• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD RX6000 series cracked dies and blown voltage rails after December driver update?

Soldato
Does anyone here have this issue?

A German repair shop says they've in the last couple weeks received 61 RX6000 GPUs for repair and all of them had blown voltage rails or cracks in the GPU die. Users claim they were gaming, idle or watching YouTube when it died, all cards seem to be using the latest December 2022 drivers

Last edited:
Soldato
Why would dies crack after a software update? The PCBs have voltage overprotection and overvoltage would burn the die. Cracked dies sound like too much pressure when installing custom cooling and not using a shim,so wonder how many of these are custom cooled cards? Seems a really weird failure mode!

Last edited:
Soldato
Ex-mining cards maybe? Driver is just a coincidence as most people upgrade?

But for that many cards with the same failure within the space of a month? Hell of a coincidence if true.

Still on August drivers with my 6800 - will most likely avoid the December version for now, but keeping an eye on this.

Caporegime
If this was an Nvidia fault it would be up to page 20 by now. Just saying…
Quoted for truth
:cry:

Nvidia issues:

RURE1W0.png

AMD issues:

DrR2vEv.png

:D

Quoting this for truth here too...... had this been nvidia, would have been on page 50 by now :p :D :cry:

I wasn't aware of this guy but according to reddit, seems pretty reputable source?

Just in case you haven't heard of KrisFix and are questioning his expertise or motives:
He has been repairing a lot of GPUs on a very high level for a number of years so he knows what he is talking about. Just look at the videos on his channel, they speak for themself
Example:
Here he is reballing a 3090 chip + ram because the card was drenched in liquid metal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nQCj5N9fV8 (skip to the last third of the video to see the soldering)
He is not some random small hobby Youtuber trying to create drama for views.
If he says "I see a pattern here" then people should certainly pay attention to what he is saying

Associate
Yeah slight concern as an owner of a 6800, drivers have been rock solid for me for the last 3 weeks so not sure what to do, may rollback later as a precaution.

Associate
Hmm, this is concerning as I did notice much higher temperatures in Insurgency Sandstorm when I played recently. Prior to that I hadn't played it in a good few months. They were still within spec but I think I'll revert to older ones as a precaution.

Back
Top Bottom