• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD GO WILD: VEGA 56 THE TRUE DEAL OF THE CENTURY AND IT JUST GOT BETTER!!!

Associate
Got a link? OCUK don't sell one so I believe you can share a link.
I have tried two from Amazon and nada.

I was thinking of getting ‘
CPO Gold Plated 1 m HDMI to DVI Cable - Black/Blue

by CPO’ from the Tree Company.

As well as buying the Vega 56 from here.
I’m too stuck and frustrated. If the RX2060 was same price and had 8gb vram I would buy that as comes with a DVI-D port the Palit one.

If I got Vega 56. Would HDMI be exactly same quality as DVI-D apart from a max 60hz, so constant 60fps max?

Associate
That will be single link as it only supports 1920x1200

Ahh, I was wanting 1920x1080 at 120hz, does this not do that?
I’m stuck between;
this card and getting the right cable
palit Rtx2060
Buying Division 2 and playing medium settings or buy for PS4
Or
Forget the urge to upgrade and try and fall in love with another older game and maybe boot up something like Borderlands 2 to solve my urge for a good looter shooter?

Everything never seems simple. I have a few hours to decide my option or I miss the boat on getting a new card for Division 2 launch and my day off!??

Associate
Vega 56 Strix OC comes with DVI-D, thats what I am planning to go for, but want to make sure its cooler isnt bodged.

I looked at that, though didn’t like the fact that I would pay £360 for an older card. The fact that you can get the Nitro Vega 64 for just £20 more (though connection problem again. Or for 20% more cash you are in 2070 territory.

Damn connections, be so much easier if monitor had DisplayPort. Brings a whole new headache if I start to look at monitors as that introduces a new monitor and more research....by the time you look at increase resolutions, you are £2k or so down with a whole new build. Too much time dwelling on best option!?

It all started when I originally considered a used 580 for the £135 mark and then saw the 2 game offer that dragged me up into buying new and the Vega 56 deals.

Console gaming is so much easier on the brain :0)

Associate
I wonder if rather than spending the extra on the RTX 2060, I just bought the Vega 56 and a new monitor like https://www.overclockers.co.uk/aoc-...reesync-widescreen-led-monitor-mo-04m-ao.html
Would the Vega 56 still give high fps at 1440p?
Or would this make my i5 2500K seem even older by going up in resolution? TBH last few week running at 4.2ghz and I keep getting bluscreens so maybe something is wanting to go to the graveyard :O(

Soldato
I wonder if rather than spending the extra on the RTX 2060, I just bought the Vega 56 and a new monitor like https://www.overclockers.co.uk/aoc-...reesync-widescreen-led-monitor-mo-04m-ao.html
Would the Vega 56 still give high fps at 1440p?
Or would this make my i5 2500K seem even older by going up in resolution? TBH last few week running at 4.2ghz and I keep getting bluscreens so maybe something is wanting to go to the graveyard :O(

1440p 75hz IPS + Freesync is probably the ideal monitor for a V56. Yeah, the 2500k will bottleneck any new GPU for high framerate gaming, no doubt, but if you play a lot of esports titles (Csgo, dota 2 etc) it might still be worth getting a 144hz monitor. After all, you'll keep the monitor a lot longer & into a CPU upgrade as well. But then that's more money & it all adds up.

Personally, I'd go for V56 + that 75hz monitor because I don't rate high refresh rate monitors too highly for people who don't just play esports games constantly, and I'm not them.

Associate
1440p 75hz IPS + Freesync is probably the ideal monitor for a V56. Yeah, the 2500k will bottleneck any new GPU for high framerate gaming, no doubt, but if you play a lot of esports titles (Csgo, dota 2 etc) it might still be worth getting a 144hz monitor. After all, you'll keep the monitor a lot longer & into a CPU upgrade as well. But then that's more money & it all adds up.

Personally, I'd go for V56 + that 75hz monitor because I don't rate high refresh rate monitors too highly for people who don't just play esports games constantly, and I'm not them.

Thanks bud. I'm not an esports person. I get wrecked online so prefer a nice looter shooter and solo play a lot of the time as can go at my own pace that way. I like online games as rare items feel rare compared to a single player game.
Would 75fps be my theretical maximum then?

I might just get the Vega 56 now and use HDMI (Should the 'CPO Gold Plated 1 m HDMI to DVI Cable' from the tree place not work) as that cable is worth a punt for £5.50 to see if I can get my DVI-D working. Then I can review if to get a monitor next pay day or wait until the next amd chip and do a full sweep. I would probably hope to have the Vega at least a year or two before jumping into 4k gaming as I'm sure 1440p sat close can offer plenty of iCandy over my 23"1080p monitor.

One last thing. I have a Antec TruePower New Modular 650W '80 Plus Bronze' Power Supply and can't find the box anywhere for the extra cables. I can see that the connectors are set out slightly different from a normal 8pin on the PSU.
So in regards to the Vega 56, it requires 2x8pin. Would a 8pin on one and using an adapter to change 6pin to 8 pin affect the card? This would run from 25amps (it says) but this only has a 8pin+6pin?
Or would I be best using to seperate lines/lanes for each of the 8pin connections.

Sorry for all questions in advance, just race against time to get delivery for tomorrow

Back
Top Bottom