• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD RX6000 series cracked dies and blown voltage rails after December driver update?

Caporegime
Pretty friggin obvious it was something dodgy otherwise we would have hundred if not thousands of posts all over the show complaining about dead cards. That is unless some people think that the only people that upgraded to the December driver were 61 people in Germany all running 6000 series cards....but let's not let common sense get in the way of forum drama, especially in this subsection...

Soldato
OP
Why is mining cracking amd GPUs and not Nvidia though

Does that mean no one should ever buy 2nd hand amd GPU anymore due to cracking risk? Blaming this on mining is a easy answer to a question but it creates another bigger question; which means it's not safe to buy 2nd hand AMD GPUs

Last edited:
Soldato

Does that mean no one should ever buy 2nd hand amd GPU anymore due to cracking risk? Blaming this on mining is a easy answer to a question but it creates another bigger question; which means it's not safe to buy 2nd hand AMD GPUs

you mean a person removes the cooler to reflow the card and over tightens it then flogs it on? But thats AMD fault? Right? RIGHT?

Caporegime

Good point especially since after all "nvidia only sold their gpus direct to miners", surely we would also be seeing such issues with ampere stock, especially given how ampere dwarfs rdna 2 i.e. larger user base and thus more likely to be seeing more reports here.....

Etb2SPO.png

Maybe nvidia gpus are just built better? :p

Last edited:
Soldato
Good point especially since after all "nvidia only sold their gpus direct to miners"

;)

Does make you wonder given that rdna 2 isn't in very many systems when compared to ampere:

Etb2SPO.png

Short answer is No. Longer answer is they are from 1 miner who offloaded them through a selling page, after taking them apart and making mistakes when rebuilding. Its 1 shop in 1 town in Germany. If it was an actual problem, like the RTX 4090 catching fire, it would be global. But its not.

html photo size

Soldato
Nothing like a bit of click bait to bring out the usual anti-AMD comments and jibes to the thread. Still wonder why certain one or two people who have no interest in AMD keep posting in AMD threads. This has also been posted in AMD driver thread and 6900xt owners thread and I think most agree, there is something more going on here. I also thought ex mining cards too. I've been on latest drivers for over 2 months. No problems. Sorry NVIDIA peeps. Move along. Somewhere, a 4070ti needs cuddling. :)

Associate
Yes all seems fine here as well. Was going to roll back but honestly not seen temps above 70 on junction and 58 on GPU when gaming the left few nights. All looks and sounds fine. Will leave as is.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Good point especially since after all "nvidia only sold their gpus direct to miners", surely we would also be seeing such issues with ampere stock, especially given how ampere dwarfs rdna 2 i.e. larger user base and thus more likely to be seeing more reports here.....

Etb2SPO.png

Maybe nvidia gpus are just built better? :p

Or maybe usage of the heat gun caused the die to crack? Mind boggling i know..

Caporegime
think there's a bit of scaremongering going on

new driver, potentially on a card that that's being mined on 24/7 = damage

still waiting for AMD to release a statement

Why would they need to release a statement? Its very unlikely amd even has any of these in hand to see what the supposed "issue" was, but the tweets pretty much spell it out, they were mined on, some seemingly went bad, and a few of them had signs of a botched reflow attempt with a heat gun. It's a total non story being whipped up by sad people with far too much time on their hands.

Its virtually impossible for this to be some kind of driver issue given the facts at hand, its 61 cards in Germany that have been affected. If it were a driver issue wouldn't you think there would be hundreds if not thousands of 6000 series cards suddenly dying all over the shop as there would be no real reason as to why some on the December driver would die and others wouldn't. But no, some people still push the driver theory, apparently Germany got a special suicide driver that nobody else on the planet got.

Soldato
He's a week late jumping on this non story.
Yup and I'm just watching this video and he clearly doesn't understand what drivers also can do.. Seems like a video made for his ad-revenue, 2 adverts in the video and the youtube ads... geeze really.. Times I wonder about him, but understand he has to do some videos as he has a family to support but a lot of it is just waffling to kill time and to actually have a video and not a youtube short... :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom