AMD to power new Steam Handheld Device

Soldato
It's a great idea in theory: a handheld device running SteamOS, which can play Steam games on the run. Whether it works or not is another thing, and the Smach Zero – formerly known as the Steamboy – isn't due to release until late next year, so we've got a while to wait.
The specs are decent for a machine of this size: it boasts 4GB RAM, 32GB internal storage, a 720p touch screen and HDMI output. According to a press release published earlier this year, it'll carry an "AMD embedded G-Series SoC 'Steppe Eagle' with Jaguar-based CPU and GCN-based Radeon graphics".There's naturally going to be a tonne of games in your library that won't be compatible with the Smach Zero, but according to the promotional video embedded below it will play "1000+" games, with presumably more to come.
There's not much more info at present. The units are scheduled to ship in Q4 2016, and the price is €299 in Europe, and $299 in North America if you preorder from November 10.

What do you guys think? Would a SteamOS handheld be your thing? I do like handheld device only problem I never buy them based on the fact I never have enough time for them. If I play a game on the go it will be for couple mins and a basic mobile game..

Caporegime
I doubt it will be hugely popular, but a PS Vita stile Handheld Gaming device that can go online for MP Team Fortress 2 and the like would probably sell quite well.

With 3G / 4G and Wifi on public transport, yeah why not.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
You're not going to get much native PC gaming done on that SOC and device set up.

After wait and see! 720p dont take much these days. A lower Graphic Profile for some games I think you be surprised on what this might be able to run.

Anyway I think the main feature for this is streaming from PC to Device on the go?

I'd bet that this will be used as a portable streaming device in the main, with a limited catalogue of less-demanding games as a backup. It's a bit "meh" for me, I mean why bother with yet another means to get your games. If you desperately want to play on the move fire up Steam and a VPN on a laptop.

On a more positive note this seems to suggest that Steam is being developed for mobile platforms.

Soldato
OP
I'd bet that this will be used as a portable streaming device in the main, with a limited catalogue of less-demanding games as a backup. It's a bit "meh" for me, I mean why bother with yet another means to get your games. If you desperately want to play on the move fire up Steam and a VPN on a laptop.

On a more positive note this seems to suggest that Steam is being developed for mobile platforms.

How good would it be that the steam app on Android, not sure if it's on IOS. When you opened it it launched SteamOS and now your device is a little steam machine :D

Connect to any TV or use little display and connect steam controller now your gaming on the go.

Soldato
OP
No idea, that's why I asked :D
Erm, yes, its a tablet

What he means you need an Nvidia GPU for it to work and I also believe you must be on the same network for it to allow streaming.

This SteamOS device all GPUs will work and you dont need to be in the same network you can use 4G outside..

Correct me if am wrong. Might been updated since its release.

Caporegime
Nvidia are still trying to flog those? I would like to see them continue to support shield by releasing new devices like other tablet manufacturers with updated hardware and it might gain some traction if people knew this would be a supported platform.

The original shield had me interested but pricing and me (I don't think I would use it enough) turned me off that idea. I have no idea if they are good/bad but I can see the appeal to a decent handheld device that can play my steam library anywhere, I just don't think that is for me and I look forward to my "PC gaming time"

Caporegime
I'm with Greg, what is NV Shield?

If its a Device that you can stream your Desktop to but can't render games on its own then no, its not the same thing.

Think Game Boy or Playstation Vita updated, you can connect to the Tinternet via 3G/4G/Wifi download a Game From Steam and play it on that the same device.

Caporegime
Nvidia shield 1 was an android handheld console. It allowed steaming from an Nvidia gpu to play a game on it too(from your steam list, like steam streaming, but to android)
But since it was android. You could natively play android games on it too.
Shield two is just a tablet with the same capabilities, except with peripherals.

This steam will be a windows version of shield 1 (Or SteamOS, But that would suck). Anyone who's tried gaming on something like a surface 2 or 3 knows it's painful stuff natively.

Back
Top Bottom