• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD to unveil Zen 4 CPUs at CES 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
My prediction is 40,000 points in R23 with the higher 170 watt power for the 7950X.

Intel may push the power levels up even more to get to 42K with RTL, and call their 320 watt peak - 270 watt sustained CPU a "125 watt CPU" and i hope AMD just stick another core cluster on it.... 60,000 points, back in your box Intel this silliness is getting out of hand.

Associate
My prediction is 40,000 points in R23 with the higher 170 watt power for the 7950X.

Intel may push the power levels up even more to get to 42K with RTL, and call their 320 watt peak - 270 watt sustained CPU a "125 watt CPU" and i hope AMD just stick another core cluster on it.... 60,000 points, back in your box Intel this silliness is getting out of hand.
Yeah, RPL will be based on same node so no doubt that Zen 4 will have very good lead in performance/power consumption ratio, and very likely higher performance too.

Caporegime
Zen 4 isn't here but we have rumours about Zen 5 :D:cool:

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Leak-...nd-hugely-increased-core-counts.614335.0.html

Leak says about 30% ST improvement compared to Zen 4, which itself should be a 20% improvement over Zen 3. One can only dream :D

When i read sentences like this.

For performance, RedGamingTech reports that Zen 5’s IPC gains are bigger than Zen 3 to Zen 4. The leaker puts the number at 30% for single-threaded workloads.

I know the author doesn't understand what IPC is, IPC has nothing to do with "single-threaded workloads" CPU A can have identical IPC to CPU B but CPU B be 30% faster per core, anyone who can answer why understands IPC.

This sort of inaccurate reporting due to a lack of knowledge just leads to more quetions and that's why articles like it annoy me.

Last edited:
Soldato

I know the author doesn't understand what IPC is, IPC has nothing to do with "single-threaded workloads" CPU A can have identical IPC to CPU B but CPU B be 30% faster per core, anyone who can answer why understands IPC.

This sort of inaccurate reporting due to a lack of knowledge just leads to more quetions and that's why articles like it annoy me.

These leaks are either outright made up or have been passed through several people, each rephrasing them in their own words based on their own understanding. Either way it's good for entertainment rather than anything serious, especially this far off from release.

Soldato

Probably because it's fake

Soldato
Definitely guesswork. It's from redtechgaming, one of the most hyperbolic tech channels.

Also, they couldn't work out single threaded performance without knowing the final clock speed. When do prototypes ever operate at full clock speed?

AMD hasn't mentioned Zen 5 on roadmaps yet, nor the transistor tech it will use. It's nonsense.

Zen 4 will already provide a significant improvement in performance vs Zen 3, due to around 70% improvement in transistor density iirc.

Last edited:
Soldato
I do hope AMD continues their lower wattage SKUs with Zen 4 as well. Top-tier SKUs can and should be pushed for maximum performance though.

Given how AMD's recent entry level offerings have been received by reviewers vs what Intel has, I'd say AMD has taken a bit of a slap on the chin and hopefully that pushes them to come back strongly with fast and cheap Zen 4 65w entry level CPUs at launch day and not trying sell overpriced old tech 18 months later

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Zen 4 isn't here but we have rumours about Zen 5 :D:cool:

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Leak-...nd-hugely-increased-core-counts.614335.0.html

Leak says about 30% ST improvement compared to Zen 4, which itself should be a 20% improvement over Zen 3. One can only dream :D
Awesome if true. I will be trying to wait for a 100% increase in ST performance before I upgrade. I am guessing by Zen 7 and AM6 platform or whatever Intel has at the time :D

It is GPU’s that I upgrade every gen, not needed to do that with CPU’s in a decade now.

Soldato
Given how AMD's recent entry level offerings have been received by reviewers vs what Intel has, I'd say AMD has taken a bit of a slap on the chin and hopefully that pushes them to come back strongly with fast and cheap Zen 4 65w entry level CPUs at launch day and not trying sell overpriced old tech 18 months later

I wouldn't hold my breath, I expect DDR5 and AM5 motherboard prices to be high at launch, so not much sense for AMD to want to focus on cheap SKUs right at the beginning as early adopters are the ones who pay more. If there's money to pay AMD wants it in their own pockets.

Awesome if true. I will be trying to wait for a 100% increase in ST performance before I upgrade. I am guessing by Zen 7 and AM6 platform or whatever Intel has at the time :D

It is GPU’s that I upgrade every gen, not needed to do that with CPU’s in a decade now.

CPUs stagnated for the better part of a decade, no longer the case. If Zen 5 doesn't deliver a 50% ST upgrade compared to Zen 3, I'll be disappointed. That's also my target for upgrading, that's why I stuck with a 7700K on my gaming rig up until I got the 5800X (which gave more than 50% ST upgrade, but not quite 100%). But I also upgraded GPUs every generation as those made perfect sense. My target upgrade is Zen 5 or Zen 6, unless we get surprised with an awesome Zen 4 product.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
CPUs stagnated for the better part of a decade, no longer the case. If Zen 5 doesn't deliver a 50% ST upgrade compared to Zen 3, I'll be disappointed. That's also my target for upgrading, that's why I stuck with a 7700K on my gaming rig up until I got the 5800X (which gave more than 50% ST upgrade, but not quite 100%). But I also upgraded GPUs every generation as those made perfect sense. My target upgrade is Zen 5 or Zen 6, unless we get surprised with an awesome Zen 4 product.
True, but I do not like to upgrade for the sake of it just because there is something better. It needs to make a big difference for my use case. I would not upgrade in 2 years time just because there is a 50% uplift in ST performance unless at the time I feel I will really benefit from that. Unless one is a competitive gamer that needs 200+ fps or is finding the CPU to be a major bottleneck then I don’t see the point.

The bottleneck is almost always the GPU, especially at higher resolutions. In day to day use the 5900X is plenty fast and I can’t see that changing for a very very long time.

Zen 6 will likely be still AM5. I would rather just wait and go Zen 7 and AM6 if I can help it :D

Soldato
True, but I do not like to upgrade for the sake of it just because there is something better. It needs to make a big difference for my use case. I would not upgrade in 2 years time just because there is a 50% uplift in ST performance unless at the time I feel I will really benefit from that. Unless one is a competitive gamer that needs 200+ fps or is finding the CPU to be a major bottleneck then I don’t see the point.

The bottleneck is almost always the GPU, especially at higher resolutions. In day to day use the 5900X is plenty fast and I can’t see that changing for a very very long time.

Zen 6 will likely be still AM5. I would rather just wait and go Zen 7 and AM6 if I can help it :D

5900X was the product to buy for Zen 3 and still is (much better value compared to let's say a 5800X3D). I don't regret getting the 5800X though, it was the only thing I could buy at launch date :p But that means I'm more keen to upgrade this a little earlier, I could use more than 8 cores. But I won't buy first gen AM5, better to wait and let DDR5 and AM5 motherboards go down in price.

I have several computers so I plan to trickle down parts as I upgrade the gaming rig. The Xeon in my NAS is great (got it for £125 :D) but poor ST performance and thermals are noticeable compared to modern CPUs so an upgrade would be good.

Soldato
Lets hope AMD have a big jump in ST performance for Zen 4, DF just released a video on the UE5 City demo and they say it seems to be very CPU limited. But then it might not be well optimised either.

Still.. a big jump in ST would be welcome anyway.

Soldato
Lets hope AMD have a big jump in ST performance for Zen 4, DF just released a video on the UE5 City demo and they say it seems to be very CPU limited. But then it might not be well optimised either.

Still.. a big jump in ST would be welcome anyway.

Needs to be optimized

Soldato

AMD are dumping old parts - a year too late

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
ut61rLz.jpeg

AMD is still behind quite a bit in ST if these results are accurate though. Either that or the game/demo just prefers Intel, for whatever reason.
I think it is an optimisation issue personally. How the hell is a 3600X ahead of a 5900X? I would not read into any of those results personally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom