• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Launches Three Kaveri APU SKUs in February 2014 – Feature Set For A10 and A8 APUs Detailed

Caporegime
One for Martini1991:

http://hexus.net/mobile/news/tablets/62473-amds-project-discovery-tablet-images-leaked/

The Mullins powered reference tablet has been revealed.

Some more details about the APU:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7514/amd-2014-mobile-apu-update-beema-and-mullins

Mullins and Beema replace Kabini and Temash.

I'll have to give them a look at, as far as I'm concerned, actually trying to get an AMD X86 tablet is a none starter. AMD need to do something there, even Temash was somewhat lacklustre, came out on the cusp of Baytrail.

I was recently in the tablet market, ended up getting a Surface 2 (Windows RT, Tegra 4, but the build quality and screen at 360 is very good)

Caporegime
One for Martini1991:

http://hexus.net/mobile/news/tablets/62473-amds-project-discovery-tablet-images-leaked/

The Mullins powered reference tablet has been revealed.

Some more details about the APU:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7514/amd-2014-mobile-apu-update-beema-and-mullins

Mullins and Beema replace Kabini and Temash.

Thats looking good for AMD, the 3 - 4w Temash was pretty good, Integer Performance on par with Silvermount at sub 2w, tho a little behind in memory performance, Mullins now also running sub 2w its real competition for Intel. Be interested to see if there is any CPU performance increase to go along with that, iGPU is up 20 to 35% which is impressive.

Caporegime
Thats looking good for AMD, the 3 - 4w Temash was pretty good, Integer Performance on par with Silvermount at sub 2w, tho a little behind in memory performance, Mullins now also running sub 2w its real competition for Intel. Be interested to see if there is any CPU performance increase to go along with that, iGPU is up 20 to 35% which is impressive.

Actually try finding a temash tablet that you can actually buy and get it straight away.

Whereas right now there's baytrail tablets in store for 350 quid.

Temash in tablets was a 1GHZ Dual core, which was faster than C-50, but even clovertrail because of its clock speed advantage was faster in CPU performance, but Clovertrails IGP sucked, and you could have bought a 10" clovertrail tablet for 300 quid.

Baytrail's over twice as fast as clovertrail being a quad core too (Maximum potential performance).

Soldato
Actually try finding a temash tablet that you can actually buy and get it straight away.

Whereas right now there's baytrail tablets in store for 350 quid.

Temash in tablets was a 1GHZ Dual core, which was faster than C-50, but even clovertrail because of its clock speed advantage was faster in CPU performance, but Clovertrails IGP sucked, and you could have bought a 10" clovertrail tablet for 300 quid.

Baytrail's over twice as fast as clovertrail being a quad core too (Maximum potential performance).

Like Intel,AMD is now using SDP too for its tablet CPUs.

However,with Mullins having half the SDP of Temash,we might be seeing quad core AMD tablet SOCs next year. I also expect the IGP to be better - I think even know the AMD tablet SOCs have a better IGP(I could be wrong).

OTH,AMD is also launching ARM based SOCs next year. Those might be very interesting.

Caporegime
Like Intel,AMD is now using SDP too for its tablet CPUs.

However,with Mullins having half the SDP of Temash,we might be seeing quad core AMD tablet SOCs next year. I also expect the IGP to be better - I think even know the AMD tablet SOCs have a better IGP(I could be wrong).

OTH,AMD is also launching ARM based SOCs next year. Those might be very interesting.

Only thing is, any time AMD release anything mobile, it's literally as Intel release something new, and AMD release to compete with Intels prior gen stuff.

People were excited about Temash, and it has absolutely zero impact.

For the IGP, not entirely sure, I know Baytrail's using HD4000, but I think Temash's is still the better IGP, so better hardware acceleration for sure.

CPU performance isn't there though compared to Baytrail.
That said!!! I found a C-50 on Windows 8.1 perfectly adequate.

All I want is a tablet of build quality to rival the Surface, with a 1080p screen and X86 and not cost more than my i3 Ivy Laptop, and thus far? Not happening, so I'm stuck on a Surface 2.

Caporegime
It looks nice, but as always..... Execution is key.

A hand-held with much more GPU grunt than the traditional hand-held and a, what is that? 14" screen and proper controller attachments.

Which doubles up as a tablet :D

One of the complaints about portable gaming in that the screen is just to small, thats very portable but also has a good size screen.

I think if they made that, with the right marketing it would do quite well.

Caporegime
I won't pretend to know the market, but I think you're being far too optimistic :p

What we need for portable gaming is something like an Xperia Z Ultra with cloud gaming, dock and wireless control.

If my Surface 2 did game streaming with steam (Which lets be honest, it has the Tegra 4 like Shield, it should be able to) it'd be awesome.

Last edited:
Soldato
Trinity and Richland could get BF3 single player whipping along at decent settings, and that's a corridor scene with nothing happening. It's just natural progression, AMD have once again slipped on the bleeding obvious banana skin with Kaveri. Unless they have a higher end SKU waiting in the wings and this is a bluff, decidedly meh

e: embedded for the lazies

and another

Note this is the 7850k, an odd position in the normal naming scheme, you'd expect 7800K to sit atop the pile... Is there a 7870 or 7900k?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Note this is the 7850k, an odd position in the normal naming scheme, you'd expect 7800K to sit atop the pile... Is there a 7870 or 7900k?

Very possibly a better APU waiting in the wings to be launched later on. LtMatt's guru 'Roy Taylor' said he was interested in launching a monster APU, likened it to FX 9590 in the CPU space.. Hopefully that means more than higher clock speeds and hot :p. Maybe 6-8 cores on an APU with more SPU's as well...?

Soldato
Very possibly a better APU waiting in the wings to be launched later on. LtMatt's guru 'Roy Taylor' said he was interested in launching a monster APU, likened it to FX 9590 in the CPU space.. Hopefully that means more than higher clock speeds and hot :p. Maybe 6-8 cores on an APU with more SPU's as well...?

Trouble is, FM2+ boards are not specified for that kind of power draw :p Let alone memory bandwidth (likely why GPU clock is so meh in Kaveri)

Caporegime
Trouble is, FM2+ boards are not specified for that kind of power draw :p Let alone memory bandwidth (likely why GPU clock is so meh in Kaveri)

FM2++ is, yeah, I made that one up.

A specification is just that, make a board with X spec's and it will run X cpu. Doesn't mean they can't tell mobo makes to make a FM2+ that has 50amps extra power delivery and release a new CPU. Though generally it's the validation time of these things to do it right.

There isn't a particular reason that Kaveri works on FM2+, it's just a form factor they've put the CPU on, nothing to stop them releasing a bigger gpu or more cores in it and releasing an AM3+ version.

One more obvious suggestion is that more than 2 Kaveri modules and a gpu is simply too starved of bandwidth and in need of ddr4. Intel have been pushing platforms back as DDR4 delays occur. You have to get lucky, even if you're Intel, to have the right memory, process and architecture all line up perfectly. it happened significantly more often in the past as process changes were far far more predictable/easy/on time.

The other possibility is with Kaveri + HSA(HQ and hUMA) + Mantle that we won't have a game for 2 years that is cpu limited even in 2+ gpu setups.

The main reason the GPU clock seems low is likely power. If you compare 35W mobile versions of Richland, to desktop 65W to desktop 100W. In a huge number of situations a 100W richland was offering either identical or within 5% performance of the 65W model, while using 35-50W more.... The biggest reason it looks poor compared to a Ivy or Haswell in benchmarks is in the power/performance stakes which OEM's care about a lot more, as do many others. Had Richland been released with the 65W chip as the top model, gaming would have had basically identical benchmarks, many tasks would have been within 2-3% performance, a couple things like single threaded Cinebench would have looked closer to 15% worse, but who honestly gives a crap about cinebench. But by releasing it as 65W only, it would suddenly "appear" 30-40% more power efficient.

Ultimately the 100W and even the newer 200W models only made them look bad. Thing is that 65W version can overclock to identical levels the 100W chip can. Enthusiast reviews get overclocked results, you will see final performance anyway. But in stock, non enthusiast reviews, it's suddenly power competitive with Intel, and cheaper to validate, and cheaper for OEM's to cool, using cheaper PSU's, mobo's. All for a real world performance loss off a few percent.

We all know that a overclocked Intel chip can draw well over 150W as well, and they can EASILY launch a 100W, or a 150W model, but it will look bad as power efficiency tanks after a certain clock speed/voltage. They release at 70-80W for a reason, that is the optimum performance level vs power. It's absolutely sensible for AMD to target the same ballpark power level because for 90% of sales to non enthusiasts it looks a much better chip at 65-75W than 100W, enthusiasts only care about overclocked performance anyway, which will be like Intel well beyond the stock 100W tdp....

My guess is Kaveri is simply launching in a lower TDP bracket than Richland/Trinity hit for the reasons above.

Last edited:
Soldato
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axyHkKn_e80

Look at the gains from lowering to 1680x1050, and then 1280 x 720,
Thats not a full proper map loaded but neverless it just proves what I said a long time ago, That Kaveri will absolutely shine at 1360x768, provide good 1680x1050 performance,but will struggle at 1080p, so any more cu's would be wasted with the memory bandwidth of shared ddr3.
Kaveri seriously needs memory bandwidth, it needs 100gb/s and it would suffice for 1080p

Back
Top Bottom