• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: AMD Keeps Screwing Up (HUB video) - do they?

Do people think AMD keep screwing up with their dGPU launches?

• Total voters
Not sure why the wall of text was needed in response to, if you believe marketing from any company you are the problem. Marketing = professional/paid lying.

If you don't believe that marketing plays some part in a companies success then you are delusional.

There are reasons why companies spending millions on marketing and it's not just a case of to lie or mislead potential/current customers... Not all marketing is lying although I suppose you could consider amds marketing to be lying in many ways, same way certain claims by nvidias marketing department are also lying.

The point of this thread and the point that HUB get to isn't so much just "marketing" but also the execution by amd.

As noted above by someone else (which is what we all value the most) it's the outcome/results that are most important and this outcome is confirmed by reviewers but poor execution/marketing can leave a bad taste in the mouth hence why amd are still renowned for always under delivering.

Last edited:
If you don't believe that marketing plays some part in a companies success then you are delusional.

I didn't say that - the video surrounded people being disappointed by AMD's marketing, therefore the people who believe the marketing bull are the issue. So you must be delusional then to think any marketing is anything but an attempt to make a product look good or make a sale.

If you put any faith in any marketing, without using purely objective first hand data then you are the issue. The marketing is always going to try and paint something in the best light, they are a publicly traded company.

The point of this thread and the point that HUB get to isn't so much just "marketing" but also the execution by amd.

The point of this thread is to highlight who believes marketing, and who can think for themselves.

Having had all high-end cards this gen I gotta say I'm more than happy with the XTX atm (helps that I got it for a really good price!). Performs well and the software side of things has some nice features :cool:

Paired it with a 7800X3D too now as I've seen proper SAM have some benefits even at 4k (mainly raised mins, was from a review a while back).

Price matters!

If AMD priced the XTX properly from the get go I would have likely got one.

AMD have a vastly smaller budget in everything versus nVidia, so they seem to focus on the here and now, e.g. raster performance. Whats going to happen is nVidia are going to focus more and more on where the money is (data centre and AI) and less on their roots, which could leave AMD as the only game in town for the budget segment (at least until we know what Intels plans are long term).

as above doesnt matter how much you mess up a the main key her is value/performance. its its half decent against the green machine but with far superior value, folk will buy, generally goes for most things tbh. the common sense approach :cry:

There was so much complaining (rightfully so) in the current GEN that there was nothing in the mainstream until very late in the launch, and that the high end stuff was £lol

Next gen will likely be the same again, so i couldnt care less if AMD have a GPU available that compares with the £2k 5090 from Nvidia.

If AMD plays Their cards right, it could well be rich folk and content creators = NVIDIA, mainstream gaming any everyone else = AMD.

It will be ages before NVIDIA release anything but £700+ cards, so AMD could get in there with good value option, 16gb VRAM with decent performance at a sensible price. With nothing but low end 40 series to compare it to (which werent much better than 30 series) and it could be good for them.

I voted yes. It's mainly on the top tier cards where this happens. The 7800xt launch was fine and was well recieved but the pricing on the 7900xt at launch was a big failure. To gain share back they need to undercut Nvidia by more than they do and take some pain on the margins. In the past they have made claims which they can't back up when there was no need. There just seems to always be some own goal they score on the top tier launches.

AMD have become Intel from the 4770k/6700k/7700k era.

Marginal generational improvements to keep ahead of the competitor just enough to warrant a new shiny box.

Edit: just realised this was in relation to dGPUs.

Last edited:
i have a rog ally and its been a good experience
i had a vega 64 crossfire setup but it wasnt worth the wait, i bought into the hype and skipped the 1080 ti launch

Last edited:
i have a rog ally and its been a good experience
i had a vega 64 crossfire setup but it wasnt worth the wait, i bought into the hype and skipped the 1080 ti launch
I had both a Vega64 and a 1080Ti and they were both decent cards at the time. One was better than the other though. Although I'm not sure if the Vega64 was ever aimed at beating the 1080Ti but seeing as the 1080Ti had been out for a while by the time the Vega64 released there were obviously going to be comparisons. Vega 64 probably needed to release 6 months earlier.

I voted yes. It's mainly on the top tier cards where this happens. The 7800xt launch was fine and was well recieved but the pricing on the 7900xt at launch was a big failure. To gain share back they need to undercut Nvidia by more than they do and take some pain on the margins. In the past they have made claims which they can't back up when there was no need. There just seems to always be some own goal they score on the top tier launches.

This. So many own goals. It went from being frustrating to just being funny to me.

Right, who voted no? :cry:

Not sure why anyone would bother voting it all as it is a totally waste of time poll. As per my previous comments, people who believe marketing are the issue irrespective of the company doing it, be that AMD, Apple, Intel, Sandals, Kellogg's, or your local corner shop. People need to start learning to understand how bad advertising (marketing) is and do their research, using objective data and facts, not crap supplied by the people or persons who are aiming to gain from the data being provided.

Not sure why anyone would bother voting it all as it is a totally waste of time poll. As per my previous comments, people who believe marketing are the issue irrespective of the company doing it, be that AMD, Apple, Intel, Sandals, Kellogg's, or your local corner shop. People need to start learning to understand how bad advertising (marketing) is and do their research, using objective data and facts, not crap supplied by the people or persons who are aiming to gain from the data being provided.

Would it not be just easier if AMD got it right though? People are not about to change because AMD's marketing department are not up to the job.

Better they price cards competitively from release and avoid own goals.

Amd can create a top spec GPU, but the problem is £££ and market share.

They have themselves decided that Actually just being 2nd fiddle and picking up the scraps is what they're aiming at.

We've been told the 8000 series cards aren't going to have any top tier halo ranges,

The 6000 series of cards was probably the closest they've come to giving Nvidia a headache, but for some reason they cocked up the 7000 series cards, then decided to copy Nvidia and price everything a tier higher than it should have been. If all the cards dropped down a tier as they should have been then actually the 7000 series would probably have taken market share from Nvidia.

However they thought they could make a quick buck and instead turned everyone off them.

They said themselves the 7900xtx would only be able to compete with the 4080 (they were caught out by the 4090), the 7900xtx should always have just been the 7900xt, and the 7900xt should have been the 7800xt, the 7900gre should have been the 7800, the 7800 the 7700xt, and so on so forth, prices accordingly would have smashed it.

I'm pretty certain they've just done a similar thing the the 9000 CPUs, they would probably have been better off canning them and going for a bigger performance jump, or offering them at 7000 prices as a slightly refreshed version, I dunno call it the 7750xt or something, instead they've copied intel and just releasing a chip with barely any performance upgrade. On the plus side does make me feel better having the 7700x and that it's not really obsolete yet.

On the flip side they aren't intel (yet)

Last edited:
Amd can create a top spec GPU, but the problem is £££ and market share.

They have themselves decided that Actually just being 2nd fiddle and picking up the scraps is what they're aiming at.

We've been told the 8000 series cards aren't going to have any top tier halo ranges,

The 6000 series of cards was probably the closest they've come to giving Nvidia a headache, but for some reason they cocked up the 7000 series cards, then decided to copy Nvidia and price everything a tier higher than it should have been. If all the cards dropped down a tier as they should have been then actually the 7000 series would probably have taken market share from Nvidia.

However they thought they could make a quick buck and instead turned everyone off them.

They said themselves the 7900xtx would only be able to compete with the 4080 (they were caught out by the 4090), the 7900xtx should always have just been the 7900xt, and the 7900xt should have been the 7800xt, the 7900gre should have been the 7800, the 7800 the 7700xt, and so on so forth, prices accordingly would have smashed it.

I'm pretty certain they've just done a similar thing the the 9000 CPUs, they would probably have been better off canning them and going for a bigger performance jump, or offering them at 7000 prices as a slightly refreshed version, I dunno call it the 7750xt or something, instead they've copied intel and just releasing a chip with barely any performance upgrade. On the plus side does make me feel better having the 7700x and that it's not really obsolete yet.

On the flip side they aren't intel (yet)
my guess is that nvidia can match amd's performance on a smaller transistor and energy budget. so, as long as both are using tsmc nvidia will have a distinct advantage both in pricing and performance till amd figures out an alternative.. i am basing this observation on the last pure raster gen (10x0 series), after we moved away from raster nvidia has been committing more resources to other functions, so an apples to apples comparison based on the total transistor count is no longer possible

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom