• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Processor to a AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D

Associate
Is AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Processor to a AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D a big jump or waste of money ?? card i use is a RTX3070 as would like to future proof my pc a bit more as i love my ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero board so much ...

Associate
Need more information about the resolution and refresh rate you're trying to drive.

A trend I've noticed is that this forum seems to attract 5800X3D fan boys. I had a similar dilemma on my mind (maximising AM4) but was convinced to drop that BS down to a 5700X thanks to one person talking sense:

I stand by that wisdom to this day, thank you @Tetras

We're now living in a world where, when things get CPU-limited, even the 7800X3D can't hit 60 fps.

When stressed in these situations, a 5800X3D is unlikely to hit 60 fps either, and in fact will likely be offering the exact same performance as a 5700X.

Deal with that 3070 first, then decide if you need to mess with your processor.

Soldato
There are benefits to the X3D besides max FPS, ask anyone who has used one. A generally smoother, snappier experience even on the desktop and improved minimums. Nothing fan boy about it at all just real world experience.

Associate
Nothing fan boy at all lol when i upgraded to the 5800x3d i was using a 3060ti and a 3800x, the 3800x was even holding back the 3060ti in most games and i didnt realise, after the upgrade of cpu my fps shot up massively using the same card and the smoothness of every game improved also.

Honestly, upgrading the cpu is one of the best things i have done to my pc, the 5800x3d is awesome and the only reason why people that have it are praising it is, because we have seen such great improvement after installing it.

Its the best upgrade to do to the AM4 platform by miles!

Soldato
Need more information about the resolution and refresh rate you're trying to drive.

A trend I've noticed is that this forum seems to attract 5800X3D fan boys. I had a similar dilemma on my mind (maximising AM4) but was convinced to drop that BS down to a 5700X thanks to one person talking sense:

We're now living in a world where, when things get CPU-limited, even the 7800X3D can't hit 60 fps.

When stressed in these situations, a 5800X3D is unlikely to hit 60 fps either, and in fact will likely be offering the exact same performance as a 5700X.

Deal with that 3070 first, then decide if you need to mess with your processor.
Please refrain from commenting unless you have actually done the move yourself.

There have been more than a few people that have made the move and have expressed there opinions here to which i personally agree too.

Man of Honour

Thanks! It is an easier argument to make with Zen/Zen+ and a limited GPU budget (and especially playing at higher resolutions), that a 5600/5700X is the best move.

From a 3700X, a 5600/5700X is less of a jump and with no mention of a GPU budget, I'm less inclined to argue against it, hence I stayed out of this thread :D

Associate
To be honest I forgot about 1% lows on account of it being a long time since I've noticed any drop in my games. The only recent ones I've played are Cyberpunk 2077 and Last of Us Part I, and they've been silky smooth.

With my Ryzen 2700 I could have large drop offs that stayed dropped off; going in to the most crowded areas on Cyberpunk could become very CPU limited to like 40 fps on medium crowd density, with my old 5700 XT dropping to like 80% utilization. Upgrading to a Ryzen 5700X solved that - got the crowd density on high now and think I'm always GPU-bound even on a 7900 XT.

The way many of you feel about the 5800X3D is the way I feel about the 5700X.

Those who are noticing something about desktop performance being improved on a 5800X3D I really can't relate to. I've noticed no difference between an FX-8350, Ryzen 2700, and Ryzen 5700X. So long as you have an SSD and reasonably clean OS (Windows 10 is considerably faster than Windows 11 in desktop performance apparently) everything should be silky and responsive even with a potato processor.

Last edited:
Soldato
To be honest I forgot about 1% lows on account of it being a long time since I've noticed any drop in my games. The only recent ones I've played are Cyberpunk 2077 and Last of Us Part I, and they've been silky smooth.

With my Ryzen 2700 I could have large drop offs that stayed dropped off; going in to the most crowded areas on Cyberpunk could become very CPU limited to like 40 fps on medium crowd density, with my old 5700 XT dropping to like 80% utilization. Upgrading to a Ryzen 5700X solved that - got the crowd density on high now and think I'm always GPU-bound even on a 7900 XT.

The way many of you feel about the 5800X3D is the way I feel about the 5700X.

Those who are noticing something about desktop performance being improved on a 5800X3D I really can't relate to. I've noticed no difference between an FX-8350, Ryzen 2700, and Ryzen 5700X. So long as you have an SSD and reasonably clean OS (Windows 10 is considerably faster than Windows 11 in desktop performance apparently) everything should be silky and responsive even with a potato processor.
Funnily enough I find Windows 11 to be very quick. I'm sure there is plenty about it to annoy a lot of users but I've not found it to be slow(er).

Soldato
Still being on Windows 10 personally, I go by this:

I see it was an upgrade of W10 to W11 (00:59) rather than a fresh install of W11, could be an issue. I'm running on a 7600, 32GB DDR5 6000 so that will be different from a 10850K. I like Bryan but I wouldn't use him for a benchmark reference. I held of W11 for ages after hearing talk about it but I prefer it now I've tried it YMMV

Associate
I see it was an upgrade of W10 to W11 (00:59) rather than a fresh install of W11, could be an issue. I'm running on a 7600, 32GB DDR5 6000 so that will be different from a 10850K. I like Bryan but I wouldn't use him for a benchmark reference. I held of W11 for ages after hearing talk about it but I prefer it now I've tried it YMMV
Fair dos.

Personally I doubt there'd be any serious performance difference (especially in desktop use) unless I downgraded to Windows Vista :cry:

Hoping Windows 11 will solve some controller issues I can't seem to sort in Windows 10. But as I had other compatibility issues in Windows 7 that were replicated exactly when I upgraded to Windows 10, I suspect there's even less chance Windows 11 will help this time.

Back
Top Bottom