• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Launches Three Kaveri APU SKUs in February 2014 – Feature Set For A10 and A8 APUs Detailed

Soldato
Soldato
OP
Very impressive, will give us an idea how steamroller runs, but to be honest steamroller 8 core or go home :D

I remember Roy Taylor hinting at an sort of extreme APU, highly clocked, compared it to the FX 9590. If it has a decent amount of shaders could be an awesome all in one solution for a lot of people.

I'm sure AMD have non igpu 8 core chips for the Desktop planned, they just don't want to give anything away just yet.

Soldato
OP
we've got another badly executed platform on our hands.

That should be AMD's slogan :D

Kaveri looks decent imo, I like the idea of an all in one system. If Kaveri chips get Mantle and true audio, that's a nice bonus. Hopefully we get some info on desktop Steamroller CPU's next. Although AMD seem to have gotten better at keeping things under NDA.

Soldato
OP
If they were going to produce 8-core and up Steamroller CPUs, you would think they might plan to use them in their server range. Since their server roadmap indicates Piledriver cores for all of 2014, it looks very unlikely that we'll see 8-core steamroller on the desktop, sadly :(

http://www.xbitlabs.com/picture/?src=/images/news/2013-06/amd_opteron_roadmap.png

What about 8 core non igpu parts on the FM2+ platform?

I've seen rumors of 8+ cores and bringing back the 'Phenom' monikor, (Just saying). We really have no idea at this point :p. AMD play their cards close to the chest these days.

Soldato
OP
Note this is the 7850k, an odd position in the normal naming scheme, you'd expect 7800K to sit atop the pile... Is there a 7870 or 7900k?

Very possibly a better APU waiting in the wings to be launched later on. LtMatt's guru 'Roy Taylor' said he was interested in launching a monster APU, likened it to FX 9590 in the CPU space.. Hopefully that means more than higher clock speeds and hot :p. Maybe 6-8 cores on an APU with more SPU's as well...?

Soldato
OP
I'm not sure how it's even a fair comparison to put Haswell against Kaveri in CPU performance terms, like they mention in that article. Kaveri is a about an all in one budget chip. I really hope AMD launch a desktop CPU only (No igp) Steamroller chip with more cores and cache. That at least could potentially compare favorably against the Haswell i5's. Maybe not in raw ipc but overall performance, where extra cores would pull ahead in encoding etc. Very tempted to move to an AMD 8 core setup if AMD do ever release Steamroller CPU for desktop.

Soldato
OP
Yup, I'm putting together a Micro ATX Steambox and HTPC system. When Kaveri's out hopefully it'll have enough grunt to run games at 1080p :)

That'll be a nice build. In terms of bang for buck though, An intel Pentium or maybe an i3 plus that OCUK HD 7850 2GB For £90 would be a better all round system. Wouldn't fit so snuggly in a Micro ATX case though :p

Soldato
OP
We have a 5800K / 8GB / SSD system here, ideal for a budget setup. Thing is as i3 prices come down they are a viable alternative. If Kaveri comes in at the same price point as 5800K/6800K it would be the better option..

Soldato
OP
Those Pentium / i3's shouldn't be underestimated. If you look at the Intel Core i3-3250 for example, it beats the 6800K by about 25% single threaded, and even though it physically only has 2 cores with HF it's still able to keep up in multithreaded progs vs the 6800k http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/441/AMD_A10-Series_A10-6800K_vs_Intel_Core_i3_i3-3250.html. The Haswell Pentium / i3's are even faster.

My boys PC has Intel Pentium G2120 (Ivybridge) and a HD 7950 3GB. It has no problems playing all the latest games at decent settings. Impressive for the low cost of the chip.

If the upcoming Kaveri can match i3 level IPC and have 4 cores, it will be very impressive. I'll be building a few rigs with Kaveri. I hope it's decent.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom