• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD prepares 12 core 24 Thread 5.1Ghz Mainstream CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
AMD is preparing for a big CPU launch in early 2018 with an event being held before CES 2018 in the first week of January where we'll see the company detail Ryzen Mobile (which has already launched). But it looks like we might see the tease of the company's next-gen Ryzen 2 family of CPUs.

Read more:

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/60100/amds-new-ryzen-7-2800x-teased-12c-24t-up-5-1ghz/index.html

I don't care about the insane amount of cores, although that is awesome its the clock speeds that i'm interested in, no doubt the IPC will also be a little higher so for the money something like the Ryzen 2600 will be an 8700K killer.

Nice :)

Wa06s_Ip.jpg

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Ryzen clock speed was held back by the processing node, not the architecture... as the slide below shows.

There is no reason why Ryzen 2 cannot clock 'like anyother CPU' IE 4.5Ghz to 5Ghz single core boost / all core overclock.

This is not the first time we have seen rumours that AMD are moving to a 6 core CCX, CanardPC got wind of a 48 core EPYC 2 and they are yet to be wrong on anything AMD, they were the ones who correctly predicted everything about Ryzen and all past AMD CPU's right back to the AthlonXP.

There is nothing unusual about 4.5Ghz all core clocks and 5Ghz overclocks, Intel's 10 core + CPU don't go to 5Ghz purely because they are very power hungry CPU's, far more power hungry than AMD's old FX CPU's, Ryzen 1 is already more efficient than SkyLake-X.

On the right the 7nm Node, not relevent here, but on the left AMD's current Ryzen 1 14nm LPP (3Ghz)

This one, i do believe it because its nothing out of the ordinary, Ryzen 1 is just very hampered.

IAVrGmq.png

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Are you not in the slightest bit skeptical about this? A 24 thread, 5ghz cpu for ~£300 in two months time?

I always have some doubts but in this case there is nothing out of the ordinary, Ryzen 1 was held back by a 3Ghz processing node, they are moving to a new node with this and 4.5Ghz all cores is not fantastical, i have seen 16 core 1950X's clock as high as 4.2Ghz, again the 1950X like all ZEN 1 CPU's is on a 3Ghz node, 4.5Ghz for a refined 12 core on an 'in-line with mainstream' node is almost inevitable, 5Ghz low core boosts / all core overclocks, yeah i think that's possible.

Having said that my rebuttal to Gavin is nothing to do with any of that ^^^^ its about his petulant reaction to this thread.

Caporegime
OP
I always have some doubts but in this case there is nothing out of the ordinary, Ryzen 1 was held back by a 3Ghz processing node, they are moving to a new node with this and 4.5Ghz all cores is not fantastical, i have seen 16 core 1950X's clock as high as 4.2Ghz, again the 1950X like all ZEN 1 CPU's is on a 3Ghz node, 4.5Ghz for a refined 12 core on an 'in-line with mainstream' node is almost inevitable, 5Ghz low core boosts / all core overclocks, yeah i think that's possible.

Having said that my rebuttal to Gavin is nothing to do with any of that ^^^^ its about his petulant reaction to this thread.

BTW, its also almost inevitable that AMD will be moving to a 6 core CCX, i mean that's the obvious next step and with the die shrink to 12nm why the hell not?

Caporegime
OP
You said a few weeks ago:

I assumed like you do that AMD's next top end mainstream CPU would be another 8 core, with the 48 core Starship being on AMD's official slides i'm far from sure about that now, in fact i'm sure its not.

Thats not to say i now believe that video, tho i am less sure about its falseness.

Caporegime
OP
The road map from the link you posted is very old and dated Feb 2016. I'm not saying that what is on their is not true, but I think the release dates might be slightly off or potentially things might have been pushed back a bit since then.

Its age has no bearing on the validity of a 6 core CCX, these things are designed and planned years in advance, 2016 is less than two years ago.

Tho Starship was intended for 7nm, that has been pushed back and instead what was to be a Zen refresh on 14nm FinFet+ is now 12nm, i believe what was intended on the now delayed 7nm is instead coming on 12nm.

14nm+ never happend, Zen+ will never happen, instead its straight to Zen 2

Caporegime
OP
I think an optimistic 15% uplift in clocks is possible, perhaps 10% IPC in certain scenarios from tweaks to Infinity Fabric. Ryzen is definitely limited by the 14mn process it's built on, it's clear from the 4.2GHz wall on even the best examples.

That would actually be pretty bloody good, the IPC difference between Coffeelake and Zen1 is less than 10%.

Edit: actually because AMD's SMT is better the IPC difference in fully MT tasks is 0, its only in single threaded tasks that Zen1 falls about 5 to 8% behind.

Caporegime
OP
With Zen1 being a brand new architecture and on a 3Ghz process node i do think there is significant room for improvement, where AMD lacks most is not IPC, as i said its a bit behind in low threaded tasks, its not a lot; its actually clock speeds, Intel are a full Ghz ahead in clock speed, that combined with the 5% or so low threading IPC difference is what puts Intel that 20% ahead in most games at 1080P or lower.

Low hanging fruit should get them a 5% IPC gain and on a proper processing node clocks should also be normalised with industry standard, 4.3 to 4.5Ghz on all cores out of the box and 4.7Ghz to 5Ghz overclocks would put the 1600X replacement just about on par with the 8700K, probably beat it in MT Cinebench.

And yes i think AMD did remarkably well to come from nowhere and get this close to Intel's best with the first iteration of the new architecture, Intel have been working on the Core architecture for a decade.

I'm looking forward to Zen2, hopefully early next year so i can swap my i5 out for one sooner rather than later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom