• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD 5600 running hot with H80i v2

Soldato
Hi all, so I was running an i7 5820k under an H80i v2 and temps were great - idling at mid 30s.

I have just switched over to team AMD with a 5600 (non-X). To use the H80i, I changed the the retaining bracket and put the standoffs on my motherboard. Running under my H80i I've been getting poor temps. It was running at high 50s.
I figured I put too much paste so I cleaned it off, reapplied and tried again and it was even higher.

I have put in the stock AMD cooler and it's running at like mid 40s (with case door open).

Any ideas? Very weird that the H80i could cope with a higher watt chip and would struggle with the 5600. Seems I'm doing something wrong.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Sounds like the mounting kit is wrong, are you sure you are running the AM4 mounting kit on the H80i?

Good to hear that the AMD stock cooler is working.
It is possible, I got a 3rd party mounting kit for AMD, because the one that came with the AMD kit that came with the H80i didn't actually work (mounting holes in the bracket were off).

Using this mounting kit, I left it in the bios and the chip was gradually rose to 80C (idling).
The cooler seems to be making good contact with chip from.ehat I can tell.from.tue thermal paste.

Very frustrating, I might just sell up TBH. Time I dont have at the moment.

Soldato
OP
If it hasn't got the correct mounting kit then it's unlikely to have the correct mounting pressure which is why your temps are getting that high whilst idle in bios.
It's an authorized 3rd party kit, whereas the one "correct one" didn't even for correctly (spacing was off). From what I can tell the standoffs are exactly the same height. However you could be right, because these temps are ridiculous with the case panel off.

Weird part is, with the included cooler, it is also hitting 70+ C when idling in Windows (case panel on).

All just seems.off

Soldato
OP
There's reasons why they provide a diffrent Backplate you should use it.
It didn't come with a backplate.
Also the official one (albeit spacing was wrong) also says to use the motherboard backplate (in the instruction leaflet), so I'm thoroughly confused here.

Will add that the stock cooler is not cutting it at stock either (panel closed), so something isn't right.
Same setup with my 5820k worked pretty well.

Man of Honour
It didn't come with a backplate.
Also the official one (albeit spacing was wrong) also says to use the motherboard backplate (in the instruction leaflet), so I'm thoroughly confused here.

Will add that the stock cooler is not cutting it at stock either (panel closed), so something isn't right.
Same setup with my 5820k worked pretty well.
Apologies my mistake.

Did you say that the stock cooler from the 5600 is also running hot at idle?

Man of Honour
Yeh stock one was hot too.
Originally I thought it was okay but when it also hit 70 degrees idling in Windows (no overclock).
Then it's either a really hot cpu mite have to send it back , bad mounting maybe the motherboard bracket is misalighned or settings in the bios making the cpu run hot.

Soldato
OP
Then it's either a really hot cpu mite have to send it back , bad mounting maybe the motherboard bracket is misalighned or settings in the bios making the cpu run hot.
Send it back that’s far to hot with the standard cooler.
Yeh sending it back. Motherboard had everything on auto so assume it should be okay. Maybe it needed a bios update.

Soldato
OP
Sigh, put my old CPU (5820k) and board in and seeing high temps with my AIO. :rolleyes:

Looks like my pump might have failed.
Anyone recommend a good AIO for AM4 chips?

Back
Top Bottom