• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD announce EPYC

Soldato
Intel compaired their chip to a underclocked threadripper at 2.2ghz for clock for clock.
LOL! OK lets see how much you can push them and get from them, then put it on a big flag to wave :D

They used a 1800X, without any other reference to RAM speed for example. Which greatly affects the Ryzen performance

Associate
I forgot to mention intel should glue their xeon desktop chips togeather in order to get better scaling like AMD has inorder to get almost 100% scaling.
It might help them get higher clock speeds when they pack more than 8 cores togeather, I recomend Intel use a good brand adhesive to keep up with AMD.
:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

Soldato
I forgot to mention intel should glue their xeon desktop chips togeather in order to get better scaling like AMD has inorder to get almost 100% scaling.
It might help them get higher clock speeds when they pack more than 8 cores togeather, I recomend Intel use a good brand adhesive to keep up with AMD.
:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p
If they did, they would at least compete on who has the largest socket size.

Permabanned
Very critical for AMD - let's hope more join with AMD servers

Three new PowerEdge servers get AMD EPYC 7000
AMD has scored another major win as Dell EMC has signed up for its EPYC data centre processors.
Dell will use AMD chips in three new PowerEdge servers powered by AMD EPYC 7000 processors and will target enterprises.

AMD wins as Dell goes EPYC https://www.fudzilla.com/news/processors/45603-amd-wins-as-dell-goes-epyc

Soldato
So that's HPE, Supermicro, Tyan, Dell, Gigabyte and ASRock as a minimum with socket SP3 boards or servers out this year. Good spread!

Hopefully Epyc availability will become a bit easier shortly. I think the only vendor who can get you an Epyc chip right now is actually Dell in the UK.

HPE availability for the new DL385 gen10 is poor atm.

Permabanned
Exclusive AMD's push into servers has accelerated just a little after the chip-maker wooed Cisco's chief technology officer for UCS servers to join its ranks.
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/02/21/amd_lures_ciscos_server_cto_into_epyc_new_gig/

https://www.pcper.com/news/Processors/AMD-EPYC-Rome-Rumors-7nm-64-Cores-2-Designs
AMD EPYC "Rome" Rumors: 7nm, 64 Cores, 2 Design
Rome is probably not coming until 2019.

But when it does… up to 128 threads. Also, if I’m understanding WCCFTech’s post correctly, AMD will produce two different dies for this product line. One design will have 12 cores per die (x4 for 48 cores per package) and the other will have 16 cores per die (x4 for 64 cores per package). The reason why this is interesting is because AMD is, apparently, expecting to sell enough volume to warrant multiple chip designs, rather than just making a flagship and filling in SKUs with bin sorting and cutting off the cores that require abnormally high voltage for a given clock rate as parts with lesser core count. (That will happen too, as usual, but from two different intended designs instead of just the flagship.)

If Rome will have a 64-core version, maybe it means the Ryzen Threadripper or the ordinary Ryzen would have a 32-core and 16-core versions, next to the 24-core and 12-core ones.

Soldato
Unless Intel can find their own way around the problems with monolithic dies, or copy AMD's super glue they are on the ropes.

Intel are far from on the ropes, the brand recognition and relationship with OEMs is too strong. Will take AMD years and successive good releases to change that. Some competition in both price AND performance is good to see though. Hopefully next time I get some serious coin to drop on servers there is actually a choice of CPU vendor.

Caporegime
Intel are far from on the ropes, the brand recognition and relationship with OEMs is too strong. Will take AMD years and successive good releases to change that. Some competition in both price AND performance is good to see though. Hopefully next time I get some serious coin to drop on servers there is actually a choice of CPU vendor.

You didn't watch the video, follow recent AMD server trending or read what i said properly before reactionary jumping in to defend Intel.

Caporegime
Intel could always use their rebate method.

I think at this stage even Intel are not going to go down that rout, again.

Since Ryzen launch they have actually cut the Intel Inside program by 60%, the problem is if you keep paying people to use your chips instead of the competition not only are you risking anti trust penalties 'again' but you are also creating an environment where your potential customers come to rely on unprofitable deals, which means while your competition is not selling their products you are also not making any money.

Even Intel know eventually you have to grow up and accept you have competition and you may even lose some marketshare to it.

Soldato
You didn't watch the video, follow recent AMD server trending or read what i said properly before reactionary jumping in to defend Intel.

Would you like to calm down dear? Hyperbolic statements are a bit out of place when it's difficult for customers to actually buy Epyc servers until now. "Recent server trending" from AMD has been showing off some nice graphs and announcing partnerships, not selling metal.

I'm a massive detractor or Intel's practices over the years, defence squad I am not :p

Caporegime
Would you like to calm down dear? Hyperbolic statements are a bit out of place when it's difficult for customers to actually buy Epyc servers until now. "Recent server trending" from AMD has been showing off some nice graphs and announcing partnerships, not selling metal.

I'm a massive detractor or Intel's practices over the years, defence squad I am not :p

A 15 year old advert jibe? ok then :D

Back
Top Bottom