• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD announce EPYC

Permabanned
I guess it is difficult for customers to actually buy EPYC servers because the overall demand and interest from customers is low, hence there is not enough production.

Caporegime
As far as i can tell all the main services providers are onboard with EPYC, 8 moths is not enough time to judge it one way or the other, if you're Google, Microsoft, Cisco and the likes it takes a couple of years to get your infrastructure up and running for new server architectures so you're not going to be selling these people your CPU's on mass right away.

Others like Dell and HPE selling individual servers to individuals is small fry but AMD are gaining market share with it.

My point was this, in short, and do watch the video if you already haven't.

AMD are (in very rough numbers) currently selling 32 core CPU's for £4000 at a £1000 cost.

Intel 24 core CPU's for £8000 at £4000 cost.

This is due to the costs of Intel having to use monolithic dies vs AMD using 4 small dies glued together, glued is a term Intel used to describe it, it makes it sound crude, its actually very sophisticated and it allows AMD to make much larger CPU's for much less money.

What i, in a less explanatory way, said was unless Intel can find a way to get around that ^^^ Intel are in trouble because they cannot compete with AMD with AMD using the Infinity Fabric technology.

If you watch the video all this should be obvious to you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucMQermB9wQ

Last edited:
Soldato
The main barrier to Enterprise adoption for Epyc isn't just about availability, it's getting the stuff supported and tested by the rest of the industry. E.G to keep my OS in "support" I need to be on a specific release to get that support with Epyc, and to move to that release I need all my other stuff to work on that release, like my expensive DBs and apps, let alone stuff like drivers for enterprise kit, early firmware woes, a boat load of other stuff you need to test with etc etc

The cloud providers don't have to worry about this so much, as in many cases they are effectively rolling there own stack top to bottom, with much more money and expertise than the average big business throw at there own facilities or hyperscale R&D

Permabanned
The main barrier to Enterprise adoption for Epyc isn't just about availability, it's getting the stuff supported and tested by the rest of the industry. E.G to keep my OS in "support" I need to be on a specific release to get that support with Epyc, and to move to that release I need all my other stuff to work on that release, like my expensive DBs and apps, let alone stuff like drivers for enterprise kit, early firmware woes, a boat load of other stuff you need to test with etc etc

The cloud providers don't have to worry about this so much, as in many cases they are effectively rolling there own stack top to bottom, with much more money and expertise than the average big business throw at there own facilities or hyperscale R&D

Yes, and this is why the industry must rethink its attitude and instead of insisting to kill AMD by not supporting their products, the industry must turn around and improve their relations with AMD and EPYC Zen processors.
The industry must understand that it has to work mostly with AMD, and to a limited extent with Intel.

AMD are (in very rough numbers) currently selling 32 core CPU's for £4000 at a £1000 cost.

Intel 24 core CPU's for £8000 at £4000 cost.

Caporegime
Yes, and this is why the industry must rethink its attitude and instead of insisting to kill AMD by not supporting their products, the industry must turn around and improve their relations with AMD and EPYC Zen processors.
The industry must understand that it has to work mostly with AMD, and to a limited extent with Intel.

I would say they are, honestly i think now they realize a monopoly by anyone vendor is bad for them.

Caporegime
Soldato
110% faster than the EPYC 7601 which boosts to 2.7 GHz on all cores. Assuming it's legit, hopefully this engineering sample is running at a lower clock speed for that test because otherwise the total improvement from doubling the RAM channels and upping IPC would only be 5% (assuming perfect core scaling).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom