• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

amd 64 help in backplate removal

Associate
Hi guys

Im trying to remove the backplate for my AMD 64 3400+ from my old non working MSI k8n neo mobo, Does any1 have any major tips/help for removing it?

I dont want to do any damage to the cpu components as im possibly selling them on.

Associate
OP
My cpu came with a retention frame and backplate, I can remove the retention frame np just by unscrewing it but the backplate is stuck to the back of the mobo. I want to sell everything on if i can.

But if u guys think I can sell the cpu and HS on there own without fussing about the rentention bracket and backplate Ill not bother about them.

Associate
OP
MeatLoaf said:
no what i mean is the original freezer 64 came with the mounting assembly for the mobo, it wasnt really needed as the mobos had them fitted

Is this your cooler

http://www.arctic-cooling.com/cpu2.php?idx=10&disc

no, my cpu came with a HS/fan, and to equip the hs to the mobo, the retail cpu included a retention frame and backplate to attach the hs too.

http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_papers_and_tech_docs/31684.pdf

the above pdf is the installation intructions u can see them in that.

Last edited:
Soldato
To be honest i thought all A64 mobos came with the mounting stuff already on the mobo, certainly all the ones i had did.

as long as youve taken the cpu out of the socket it should just unscrew then you can prise it off itf its a littlw stuck.

Associate
OP
MeatLoaf said:
To be honest i thought all A64 mobos came with the mounting stuff already on the mobo, certainly all the ones i had did.

as long as youve taken the cpu out of the socket it should just unscrew then you can prise it off itf its a littlw stuck.

Its like welded to the mobo now lol, ill just sell on the cpu and hs/fan, ill just say thats all thats with it ;) hopefully ppl will only buy it knowing they should have a retention frame etc.

Soldato
The backplate and the retension bracket stay with the motherboard.

You only sell the AMD HS/F and the CPU, you don't need to sell the black bracket thing that was screwed to the mobo.

Associate
OP
Concorde Rules said:
The backplate and the retension bracket stay with the motherboard.

You only sell the AMD HS/F and the CPU, you don't need to sell the black bracket thing that was screwed to the mobo.

lol When i bought the cpu and mobo the bracket etc wasnt fitted to the mobo!!! I had to fit the retention frame and backplate myself to the mobo

Associate
OP
Cob said:
Is it glued on?

To attach the backplate it had like double sided tape on it and I removed the protective cover and attached it to the mobo

Concorde Rules said:
It didn't come with the CPU, I can tell you that.
You can say what u like but I had to fit my backplate and retention frame to the mobo, I know cause I had to do it!!! and it came with the cpu!

Back
Top Bottom