** AMD R290X NOW AVAILABLE & OVERCLOCKING REVIEW!! **

OcUK Staff
OP
**UNDER-VOLTING**

Guys it seems the current drivers / BIOS have protection built in so the card won't allow you to under-volt it by any usable amount unfortunately.

Anything below 1225mv seems to trigger protection meaning it won't load to windows desktop until you do a full power off and on.

However going from 1250mv down to 1225mv has reduced temperature by 5c under-load with no ill-effect on stability at stock speeds with the card still set at +50 power with 1000Mhz core speed always.

If this protection gets removed by later drivers/BIOS the card in theory should be able to run fine around 1150-1200mv which should be good for a good 10c+ reduction in temps over stock. Seems you can get them to run pretty cool.

Infact its turning out to be quite a fun card for the tweaker/overclocker. :)

Associate
There is a price mis-match on page 1 for the oclabs mk26 variant Gibbo.. if only it WAS £505 :p

Though I'm hoping your non-x can compete with an oc'd 780, and also be fitted with similar after-market cooler :cool:

Soldato
The Techlabs 290x now says ETA: 15/11/13, where as before it was just on pre-order.

Is that the ETA for all Techlab 290x 's including the first handful that were ordered?

Or

Is it the ETA only for any cards that will be processed from now on due to stock not being able to accommodate orders or not enough manpower to fit and test all these Techlab pre-fitted cards?

Last edited:
Associate
How loud are they?

And none in stock :(

I find it's actually quieter than my old 5870. It ramps up slowly while playing then drops back down quickly when I stop..

With the fan at full whack it's quite a bit louder than the 5870, but the default settings are WAAYYY below that!

Soldato
I find it's actually quieter than my old 5870. It ramps up slowly while playing then drops back down quickly when I stop..

With the fan at full whack it's quite a bit louder than the 5870, but the default settings are WAAYYY below that!

The 5850/70's fans were quite loud. My wife used to complain about it. The 480 fan was actually much quieter (maybe I got a later version 480?)

Permabanned
So I am looking to change from SLI hassles and go back to single core. Assuming I get around £750 for my 690, would it be a good idea to buy this or a titan?

I like the idea of Mantle: it means I don't need to upgrade to Win8 to get BF4 to actually run properly as I won't be using the latest, Win8 only directX ?

Soldato
This or a 780 (or perhaps 780Ti when it's out), not a Titan.
You may want to wait for the 3rd party coolers to be released if you want a 290/290X though.

BF4 will run fine on Win7 too, it's just that it'll run a bit better on Win8.

Back
Top Bottom