• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD confirms Ryzen 7 5800X3D launches this spring, Zen4 Raphael in 2H 2022

Soldato
Soldato
OP
The Zen3D single sku is a bit of a meme and frankly forgettable. I'm sure some diehards will get it but outside of very cache happy games like CS:GO, it'll be meh.

Zen 4 is interesting and clearly will start off with DDR5 support which is great. Hopefully DDR5 IC maturity, price and availability is normalized by Q4.

DDR5 is pretty easy to get already - been loads of stock of Gskill 5600Mhz, 6000Mhz kits in the last few weeks, for MSRP.

Soldato
OP
"Spring" 2022 for launch, was hoping we'd see this sooner. Then again AMD say Zen4 is "on track" for 2H 2022 release - though what's on track can easily run later. I think AMD would prefer a solid year between Zen3 refresh and Zen4 launch, not to annoy their own customers etc.

Soldato
OP
first 3D V Cache benchmarks appear.

And interestingly, the benchmarks show that for applications that don't fill up the L3 cache, actually perform Worse on the new models. This makes sense, we know the new v cache chips run slower than the old ones, so if a piece of software is not utilizing the extra L3 cache available then all you have is a CPU with useless cache and slower clock speeds for your efforts.

When all the L3 cache is filled, overall memory latency is reduced below the old models and this benefits gaming - this is why some games will see a nice performance gain on the 5800x3d and some will see no difference or even a reduction in performance. To get any of the benefit of the new v cache requires the game/application to fill the L3 v cache, otherwise bandwidth and latency is no different to the old models and because the boost clocks are lower the game/application performs the same or slower.

This means reviews for the 5800x3d are going to be very interesting, because you will able to cherry picks benchmarks to show the 5800x3d running slower than the 5800x in some games and cherry pick benchmarks to show the 5800x3d running significantly faster than the 5800x in other games.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-3d-v-cache-benchmarks-mixed-results-milan-x-cpus

Not good, especially when the price may be considerably more than a 5800X thanks to the complicated manufacturing process.

AMD need Zen4 now - lets hope it remains on track for "2H 2022".

Soldato
OP
Zen 3d will be enough for ADL, as i said it is short term solution, no need to create new architecture for ADL. Zen 4 will beat RPL, especially with their full ddr5 memory controller, and if that isn't enough they will have better 3d cache integration and yield by that time that will demolish Intel.

Doesn't have enough cores to beat ADL in vast majority of benchmarks. Would need a 5950X with 3d cache for that, which is not being released.

Soldato
OP
I don’t recall the test system amd used but if it’s something like base spec ddr5 on adl and 58003dx was trading blows, it’s gonna be a long day when put up against a tuned adl system.

I'm very curious as to the price. 5800X is already overpriced (vs ADL competition) at £400. 5800X3D needs to be £450 max for it to be a consideration IMO, though I can easily see it being closer to £600, considering the manufacturing complexity and price increases from TSMC.

Soldato
OP
At the time of quoting.

#1, 5600X
#2, 5800X
#3, 5950X
#4, 5900X
#5, ??????
#6, 5600G
#7, 12700KF
#8, 5700G
#9, 10400
#10, 12700K
#11, 10400F
#12, 10100F

However there was a time when AMD locked out the top 12 entirely, so in that sense yes technically ADL is taking its toll on Ryzen sales, there are now 2 ADL CPU's vs 6 AMD CPU's, instead of 0 for 12.

Perhaps you'll find this useful?

T8Atgtk.png

Source: https://videocardz.com/newz/intel-is-again-gaining-market-share-in-diy-cpu-market

There's a clear trend where sales are headed. We'll see what impact the 5800X3D has, though it'll be too slow in multi-core workloads vs the competition to be a threat IMO. Also likely far too expensive.

Soldato
OP
Alongside the 5800X3D, AMD seems to be releasing several new Ryzen 5000 series chips in March.
https://www.techpowerup.com/292657/...han-four-new-ryzen-5000-series-chips-in-march
3454611.jpg

These should have released when 12th gen Alder Lake released imo, 5-6 months ago. Too little too late, considering Raptor Lake and Zen 4 will crater prices on current gen CPU's.

Soldato
OP
AMD have confirmed they are coming in the spring (subject to cancellation if they are really as bad as you think of course ;)). Beyond rumours we don't know precisely when.

It's starting to look like late spring, but we'll see. Will be interesting to see just how delayed Zen4 will be, as I doubt AMD will launch Zen3 refresh and Zen4 in less than 6 months of each other, would be a pointless excercise. This leaves Intel with huge price and performances advantages for too long IMO.

Also, Raptor Lake gets closer each week AMD delay.

Back
Top Bottom