• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD RX6000 series cracked dies and blown voltage rails after December driver update?

Soldato
Associate
been using a gigabyte 6800xt for 5-6 months with an ek waterblock and backplate. It hasnt skipped a beat and been a great card replaced a 1080ti & a 5700xt with them and think its been a great upgrade i dont care for RT. And wont pay nvidias asking price no more

Last edited:
Caporegime
What with vapour chambers - seems the fine wine, is 'corked'.

Who's to say it's anything to do with vapour chambers? The 6000 series launched over 2 years ago and only now 1 random store in Germany has had a chunk of them coming in with the same issue. The only connection being they all claim to be using the December driver, shouldn't be that hard for people that know how to analyse the driver and see if some sort of voltage protection was turned off that led to this.

Soldato
Who's to say it's anything to do with vapour chambers? The 6000 series launched over 2 years ago and only now 1 random store in Germany has had a chunk of them coming in with the same issue. The only connection being they all claim to be using the December driver, shouldn't be that hard for people that know how to analyse the driver and see if some sort of voltage protection was turned off that led to this.

I was meaning what with the 7000 series vapour chambers atop this issue. I thought many of this actual issue from that store had seen heat gun use? Was just yankin the chain of those who always mention fine wine, not this issue in particular. Feel sorry for those folk if a driver is found to actually ruin hardware, a BIOS I could understand.

Caporegime
I was meaning what with the 7000 series vapour chambers atop this issue. I thought many of this actual issue from that store had seen heat gun use? Was just yankin the chain of those who always mention fine wine, not this issue in particular. Feel sorry for those folk if a driver is found to actually ruin hardware, a BIOS I could understand.

A driver can easily damage hardware, as pointed out in the thread earlier nvidia released a driver that fried some gpu's.

As for these 6000 series cards, the whole story seems very suspect, all these cards limited to one country and one store 2+ years after they first released, plus potential signs of heatgun usage on the cards. To say it seems suss is a massive understatement.

Soldato
OP
Seems like a logical explanation.

It no longer works, if you try to download that driver now it will not install if you don't have a rx7000 GPU in your system. But perhaps for a very short period, like maybe one day or few hours the driver file on there did not have this hardware check and people were able to install RDNA3 drivers to control their rdna2 GPU and now AMD has replaced the file

Drivers have killed GPUs before, ask Nvidia. And even windows apps have killed GPUs before

Last edited:
Caporegime
It no longer works, if you try to download that driver now it will not install if you don't have a rx7000 GPU in your system. But perhaps for a very short period, like maybe one day or few hours the driver file on there did not have this hardware check and people were able to install RDNA3 drivers to control their rdna2 GPU and now AMD has replaced the file

Drivers have killed GPUs before, ask Nvidia. And even windows apps have killed GPUs before

Don't forget games = new world

Associate
No we don't known
We sure a driver can cause the gpu to crack? I know it could possibly cause it to fail, but to crack and split open? How would that even work isn't the 6900xt close to the 7900xtx tdp? Could the power delivery be that different?

Soldato
We sure a driver can cause the gpu to crack? I know it could possibly cause it to fail, but to crack and split open? How would that even work isn't the 6900xt close to the 7900xtx tdp? Could the power delivery be that different?

Yes it can as the driver may have errors in it and cause the core voltages to rise and cause such damage and we have seen this many times over the decades with hardware where drivers or certain software can damage hardware, there was even viruses,worms and trojans that do this.

Anyone remember stuxnet ? a virus designed to target and damage hardware.

Many more examples out there for many types of hardware. Also companies have damaged their own hardware many times with bad firmware, drivers updates etc.. Nothing new really.

Back
Top Bottom