• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD announce EPYC

Associate
An Epyc Update by AdoredTV

Several interesting things mentioned such as the 8+1 chiplet design is confirmed and there is 32 MB L3 per 8-core chiplet, so for the 64-core that’s 256 MB.
Another interesting bit is rumors of something called ZenX, but no more information is available yet.

Basically Intel is in big trouble :D

Last edited:
Soldato
An Epyc Update by AdoredTV

Several interesting things mentioned such as the 8+1 chiplet design is confirmed and there is 32 MB L3 per 8-core chiplet, so for the 64-core that’s 256 MB.
Another interesting bit is rumors of something called ZenX, but no more information is available yet.

Basically Intel is in big trouble :D

Also interesting are the node options..... You cut 60% power or go +30% clocks....
But who wants server chip at 5.2Ghz all core? :p

Soldato
Wonder what we can expect from Zen2 given that Epyc looks like its shaping up to be half decent.
AMD going to push for the HPP in mainstream and LPP in server & TR4. Was an article about this some time ago.
That means Ryzen 7/5/3 going to run at same power envelop as today, but at 30% higher speeds. While the LPP parts going to run at same power as same speeds but much more cores.

That also potentially leave the TR4 market having both LPP and HPP parts, and the customers pick what they want. 64 core low speed/power part or a 16 core monster doing 5.2Ghz.

Soldato
Honestly if AMD managed to get 30% clockspeed on Zen+ with a small IPC uplift i just cannot see how Intel fight that? i mean right now all they have is a clockspeed and marginal IPC advantage... If they lose both of those it will be pretty grim for them for a while.

Soldato
Honestly if AMD managed to get 30% clockspeed on Zen+ with a small IPC uplift i just cannot see how Intel fight that? i mean right now all they have is a clockspeed and marginal IPC advantage... If they lose both of those it will be pretty grim for them for a while.
The 30% clock speed bump quoted is (a) compared to TSMC's 16nm node, not GlobalFoundries' 12nm node which is used for Zen+, (b) a "best case scenario". Do not expect 5.5 GHz Ryzen 3 chips lol.

Soldato
The 30% clock speed bump quoted is (a) compared to TSMC's 16nm node, not GlobalFoundries' 12nm node which is used for Zen+, (b) a "best case scenario". Do not expect 5.5 GHz Ryzen 3 chips lol.

Oh i know, im expecting to see a Zen2 Chip that boosts to around 4.8ghz, and some better IPC.

Soldato
The US DoE next supercomputer is using Epyc:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/9so28s/the_department_of_energy_has_announced_that_epyc/

Edit!!

https://www.hpcwire.com/2018/10/30/cray-unveils-shasta-lands-nersc-9-contract/

In tandem with Cray’s Shasta disclosures, the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) is announcing that NERSC, the National Energy Research Scientific Computing Center, has chosen a Cray Shasta supercomputer for its NERSC-9 system, slated for delivery in late 2020. Named “Perlmutter” (after Nobel Prize winning astrophysicist Saul Perlmutter), the system will feature AMD Epyc processors and Nvidia GPUs offering a combined peak performance of ~100 petaflops and a sustained application performance equivalent to about 3X that of the Cray Cori (NERSC-8) supercomputer. The new contract, which includes a Cray Clusterstor storage system, is worth a reported $146 million, one of the largest in Cray’s history. (We’ll be reporting additional details of the NERSC-9 system soon.)

Last edited:
Associate
Have been told that Intel are offering discounts of 50% off their platinum chips for version vendors of high performance computing systems because of the AMD threat. Along with discounts on their OPA interconnect to get people away from infiniband.

Caporegime
Have been told that Intel are offering discounts of 50% off their platinum chips for version vendors of high performance computing systems because of the AMD threat. Along with discounts on their OPA interconnect to get people away from infiniband.

That doesn't surprise me, this was inevitable and i don't think it matters too much, at half the price all Intel are doing is matching AMD's pricing while they are still offering more cores per package, AMD are gaining big customers with big orders despite this.

Intel had to cut their pricing by 50% to avoid becoming completely irrelevant.

Its all good news, Intel cutting their pricing by what is a massive amount shows they have a real fear of AMD once again.

Soldato
That doesn't surprise me, this was inevitable and i don't think it matters too much, at half the price all Intel are doing is matching AMD's pricing while they are still offering more cores per package, AMD are gaining big customers with big orders despite this.

Intel had to cut their pricing by 50% to avoid becoming completely irrelevant.

Its all good news, Intel cutting their pricing by what is a massive amount shows they have a real fear of AMD once again.

They are haemorrhaging customers in the desktop sector too, despite their diehards who gobble up junk like the 9900k, which i believe is actually an extremely small percentage of actual buyers, i would imagine most are low bier i3 / i5 buyers in all honesty. So wouldn't be surprised if they slashed some prices there as well, although they have such a huge product stack they kinda back themselves into a corner as there is little wiggle room between many of the chips to make really good price discounts to match AMD without making 30%+ of their product stack irrelevant.

As i said a few weeks ago at a local Dell EMC event at Shepperton Studios the hosts were preaching up EPYC in a big way.

Soldato
They are haemorrhaging customers in the desktop sector too, despite their diehards who gobble up junk like the 9900k, which i believe is actually an extremely small percentage of actual buyers, i would imagine most are low bier i3 / i5 buyers in all honesty. So wouldn't be surprised if they slashed some prices there as well, although they have such a huge product stack they kinda back themselves into a corner as there is little wiggle room between many of the chips to make really good price discounts to match AMD without making 30%+ of their product stack irrelevant.

As i said a few weeks ago at a local Dell EMC event at Shepperton Studios the hosts were preaching up EPYC in a big way.

its when OEM start ordering AMD, intel got scared and will be once they dont keep or or cut down their intel orders . few BIG OEM demanded stock be met and didnt get a straight answer so produced AMD systems very rapid - normall you dont say know to those OEM haha

Associate
its when OEM start ordering AMD, intel got scared and will be once they dont keep or or cut down their intel orders . few BIG OEM demanded stock be met and didnt get a straight answer so produced AMD systems very rapid - normall you dont say know to those OEM haha

Silver lining, solves their supply issues :)

Soldato
But, But, AVX512 .......

*snrkk!* :D

Give me open standards or give me death!

Intel buried AMD with anti-competitive pricing and incentives last time AMD stole a march on them. And they have very deep pockets. Could they do it again?

Back
Top Bottom