AMD to power new Steam Handheld Device

Soldato
AMD seems like a bad choice seeing as AMD cards use a LOT more power than equivalent nvidia hardware. Surely efficiency should be a main priority on a battery powered device like this?

Caporegime
If you mean the controller then it ceases to be a handheld device.

Shield 1 is completely handheld.
And I can't think of any modern android device that has controllers inbuilt.
I had an Xperia Play, but despite my yearning, there was never a successor. And every other device has really been a compromise, and ultimately a poor product. Shield 2's currently the best solution, albeit not truly hand held (But if you're after a completely handheld device, than Shield 2 isn't, applicable).

Last edited:
Soldato
AMD Jaguar APU, 4GB RAM, 32GB internal storage, a 720p touch screen and HDMI output with Steam OS that wont run all Steam titles for £250 in Q4 2016. :confused:

Not too impressed spec. In next few months we will see cheap new next gen tablets with skylake based Core-M CPU, 4GB RAM, 64GB SSD, 1080p for £250 running free Windows 10 Home will be able to run all Steam titles at lowest settings as skylake based GPUs fully supported DirectX 12 feature level 12_1 and 4K HDTV output. Then we could see next 2 gen tablets in Q4 2016 with Kaby Lake based Core-M CPU, possible 8GB RAM and 128GB SSD for £250.

Steam handheld will be obsolete when Kaby Lake will be out in 2016.

Soldato
As a shield owner (and recent recall victim) I can confirm that it easily streams all steam library games on the local network and they look stunning - the games really need to be controller friendly though. It also works outside the local network - i have used it on various hotel wifi networks in the US, Asia and Europe however to do this the spec sheet should really include "requires partner who understands why PC should remain on at all times, and is happy to restart PC at 2am local time if required"

Back
Top Bottom