these prices just don't offer value for money. Don't get me wrong, the performance is good, but it needs to be 50% better than the 290x to compete on performance-per-pound and it is miles away from that, especially at 1080p.

I don't blame retailers, AMD just haven't delivered enough gain for the new cards to be worth the price. I guess they're hoping the 290x stock disappears ASAP so people will be forced to buy these.

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't think you can expect the release prices to be all that competitive. I am sure the prices will likely drop to more reasonable levels shortly, like they normally do.

Also, you cant really compare prices of the old series just prior to release to the refreshed versions, as those prices were heavily slashed to clear stock and probably had very small margins for AMD to profit on.

If i didn't have a handful of 290xs already, i would be going for a few 8gb 290s, as all my games either run nicely without crossfire or are crossfire friendly. I can make good use of that extra Vram at 1080/1440p, some of the mods available for games eat tons even at lower resolutions.

As for the stickers, i have stickers on all of mine and have replaced the coolers with waterblocks. As long as you are careful you shouldn't have too much issue removing the cooler. I have a message from OCuk stating that as long as the card doesn't seem like there is a fault due to tampering and the sticker is replaced correctly, RMAs shouldn't be an issue.

Yeh I agree, the prices will tumble quite quickly I'm sure.

That said, the 390 (non X) is a fantastic buy at £270 from OCUK - the increased power comsumption over the 980 would take many years to workout more expensive than the 980 asking price etc, plus you get 8GB vram for the future.

Associate
I bought a 290x yesterday for £216, I'd been waiting for 300 series, but these prices just don't offer value for money. Don't get me wrong, the performance is good, but it needs to be 50% better than the 290x to compete on performance-per-pound and it is miles away from that, especially at 1080p.

Ditto here - decided to take the gamble on it and haven't got it yet, but looking at the benchmarks of the 390/390x it's looking like it was the right choice.

Man of Honour
cant trust this guys temps @ 72c as he put new thermal paste on and he said there was a warrenty void sticker over one of the screws (already broken by previous reviewer).. so you or me would void our warrenty by changing the paste

oh, and that msi card has uber pukka cooling accoring to him..
so, uber pukka cooling + new thermal paste added = 72c
they are gonna run hot with factory stock cooling

Associate
oh, and that msi card has uber pukka cooling accoring to him..
so, uber pukka cooling + new thermal paste added = 72c
they are gonna run hot with factory stock cooling

Watch the review again. The paste problem was because another reviewer had taken it apart and not reapplied new paste.

It was NOT like that from AMD.

Man of Honour
Watch the review again. The paste problem was because another reviewer had taken it apart and not reapplied new paste.

It was NOT like that from AMD.

erm.. yeah, i watched the vid, thats why i said he applied cooling paste, very good cooling paste... probably much better cooling paste and better applied than AMD factory paste, = the 72c he got would be lower than AMD factory paste

am i missing something? or are you?

i think its a given that re-applying good quality thermal paste is better than factory paste

Last edited:
OcUK Staff
I thought you said pre-order was going to be MRSP????? Which is £499?

The UK MSRP is £549, not a chance we shall be doing £499 that is below MSRP and single digit margin, on a brand new product, not a chance.

Unless of course GBP gets even stronger in next couple of weeks then it could become a reality a month after launch.

Soldato
The UK MSRP is £549, not a chance we shall be doing £499 that is below MSRP and single digit margin, on a brand new product, not a chance.

Unless of course GBP gets even stronger in next couple of weeks then it could become a reality a month after launch.

You guys are getting really rather honest these days. I like it.

Caporegime

So AM|D has done a Nvidia then and set a higher UK MSRP compared to the US MSRP then? The gits :(

I was hopeful since the only MSRP AMD had released was $650 = £489.60 inc VAT.

Back
Top Bottom