• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD prepares 12 core 24 Thread 5.1Ghz Mainstream CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
OP
Are you not in the slightest bit skeptical about this? A 24 thread, 5ghz cpu for ~£300 in two months time?

I always have some doubts but in this case there is nothing out of the ordinary, Ryzen 1 was held back by a 3Ghz processing node, they are moving to a new node with this and 4.5Ghz all cores is not fantastical, i have seen 16 core 1950X's clock as high as 4.2Ghz, again the 1950X like all ZEN 1 CPU's is on a 3Ghz node, 4.5Ghz for a refined 12 core on an 'in-line with mainstream' node is almost inevitable, 5Ghz low core boosts / all core overclocks, yeah i think that's possible.

Having said that my rebuttal to Gavin is nothing to do with any of that ^^^^ its about his petulant reaction to this thread.

Caporegime
OP
I always have some doubts but in this case there is nothing out of the ordinary, Ryzen 1 was held back by a 3Ghz processing node, they are moving to a new node with this and 4.5Ghz all cores is not fantastical, i have seen 16 core 1950X's clock as high as 4.2Ghz, again the 1950X like all ZEN 1 CPU's is on a 3Ghz node, 4.5Ghz for a refined 12 core on an 'in-line with mainstream' node is almost inevitable, 5Ghz low core boosts / all core overclocks, yeah i think that's possible.

Having said that my rebuttal to Gavin is nothing to do with any of that ^^^^ its about his petulant reaction to this thread.

BTW, its also almost inevitable that AMD will be moving to a 6 core CCX, i mean that's the obvious next step and with the die shrink to 12nm why the hell not?

Soldato
You can't argue logic while posting a fake slide.

AMD doesn't say "Ryzen 2", they say "Zen 2" and that in 2019.

2018 is meant to be tweaking not rebuilding.

Someones pulled it out their ass after baking it in there.

Caporegime

You said a few weeks ago:

I don't believe the video, its suspicious that there are two of them and none are 8 core 16 Thread, if you're going to leak why not the top of the range 8 core? why the middle 6 core? I wouldn't be surprised if its the 8700K on LN2.

I don't know what Ryzen 2 / Ryzen + will end up being but its not the 5Ghz 7nm that some people seem to think it is, that comes later... this is Globalfoundries 12nm, what was originally meant to be 14nm FinFet+ (IE Ryzen+) but is now plain 12nm FinFet, which has a 15% increase in circuit density and 'over 10%' improvement in performance, what AMD might do with an extra 15% die space 'if anything' is anyone's guess but comparing at least 10% performance improvement is an easy one, Current Ryzen runs at 3.6Ghz base clock with a 4.1Ghz XFR, so that should turn into 4Ghz all cores and perhaps as high as 4.5 or 4.6Ghz XFR. XFR = single core boost.

With some 'low hanging fruit' tweaks i don't see why AMD couldn't also get another 5% IPC gains, i think that's extremely likely especially given that Infinity Fabric in Ryzen 1 is the first iteration and in its infancy. that would bring the Ryzen 5 2600X inline with Coffeelake 8700K, the Ryzen 7 2800X would be that much faster.

Using that 15% extra die space for a larger L3 cache could also increase the IPC some more.

IMO AMD are going to be very competitive during 2018, Intel have shown thier hand and its just another Skylake with higher clocks and two extra cores, AMD can deal with that and i think they will starting early 2018 :)

Caporegime
OP
You said a few weeks ago:

I assumed like you do that AMD's next top end mainstream CPU would be another 8 core, with the 48 core Starship being on AMD's official slides i'm far from sure about that now, in fact i'm sure its not.

Thats not to say i now believe that video, tho i am less sure about its falseness.

Caporegime
I assumed like you do that AMD's next top end mainstream CPU would be another 8 core, with the 48 core Starship being on AMD's official slides i'm far from sure about that now, in fact i'm sure its not.

Thats not to say i now believe that video, tho i am less sure about its falseness.

The road map from the link you posted is very old and dated Feb 2016. I'm not saying that what is on their is not true, but I think the release dates might be slightly off or potentially things might have been pushed back a bit since then.

Caporegime
OP
The road map from the link you posted is very old and dated Feb 2016. I'm not saying that what is on their is not true, but I think the release dates might be slightly off or potentially things might have been pushed back a bit since then.

Its age has no bearing on the validity of a 6 core CCX, these things are designed and planned years in advance, 2016 is less than two years ago.

Tho Starship was intended for 7nm, that has been pushed back and instead what was to be a Zen refresh on 14nm FinFet+ is now 12nm, i believe what was intended on the now delayed 7nm is instead coming on 12nm.

14nm+ never happend, Zen+ will never happen, instead its straight to Zen 2

Permabanned
Why is this only gaining traction now? That slide has been doing the rounds for months now.

Someone else said it's been around for months have you a source please
Highly doubtful they will increase core count AND frequency at the same price as previous tiers, especially as that 12/24 rumoured chip would beast their Threadripper.

I expect as many do 8/16 still on a refresh to hit a base clock of 4.1 or so and OC to around 4.6, and to be perfectly honest that's all they need to hit imho, that extra .5 or .6 GHz will make a world of difference.
We discussed it a month ago in the Ryzen thread!

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/31322273/

The fact that it's not new makes say's it all, Thankyou for the link.

Soldato
Is this confirmed as legit? If so thats insane. I'll pre-order in a heartbeat.
Same here, I genuinely would. But Ryzen 1 whilst far better than AMD’s previous offerings didn’t match up to even the Intel quad cores in gaming and has now been pushed even further back by 8700k.

Soldato
Same here, I genuinely would. But Ryzen 1 whilst far better than AMD’s previous offerings didn’t match up to even the Intel quad cores in gaming and has now been pushed even further back by 8700k.

Being fair though, it's cheaper core for core and the clocks are some way off. Does have some advantages in streaming plus various workloads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom