• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Bulldozer Finally!

Caporegime
Well, AMD's answers to the disappointment, were GPU limited benchmarks, so I wouldn't trust them as far as I can throw them.
And also, onto Piledriver, don't AMD's own slides predict 10%? Well, Ivy will probably bring around 10% improvement over SB, from a mixture of higher standard clocks, clocking ability, and minor IPC improvements.
So they're still back where they are, possibly at Phenom II level if we're lucky.

To be honest, Phenom II can get a 3GHZ CPU NB fairly easy, that improves its performance quite a bit. A "4 core/2 module" Piledriver might still get outperformed by a properly clocked Phenom II.

Last edited:
Caporegime
And I was people would stop bringing up server stuff, this isn't the server variant, yes, it might make a fine server chip, but what good is that in desktop space?

Yet you keep bringing up JF's comments which in every thread I've ever seen he always says "these comments are about server performance".

Also you seem to not know what IPC is, separate the words, instructions per clock, NOT performance per clock, NOR performance per CORE.

Even then that's open to interpretation, because it can decode less instructions per clock but the core itself, despite one less integer pipeline, can actually run through more per clock. In terms of server throughput, theoretical instructions per clock and ACTUAL instructions per clock are VERY different, you can reduce the former AND raise the latter, realistically you'd end up with a better performing chip if you lowered peak but raised the average performance.

But again, you have said JF/lies/AMD/marketing multiple times on this page alone, and you use JF's statements which are specific to server chips, then ask everyone to ignore server performance because only desktop matters.

Then we can bring up things like, cache being broken(if it is, or poorly implemented) can drop effective IPC while the core is no different. Its highly likely the SAME cores with the SAME clock speed with different cache could be significantly faster, it seems obvious to everyone but you that IPC can be dramatically improved with proper scheduling. Nothing so far has disproved that IPC on Bulldozer is higher than Phenom, but a factor of MANY things outside of the core itself can lead to lower performance, there are situations in which it is faster. If they bought out a fixed bulldozer with fixed cache but identical actual modules, and performance was up 30% the effective IPC of the modules/cores will not have changed, just the overall package will perform differently.

You change your argument to suit, I'll use JF's server performance claims about desktop and bemoan anyone else mentioning server performance as its not relevant.

You can't prove IPC is lower, you can't find JF say he talks about anything other than server performance, server performance is relevant just not to you.

Except I'm not? If Bulldozer was clocked 1GHZ higher, and overclocked 1GHZ higher than SB, it might be worthwhile, even with the low IPC.
IPC inherently improves performance across the board however.

This is not an accurate statement, at all, what you I assume meant to say was, performance per core improvements inherantly increases performance across the board........... IF you make no sacrifices in the architecture to raise per core performance.

In reality AMD could not fit 8 "wider" cores on a Bulldozer die, its that simple. Unlike you I have from day one said, per core performance IS irrelevant. There isn't a single thing I'd do on a 2500k, 2600k or Bulldozer, or Phenom x4/x6 where single threaded performance matters any more. There isn't a single game I own, going back 15 years that is single threaded that won't run great on a Bulldozer, new games are all multithreaded, some of them are heavily multithreaded, performance in all of them is more than ample, and going into the future more games will be more heavily multithreaded thereby using the bulldozer more effectively.

Anyway I went a little off track there, to raise IPC as you see it, performance per core on a single thread, you WOULD need a more robust front end AND another integer pipe, maybe a little more FPU aswell, this would all have made it impossible to have 8 cores on a die. So you'd end up with 4 "fat" cores, faster in single thread, same speed or even maybe slower in heavily multithreaded applications. Heavy multithreading IS the future, bringing a new architecture out now, which will carry over for the next 4-5 years at least, and focusing on single threaded performance WOULD end AMD, its that simple. Basing an architecture that needs to be competitive in 5 years, on single threaded performance, would be beyond stupid.

In your magical world of make believe where you can make the cores wider with no die size penalty and increase the single threaded performance, sure, that would be great, but we don't live in the land of Martini makes up the rules of physics.

It's software that can't utilise the threads.
Pretty much in the majority of situations, only half of the integer cores will be getting used lol.

I really have no idea what you are getting at with this, it seems to be not the first time where you suggest a 10-25% performance bump in single threaded performance is laughable as it won't improve 8 threaded performance.........

Yet in any other post all you complain about is single threaded performance, and randomly ignore the fact that with 8 threads Bulldozer beats the 2600k multiple times and the 2500k almost every time. So the one area it would bump performance is the one area you complain about but this is somehow.... laughable.

More importantly, with a 15-25% bump in single threaded performance in 4 or less threaded performance, Bulldozer would likely beat the x6/x4 in almost every single situation with mostly similar clock speeds.

Lets be honest, you talked crap about Bulldozer when you didn't understand it, you talked crap and literally lied about what other people had supposedly said about it ( You have indeed accused me of saying Bulldozer would be awesome and be faster than Sandybridge, when I was infact one of the few to point out exactly why it would not), you're still talking crap about Bulldozer even ignoring all facts now known. You consistantly call it slower than an X6/x4/previous gen, despite multiple situations in which it trashes the x6/x4, which are, as it happens, area's where software will be going more frequently in the coming years and, meh, not much else needs to be said.

You've been trolling this thread since the start, posting more ill informed crap than anyone else, doing a bit of a "raven" by trying to hype expectation about what you think it should do, then coming in after and saying how crap it is and you seem to have a fundamental lack of knowledge about errm, everything in which you talk about.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Seriously DM, I couldn't care about what you say. Half the stuff you're saying, about what I've apparently said, I haven't, just give it a rest.
You're fine passing judgement on everyone else with "LOLOLOL, NEVER HEARD SUCH NONESENSE".
Stop trying to bait. Cheers.
To be fair, it's far easier to just throw you on the ignore list, if you had such a problem with me, you'd have done the same, likewise what I'll do with you, with your "Calling out" lark.

Last edited:
Soldato
wow that is a long post, heck even longer than mine usually are! :eek:

but yeah, too true about Phenom II, had a bit of a tinker with my 1055T and realised that even stuff like overclocking the CPU-NB offers improvements, heck I got ~17% improvement in Starcraft II FPS from more or less that alone which I found astonishing. Phenom II is pretty competitive in a few things, it just can't overcome the IPC difference that Intel has and more MHZ would just mask a deeper problem.

the CPU-NB frequency seems to have a much smaller effect on Bulldozer mind, possible ~5% at best? based on benchmarks I still think a lot of the performance issues are cache dependant, can't understand why they give it such a small L1 cache? surely a larger L1 is more important than a larger L2, since the L1 is the 'super-fast' cache that has almost no delay at all, rather than having to keep going back to the L2 and L3. :confused:

Caporegime
wow that is a long post, heck even longer than mine usually are! :eek:

but yeah, too true about Phenom II, had a bit of a tinker with my 1055T and realised that even stuff like overclocking the CPU-NB offers improvements, heck I got ~17% improvement in Starcraft II FPS from more or less that alone which I found astonishing. Phenom II is pretty competitive in a few things, it just can't overcome the IPC difference that Intel has and more MHZ would just mask a deeper problem.

the CPU-NB frequency seems to have a much smaller effect on Bulldozer mind, possible ~5% at best? based on benchmarks I still think a lot of the performance issues are cache dependant, can't understand why they give it such a small L1 cache? surely a larger L1 is more important than a larger L2, since the L1 is the 'super-fast' cache that has almost no delay at all, rather than having to keep going back to the L2 and L3. :confused:

Phenom II is by far my favourite line up of CPU's.
When I moved to my 2500k and MSI GD 65 originally, I missed the amount I could tweak my AMD based system, so when my GD65 popped a VRM, I went back to the CH IV and 1055T, then came AMD's slide in June and I bought a Maximus IV Extreme lol.

If Phenom II had the clocking ability of SB, coupled with the CPU NB at 3GHZ, it'd be quite potent at the right price, much more potent than the current FX chips are, and I'm sure you'd agree?

I know that it's not a reality, and it's merely hypothetical.

Soldato
at the moment I would agree yeah, Phenom II on 32NM with some of the K10.5+ tweaks in Llano would be interesting, its probably the processor I have most enjoyed tweaking, there are so many variables to play around with. the biggest problem K10.5 had wasn't that it didn't have resources, because in that respect it is very competitive with Intel but it didn't make full use of those resources through various factors, which is why AMD decided to ditch the very frequently un-used ALU in favour of more aggressive pre-fetching and branch prediction, which in ALU tests seems to show it hasn't lost any performance in that respect, rather gained a slight bit over Phenom II, so essentially they have done the same with less resources, by using those resources in a more aggressive and efficient manner.

still wouldn't mind an eight core, 32NM K10.5+ on AM3+, reckon that would be a capable processor.

also with Phenom II did you notice any real difference going over 2800MHZ CPU-NB speed? think I actually lost a bit of performance going over that rather than gained...which is why I have it set to 2.8GHZ at the moment. :confused:

Soldato
did you find higher CPU-NB with tighter RAM timings gave best performance? cause right now I have 2.8GHZ CPU-NB and higher RAM frequency but not adjusted timings at the moment, know in the past AMD architectures used to love tight memory but didn't think that was still the case? :p

Caporegime
I only really ran tighter timings because I could. It never gave any real world performance increase, and was only noticed in memory benchmarks.
I personally (Possible placebo) found my 3.2GHZ CPU NB and 1600MHZ CL6 RAM to give the best experience.

Soldato
quite interested in picking up one of those FX-6100 when B3 is released, would be interested in doing some FX-6100 vs. 1055T testing, same system just swapping out processors, but as it stands at the moment the power consumption and cache latency issues are breaking the deal for me. :)

Soldato
yeah read about that last night, cutting workforce is an unfortunate side affect of taking on the Intel juggernaut, though market speaking they should be already with Llano and Zacate doing so well in their respective markets, Trinity should hopefully take Llano up another notch and decimate Ivy Bridge in that market (obviously not on core performance mind!), also hear Bulldozer is doing quite well in the server space? the only platform they haven't got any growth in at the moment is the desktop platform, they just can't seem to shift Sandy Bridge utter superiority in the market even though Bulldozer version 1 has bridge the gap in some respects, some remain like massive chasms.

another note is AMD are going through CEO's like there is not tomorrow at the moment as well, guessing the idea is to find some stability and get a proper 'leader' into the fold to take the company in the right direction, a direction where it can compete. wait and see what Trinity brings to the table, since Piledriver is a revision of Bulldozer, they predicted 10 - 15% increase in performance vs. Bulldozer, but not sure if that took into account whatever is hampering Bulldozer so much, so it could be an even bigger increase who knows...? :)

Caporegime
Llano is a good product, the only problem is that it doesn't seem to be anywhere, the same with AMD fusion netbooks etc.

It's all well and good having the better products in a market, but it means nothing if it's hard to find.
I'm talking for the general populace.

Associate
Well, AMD's answers to the disappointment, were GPU limited benchmarks, so I wouldn't trust them as far as I can throw them.
And also, onto Piledriver, don't AMD's own slides predict 10%? Well, Ivy will probably bring around 10% improvement over SB, from a mixture of higher standard clocks, clocking ability, and minor IPC improvements.
So they're still back where they are, possibly at Phenom II level if we're lucky.

To be honest, Phenom II can get a 3GHZ CPU NB fairly easy, that improves its performance quite a bit. A "4 core/2 module" Piledriver might still get outperformed by a properly clocked Phenom II.

I am not trying to defend BD but nearly all gamers are GPU limited so there is merit to running at standard settings. Outside of dual card setup's most people wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a BD and 2500k- other than the massive increase in room temperature!

Back
Top Bottom