** AMD BACK IN THE GAME: PRICE DROP EXCLUSIVE TO OcUK!! **

Caporegime
How big is Vulkan going to be? As stated in the sister thread, I am torn. Currently rocking a 290 which is fine but not capable for >60FPS @ high in some games. The Fury seems the wise choice on the red side, decent step up from my 290. However the 1070 I was considering is ahead of the Fury and in some tests it absolutely does the Fury over.......but Vulkan and the whole hardware async compute units could swing things back. is the 1070 worth the extra £100?

Soldato
For DX12 & Vulkan another 290 would be better, the fury is not really a good upgrade for you, the 1070 is okay but its value is down a lot for dx12&Vulkan and is a bit too expensive atm. Imo your best bet is to find used 980tis for around £300, nothing will be better value than that.

Caporegime
Great deals and all that but it does make me wonder why this is happening. Are AMD not confident in getting full whack for their products? The 480 has barely landed!

Associate
Am I right to think that anti-aliasing uses a lot of memory and therefore if 4GB proves to be too little then one way to lower the memory demand is to reduce the level to, for example, down to 2x msaa from 4x msaa? This wouldn't be too much of an issue if using a high resolution, high dpi, monitor.

Soldato
Am I right to think that anti-aliasing uses a lot of memory and therefore if 4GB proves to be too little then one way to lower the memory demand is to reduce the level to, for example, down to 2x msaa from 4x msaa? This wouldn't be too much of an issue if using a high resolution, high dpi, monitor.

Sounds right. Also depends on the game, the faster the picture movement the less AA matters to me

Associate
I'm tempted with the a Fury but I have a Fractal Design R3 and it won't fit (have just about 30cm) for the gpu. Okay so I don't mind changing my case but I can't decide what to go for.

Back
Top Bottom