• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD ThreadRipper ***

Soldato
Thank you. :)

Sorry Matt, I couldn't see anything of the sort either. I went through every single page and sub-menu step by step, and I definitely can't see it. While I run default power and clocks, I do have things like SME, SVM, NX and IOMMU enabled so I'm no stranger to poking around the UEFI. I didn't have time to take snaps of everything tonight but I am happy to another day (possibly tomorrow) if you're desperate. What is it you need it for, out of interest? Are you considering the board? I'm not deeply unhappy with it or anything but I'm seriously weighing up swapping to the Asrock Rack trx40d8-2n2t, which tbh I'd have bought in the first place if I knew about it. As it is, it may well be worth me saving the expenditure and cutting my losses and upgrading to Epyc Milan instead.

Caporegime
Sorry for not getting back to you @LtMatt , been a hectic month. Rainmaker seems to have corroborated what I found. For your own peace of mind, I did get some shots of the bios screens, just didn't upload them: https://imgur.com/a/rFUYnpg.

@Rainmaker if you're considering that board, are you not the target market for Threadripper Pro?
Thanks for the screenshots. So there is no option for Power Supply Idle Control?

Soldato
@Rainmaker if you're considering that board, are you not the target market for Threadripper Pro?

Yeah quite possibly, but they obviously weren't out when I bought the 3960X and the new Milan Epyc CPUs (the P SKU especially) with lower TDP but good core count and throughput are appealing. We'll see. This is only for home/hobbyist use, but I'm pretty opposite to the demographic on this forum (as are many in the TR thread I suppose). I care about BSD/Linux, virtualisation, IOMMU, networking and PICe bandwidth not FPS. The only thing I need a gfx card for is to transcode media for my Plex server. :D

Either way I'd have jumped at the Asrock Rack motherboard had it been available at the time, as it has 2x 10Gb LAN, IPMI, proper ECC support, passive VRM and chipset cooling, and it's only the same cost as the Asus board we both have if you shop around... As I said likely better to just cut the losses now and wait until the next major upgrade rather than mess around swapping parts now.

Thanks for the screenshots. So there is no option for Power Supply Idle Control?

As tommo said, and as per my post last night, it seems definitely absent. I had another poke around after my post and I can't see it anywhere else (power control, overclocking options etc) either.

Back
Top Bottom