AMD to power new Steam Handheld Device

Soldato
I've got a shield tablet, its a very good android tablet, cheaper than the equivalent google/samsung/apple, plays android games, and has its own market place for Shield android games that make use of the controller, plus it has grid so you can play PC games anywhere (free at the moment but possible subscription later) AND you can stream games in home from your own PC

And shankly
GameStream gaming outside of your home Wi-Fi network is a BETA feature. NVIDIA recommends internet bandwidth of 10Mbps from your PC down to SHIELD and 2Mbps from SHIELD up to your PC. Streaming experience may vary depending on the quality of your Internet.

Caporegime
You can stream from Desktop on any Android Device.

It looks like it is a bit like Shield, only difference probably being this will play Unix (OGL) and no doubt Vulkan Games, like having a Moblie Ubuntu or, well... SteamOS device.

Caporegime
You can stream From Desktop on any Android Device.

It looks like it is a bit like Shield, only difference probably being this will play Unix (OGL) and no doubt Vulkan Games, like having a Moblie Ubuntu or, well... SteamOS device.

Yeah. I've tried steaming games over my network to my phone.
It's not even close to being good enough. Yet steam streaming is perfection.

If it's anything other than windows then native gaming goes out of the window. And playing modern games natively on it.lol.

Soldato
You mean like when they released a new one?

The shield tablet is a year old, there is no replacement for it that i'm aware of.

Yer I did as well. It wasn't a good experience :(

I've tried a bit streaming and the receiving device will still need semi decent horse power to enable it to decode the transmission in time so you don't experience stutter and I imagine that was the problem with you phone. I'm not sure how it works but the benefit of Shield is Nvidia has managed to reduce latencies and lag which can effect the experience on other platforms.

Last edited:
Soldato
How is everyone comparing it with Shield but completely missing the part with the controls? I.e. the crucial part of handheld/mobile gaming?

But it's not running them though.

From what I understood it would be running some games natively, and being that it's a Steam client I assumed that it would support streaming as the other Steam clients do. Would be daft if it didn't seeing as Valve are hell bent on getting Steam on as many devices as possible at the moment.

Instead of developing games... :p

Back
Top Bottom